Timeline for 3 fails shoulder surgeries

Deatshoo1

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Background: I have been in the air force for 13 years and have had 3 surgeries on my left shoudler over the past 8 years. I am still having considerable pain, ROM issues and weakness in the limb. After speaking with my dr for over an hour during 2 appointments, she finally said that she would initate a MEB. She said that she sat down and reviewed my records for an hour and a half and then told me yesterday that she is going to initate the MEB. I got my 469 today but its Code 31. Is that normal for it to start as a code 31? Either way, I will post my timeline and updates accordingly.

15 July 19 - Dr initiated MEB process and assigned Code 31 none deployable.

So I am not Air Forces but looking at the manual a code 31 does not seem right. From what I am reading a code 31 is a non duty physical disqualification which would initiate the DES process that will only determine fit or unfit status with no disability benefits. If you are on active duty and this happened while on active duty I would ask around and ensure that this is correct. Someone else on this forum can chime in and correct me if I am wrong but I would start asking about it now so that way down the road you don't get screwed.

Background: I have been in the air force for 13 years and have had 3 surgeries on my left shoudler over the past 8 years. I am still having considerable pain, ROM issues and weakness in the limb. After speaking with my dr for over an hour during 2 appointments, she finally said that she would initate a MEB. She said that she sat down and reviewed my records for an hour and a half and then told me yesterday that she is going to initate the MEB. I got my 469 today but its Code 31. Is that normal for it to start as a code 31? Either way, I will post my timeline and updates accordingly.

When my PCM told me he would initiate my MEB, code 31 was placed on my 469.
from there the IRILO part stared. which is a small board that gets together and agrees or disagree if I need to go through an MEB.
They agreed and sent my package to AFPC, which then came back as UNFIT. (my packaged included a NARSUM and Letter of Impact from Commander)
3 weeks later my C&P Exams were scheduled and now waiting for my NARSUM to come back and then sent out to the VA

Hope this helps. I know it can be confusing.

When my PCM told me he would initiate my MEB, code 31 was placed on my 469.
from there the IRILO part stared. which is a small board that gets together and agrees or disagree if I need to go through an MEB.
They agreed and sent my package to AFPC, which then came back as UNFIT. (my packaged included a NARSUM and Letter of Impact from Commander)
3 weeks later my C&P Exams were scheduled and now waiting for my NARSUM to come back and then sent out to the VA

Hope this helps. I know it can be confusing.

Thank you for your timeline. I was curious about the Code 31 and I talked with my dr's assistant and they are going to ask the question as to why 31 and not 37. Also got results back and i have degerative arthritis in my upper and lower back. Dr assistant said that will be added to MEB package as well. I just did my functional exam at with physical therapy and scored 26% disabled on their scale. I am not sure what that computes to but it was a very difficult exam that they had me do and was painful.

16 July 19 - Functional exam by physical therapy

I am stationed at Offutt, does anyone have a timeline that I should hear from the PEBLO or if I should reach out to them?

Called the PEBLO office to seek information about my case. I was told that the DAWG will be reviewing my Drs NARSUM as well as my mental health providers notes about my Depression, Anxiety, and PTSD. It will be interesting to see what they suggest next tuesday. I am hoping that since my functional exam for my shoulder showed "POC performed functional assessment, demonstrated limited ability to perform multiple testing, has limited range of motion and proceeds many of the test to be very difficult." I am hoping that this will be sufficient for the DAWG to see that my shoulder has gotten worse as the years have gone on.

29 July 19 - Spoke with PEBLO, DAWG review will be conducted 6 August

The DAWG met yesterday and did a review of my records along with the NARSUM from my PCM. I didn't get any coorisponance from the PEBLO or my PCM yesterday. I checked Tricareonline to see if anything was posted and nothing. I sent my PCM a relay message this morning asking about the review and recieved this from them. My anxiety about this over the course of the last 2 weeks has now decreased but at the same time new stuff is coming up. *Names removed for security*

"Sir,

Per Capt XXXX, you will require an MEB for your shoulder but not for mental health. However, there will be an addendum for your MH submitted with the MEB. This can be a lengthy process so standby for more information to come.

Thank you for using secure messaging.

Maj XXXXX, RN "

7 Aug 19 - Secure message to PCM / DAWG review "you will require an MEB for your shoulder "

I just happened to check my Tricareonline encounters after speaking with the PEBLO yesterday and had this note:

Reason for Telephone Consult:Written by xxxxx @ 20 Aug 2019 1513 CDT
DAWG REVIEW
S/O Note Written by xxxxxxx A @ 20 Aug 2019 1521 CDT
Subjective
Member's condition was reviewed for possible IRILO and per MSD dated 11 Jun 19, Line V3 requires IRILO. Code 37 MR profile placed +DR, +FR.
A/P Last Updated by xxxxxxx @ 20 Aug 2019 1521 CDT
1. Pain in left shoulder
Disposition Last Updated by xxxxxxx @ 20 Aug 2019 1521 CDT
Other Not Elsewhere Classified

Looks like things are going further towards full MEB. Does anyone know wha the "+DR, +FR" mean?

7 Aug 19 - Secure message to PCM / DAWG review "you will require an MEB for your shoulder"
20 Aug 19 - DAWG places code 37

When you go through your Narsum, make sure everything is noted. Example for your shoulder if you have more than just pain, like instability or weakness or ROM issues make sure those are input in there. My MEB was for my knee, I have had 5 surgeries and my note was MEB for pain. That almost messed with my percentages.

When you go through your Narsum, make sure everything is noted. Example for your shoulder if you have more than just pain, like instability or weakness or ROM issues make sure those are input in there. My MEB was for my knee, I have had 5 surgeries and my note was MEB for pain. That almost messed with my percentages.

I did a functional exam with the physical therapist on base and he stated that my ROM and instability should be in the NARSUM that my PCM is working on. I have a meeting tomorrow with my CC to go over his intent letter. Thank you though for remidning me that I need to esure that everything is in the package that gets sent up. I do have an appointment with my PCM next week, I will be sure to bring that up at during the appointment.

I just saw that my Code 37 was placed in IMR.

7 Aug 19 - Secure message to PCM / DAWG review "you will require an MEB for your shoulder"
20 Aug 19 - DAWG recommeds MEB and code 37
21 Aug 19 - Code 37 placed

I sat down with my commander and 1st Sgt yesterday about his intent letter and explained my situation and he asked me what I wanted going forward. I expressed that at this time I do not feel that I can fully coply with my AFSC required duites because of my limitations. I recieved a copy of it today for my signature and it stated "do not retain" I am hoping that when this goes to AFPC, it will ensure that my process goes quickly, but I do understand that it could take time.

23 Aug 19 - Commanders Intent letter signed "Do Not Retain"

Just received an email from my PEBLO:

"I received your Initial RILO (review-in-lieu-of medical board). Upon review of your Initial RILO determination, the Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) has decided to recommend you for enrollment in the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) for a full Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) for your medical/mental health condition to determine your fitness for duty. (See attached FL4).
I need you to contact my office to arrange a time as soon as possible to fill out some administrative paperwork, and so I can brief you on the MEB process and answer any questions you may have. I also need to make you aware of some of your responsibilities that are required for this MEB action. I have attached some of the forms we will go over during your counseling."

So that is good news and reviewing the FL4 it states "Please do a full MEB as noted above".

5 Sep 19 - Meeting w/PEBLO and sign paperwork for IDES

Just getting caught up on your journey. The next step for you will be to scheudle a meeting with the VA MSC. They will go over everything in your medical records with you so you can figure out what you are claiming for the VA. It sounds like you will only have one referred condition. This will be important if they find you UNFIT for duty. If your referred condition is rated less than 30%, you will be separated. If it is rated 30% or greater, that referred condition percentage will become your retirement percentage up to 75%. Shoulder is a tough one to get a high single rating on.

If you are wanting to get out of the service, and you feel like your mental health stuff is preventing you from performing your job and will affect you when you leave the service, make sure you start fighting it now. Go back to your MH provider and get your provider notes updated.

Standing by for more questions.

Just getting caught up on your journey. The next step for you will be to scheudle a meeting with the VA MSC. They will go over everything in your medical records with you so you can figure out what you are claiming for the VA. It sounds like you will only have one referred condition. This will be important if they find you UNFIT for duty. If your referred condition is rated less than 30%, you will be separated. If it is rated 30% or greater, that referred condition percentage will become your retirement percentage up to 75%. Shoulder is a tough one to get a high single rating on.

If you are wanting to get out of the service, and you feel like your mental health stuff is preventing you from performing your job and will affect you when you leave the service, make sure you start fighting it now. Go back to your MH provider and get your provider notes updated.

Standing by for more questions.

I see my MH provider on a weekly basis but he said that I would have to see him for at least 6 months to add any of that to the MEB. At this point, I don't want this to drag out any longer that it has to. I am hoping for an UNFIT determination. Seems like everything is pointing in that direction.

So a little bit of an update. Apparently my dental records were sitting at Bolling AFB but my medical records are here at offutt. The Peblo had to request the records be sent back and that "I have delayed my case by 2 to 4 weeks." Those are their words not mine. So my question is, can I request that the PEBLO send over the medical records now and deal with the dental separate so that I can get my C & P exams going or is it a requirement that both have to be sent together.

Well I guess by going in person to talk with the Dental Clinic and the PEBLO, that got the ball rolling because not 24hrs later the PEBLO calls to inform me that she is sending over the documents to the VA rep. Met with the VA rep and was with them for 2 hrs getting everything filled out. Looks like 1 referred condition and 17 other conditions. Now just waiting for the phone call that will give me my examination dates.

1 Oct 19 - Met with VA MSC to fill out paperwork, 1 referred condition and 17 other conditions

Well I guess by going in person to talk with the Dental Clinic and the PEBLO, that got the ball rolling because not 24hrs later the PEBLO calls to inform me that she is sending over the documents to the VA rep. Met with the VA rep and was with them for 2 hrs getting everything filled out. Looks like 1 referred condition and 17 other conditions. Now just waiting for the phone call that will give me my examination dates.

1 Oct 19 - Met with VA MSC to fill out paperwork, 1 referred condition and 17 other conditions
I’m right behind brother I meet with the VA MSC next Thursday. Did you bring a list of the things you wanted to claim?

I’m right behind brother I meet with the VA MSC next Thursday. Did you bring a list of the things you wanted to claim?
I did not but I have an extensive list that I memorized because of everything that I have going physically. They will go thorugh your medical records to see if anything is still an issue and they will also ask if there are other things you want to claim.

I did not but I have an extensive list that I memorized because of everything that I have going physically. They will go thorugh your medical records to see if anything is still an issue and they will also ask if there are other things you want to claim.
Ok good to know....Thanks

You would be helping yourself greatly if you reviewed the summary listing in your HAIMS and AHLTA. The summary is typically the first 1-4 pages and will have a table with all of your diagnoses you have had while in the military. Go through each of those and have a brief explanation for what happened. This will also come in handy when you go do the VA C7P exams as the doctor will ask you the same things.