Timeline for separations/retirement

I have question which I hope is applicable to this forum. I am in the process of my MEB to PEB so I will start keeping tabs and post what I learn here since I certainly see the value and I greatly appreciate the information I have found through this site.

My questions is: Once you are found “unfit” how long to have until you separate. I am concerned because I was told 90 days originally, now I am hearing in might me less.

After over 22 years of AD in the Army, all of which in Special Forces, I was hoping to have a little more time to get my affairs in order. Since most folks get at least 6 months to prep for retirement, plus permissive TDY, Terminal Leave, etc. now with over 22 years I have may have less than 90 days… Can anyone tell me where I can find the Regulations that state the time lines for this process? I still have at least one more good fight left in me and I would certainly launch a Congressional Investigation to see if we can get the doctrine changed if in fact this is the case. It seems to me like they are treating the wounded warriors more like common criminals by booting us to curb as soon as we are found unfit.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

tbookless,

Welcome! This post has a detailed graphic timeline: http://www.pebforum.com/army-discussion/236-slide-army-pdes-elements-timeline.html

You will see the answer given is 30-90 days, but a lot will depend on your local command (they can slow things down, by granting Permissive TDY, holding up your appointments at Transition Point, etc.; they can also speed things up by allowing you to go to transition appointments early and often, or by not giving you PTDY, etc.).

The timelines are not in the law, it is a guideline from DoD Instruction 1332.38.

I hope everything went well with your PEB and you have a smooth transition to civilian life. Please let us know other questions.

If you didn't have a formal, ask for one. That will buy you some time and perhaps a higher rating.

Mike