TIMELINE: MEB THROUGH PEB

The question on most of our minds is this:

How long is it all going to take?

This is an attempt to answer that question, but it's going to take all of us to do it. The idea is to give a very detailed account of the timeline of each person's case. It's one thing to say "in February I was tumpy tumpy" but there's a world of difference and two pay periods between the beginning of the month and end of it.

Somwhere there's the theory if the sample population (ours here) is large enough, it comes to represent the whole (all military members going through this). If there are enough people who take notes and are good at remembering dates, or do like I do and keep a monthly planner you can keep notes in, then it would go a long way to easing others' minds about how long they should really expect things to take.

I want to thank you all for participating!

-Guy

After reviewing this thread for 100th time, I'm starting to loose faith. This is week 8 my package will have been at AFPC and still nothing. My PEBLO even said there is one there from the base that is older than mine. I asked her if she could check the package status (I just want to know if it has been reviewed or not) and she said there is no way to tell. How can this be? You mean to tell me that all these PEB packages are sent somewhere and there is no order or orgainization of how they are processed and reviewed? I keep reading about people getting results back in 6-7.5 weeks, so I'm really starting to loose faith in this whole thing. I keep thinking mine is stuck at the bottom of some box with new ones being placed on top of it everyday :(

Hello NDSportTrac

Wow, hang in there first of all....I have a totally different experience with my package and with my PEBLO.

I am active duty Navy, my PEBLO recieves a tracker every Friday via e-mail, listing all the PEB packages she has sent out. Every Friday I call and bug her for Friday's updates.

She keeps all Sailors, current on packages and gives us up to date information on the status of our packages.

I am sorry to hear that this experience is going badly for you. I just found out that my package has been finalized. I am just waiting to see the end result. Good luck with yours.
R/
Carmen

NDsporttrac,

I feel you! On week 8 myself. About two weeks ago they came back and asked for more info and have heard nothing back. Was suppose to to TAPS this week but since there is still nothing back from the IPEB my supervision killed it and wants me to wait until I get results back...so I will probably be behind the curve when the results finally do show up!

Hang in there.

I received the below info on a ppt slide, 14 slides. WT= Warrior Transition, meaning they are in a WTU. Its only an average, some quicker than others depending on injuries, etc.

WT AVERAGE 125 DAYS

NON WT AVERAGE 90 DAYS

MEB AVERAGE 106 DAYS

MED board initiated (Jul 2008)
MED board submitted to PEB (SEP 23, 2008)
More infor requested from PEB (Nov 05, 2008)
PEB results back in (Nov 21, 2008)

Fit For Active Duty

What a nighmare process. Very happy with the results....stupid that I ever went through it. If my leadership had just removed me from the deployment and let me finish my treatment the hospital never would have had to do the MEB.....now they have a MSgt that is returned to duty with a C Code (Air Force) and can't deploy...their loss my gain.

MED board initiated (Jul 2008)
MED board submitted to PEB (SEP 23, 2008)
More infor requested from PEB (Nov 05, 2008)
PEB results back in (Nov 21, 2008)

Fit For Active Duty

What a nighmare process. Very happy with the results....stupid that I ever went through it. If my leadership had just removed me from the deployment and let me finish my treatment the hospital never would have had to do the MEB.....now they have a MSgt that is returned to duty with a C Code (Air Force) and can't deploy...their loss my gain.

I agree with the nightmare scenario. When they found me fit to for active duty, I went through my overseas screening, and was found unfit for worldwide assignment. That meant they were going to begin an administrative separation for not being able to fulfill needs of the service. After asking PEB for reconsideration, they found me unfit at 50% TDRL. It's better than an Admin Sep. I just wish that the PEB was final, and that when they say FIT TO CONTINUE.. IT MEANS IT.

Good Luck To You

USAF Timeline

Jan08 - Diagnosed
August08 - MEB initiated
Sep 25th 08 - MEB Un-Fit finding, forward to PEB
Dec 8th 08 - PEB Results back, discharge with severance 10% (11 weeks)
Dec 18th 08 - Separation Orders recieved (10 days)

Hi everyone,

I am currently active duty Air Force. I am a new kid on the block here at this forum. I am right now going through a MEB for depression. I have seen a lot of people talk about their experiences and I would like to share my story with you all. My story is a little lengthy, but I would like to share this to you the best way possible via timeline.

(May 2005) - Checked in to Mental Health, diagnosed (*Self Referred*)

(June 2005 - August 2006) - continued visits to Mental Health
(September 2006) - PCSed
(January 2007) - Clearance Suspended on the basis of my medical condition. My clearance was flagged for a renewal.
(March 2007) - AFSC removed due to my diagnosed condition
(August 2007 - July 2008) - Put into retraining status.
(July 2008) - Clearance revoked. Ability to retraining is revoked due to the clearance.
(July - November 2008) - MEB package written / finalized
(mid November 2008 - now) - Sent to Randolph. Awaiting details

My doctor who wrote my package told me that everyone she wrote on got put on the temporary disability status. Looks like I should start packing my bags quickly since a decision is due anytime!

One thing I ponder: The reason for my clearance was suspended was based on a condition that was found in my previous assignment. If my condition is significant enough for my clearance to be suspended/revoked, why didn't my previous assignment suspended me then? I am working on getting an explaination on this via formal complaint.

On a personal note, I would never recommend anyone in the military with a security clearance to go to mental health unless they care to see their career to go down the toliet. Look what happened in my case - I did absolutely NOTHING WRONG (no DUI, no drugs, no mandatory referral) and I had mine removed. The military is a catch-22 when it comes to their promotion of the mental health system. When people say going to mental health won't impact your career, don't believe them - because it can.

Galagaman,

Welcome, it is good to have you here!

You raise valid points. It is not clear that they did the right thing in your case, but everyone has to weigh the risks in seeking help versus the medical need to get help. Given the push to "de-stigmatize" mental health treatment, and depending on the facts of your case, you might be able to successfully challenge what happened to you. But, this does not detract from your point that there are issues and risks associated with mental health treatment and its impact on security clearances. From my experiences, I have seen some pretty serious mental health cases not result in revocation and some minor issues result in suspension/revocation. So, the application of the rules and regulations can be very arbitrary.

I hope all goes well for you and you get a good outcome.

Jason:

thank you for the reply. While I know it is probably beyond impossible to reverse the damage done in my situation, I can only hope for a favorable outcome. In addition, I am raising these questions because there is a lot of things that just don't add up. If they are doing this to me, chances are someone else out there might be exposed to something similar. Because of that, I filed the IG complaint to address the procedures done in my situation. My previous base was also a PRP assignment. With that, I think there is major concern that the Mental Health Clinic at my last assignment isn't following their procedures correctly. I am pressing for answers as much as I can.

If you are interested in ever seeing this complaint and the answers that are provided back, let me know and I will provide you a copy.

Timeline through VA/DOD pilot program

Feb 3 2008 MEB reccomended by Psych, Pulmonologist, and provider.
July 15 2008 MEB recommended by main provider again since nothing was actually started by anybody.
Aug 13 2008 Contacted by PEBLO. Informed I am part of meb process
Aug 14 2008 Counseled by PEBLO about MEB and given timeline
Aug 18 2008 Meeting with MSC to start VA Claim
Aug 25 2008 Given appt for physical with MEB doc by PEBLO and list of 9 other medical appoints with docs for and under the VA claim (sheesh!) All of those are within the next three weeks.
Sept-Oct 2008 Attended VA medical appointments
Dec 4 2008 Given briefing by MEB for cover letter to packet
Dec 17 2008 Due to sign 3947. Explained nobody knows the answer on what to do with my current situation which is that my packet went forward without first having several VA C&P exams I was scheduled for but the VA canceled due to bad weather (Tropical Storm came through) Including the main PHYSICAL ITSELF!!!!! Packet going forward but how will PEB rate me on conditions if they are found unfit?
Jan 5 2009 Waiting on Commanders Letter. Holding up Packet. Also noticed my packet was lacking most of my medical records.
Jan 12 2009 Packet Sent to PEB.
Jan 21 2009 IPEB Results without rating back. Found unfit and stable for Asthma, Migraines, Bipolar, Bronchiectasis. Found unfit and unstable PTSD. Waiting on Results from VA available in about two weeks.
Feb 3 2009 Phone Call IPEB with ratings and VA ratings in
Feb 4 2009 Signed that I agree with IPEB results of Unfit but disagreed with rating VA gave for one condition. IPEB Results are 90% Army / 100% VA. Due to hear back from VA Appeal in estimated 3 week time while my orders for TDRL are processed.
FEB 9 2009 Signed up for ACAP and all the classes I was apparently suppose to of taken BEFORE or DURING the MEB but was not informed to do. Makes sense to now take classes explaining how the MEB process works or how to prepare a VA claim AFTER the fact. Informed I cannot clear or outprocess until classes are done but some classes are only taught once a month and are booked for at least the next four months. How am I going to be discharged?

That is truly great news and I wish you well as you enter a new phase in your life. Please continue to contribute to the forum as you have in the past because your success story gives hope to all.

fdm

Has anyone had experience with the informal PEB at Ft. Sam Houston? The board received my case 5 February. My PEBLO said a decision could be reached as early as the next day, which I doubted (It didn't). I'm just wondering how long it took for some decisions to come back.

The process should only take a few weeks. A day to process a case is flat out not going to happen.

Believe it or not, it took Ft. Sam Houston just a day to make its decision. TDRL with 40% disability for major depressive disorder with anxiety and neurocardiogenic syncope. Does that rating sound about right? I'm supposed to meet with my PEBLO tomorrow.

So, now what? I have 90 days to separate from Active Duty and I'll be re-evaluated every 12 to 18 months up to five years. I'll receive 50% of my monthly base pay for an O1. Is that all right? How does the decision to re-enlist work if I'm medically cleared? I'm an O1 branched Armor. Wo

The process should only take a few weeks. A day to process a case is flat out not going to happen.

Goes to show, you should never say never. Still, that speed in processing is very unusual. Other posters/members should not expect results that fast.

As to your understanding of the process, your mostly right. Only thing is that your percentage is applied to "base retired pay" (average of highest 36 months of base pay), not your current base pay.

If you are later found fit, you need to apply for a commission, which should be granted if you are otherwise eligible (i.e., in the interim, you have not been disqualified from holding a commission for other reasons).

How do I calculate my base retired pay (average of highest 36 months of base pay) for an O1 with one year of AD service?

Goes to show, you should never say never. Still, that speed in processing is very unusual. Other posters/members should not expect results that fast.

As to your understanding of the process, your mostly right. Only thing is that your percentage is applied to "base retired pay" (average of highest 36 months of base pay), not your current base pay.

If you are later found fit, you need to apply for a commission, which should be granted if you are otherwise eligible (i.e., in the interim, you have not been disqualified from holding a commission for other reasons).

Hello,

I believe the answer is that with less than 36 months on active duty, they will calculate your retired base pay by adding the base pay for each month you did serve and dividing by the total months served.

That is correct. That is per a DOD Financial Management Regulation. I have posted the cite somewhere else, if interested, you can search for that thread.

One day for results. That is...exceptional. Congratulations on that alone, and also for the retirement rating! :D