Spooky731

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi all. I'm relatively new here. I've posted a couple other times and received awesome feedback so I'll give it another go on a new thought/question.

What is the average timeline for one to receive a formal VA Rating when retired/separated via the IDES process?

I've scoured the site a bit and I'm finding that it could be anywhere from 10 days to 5 months.

Is there anyone out there who recently received a formal (not just proposed) VA rating? If so, how long ago did you have to wait once you were retired/separated?

Thank you in advance. My timeline is now in my signature block.

A 5 weeks.

You need to make sure they receive your DD214 as soon as possible. They don't start the final claim until they have the DD214 and you are actually fully out of the military. I got my DD214 at my final out date and they sent a copy to the VA. This made it so my retirement date the VA restarted the claim process to get the final ratings on my retirement date. The claim moved through the system pretty fast and I got the money in my bank account for back pay middle of the month and then the full amount at the end of that month. I didn't receive a copy of the final decision for about a month after I got the money.

A 5 weeks.

You need to make sure they receive your DD214 as soon as possible. They don't start the final claim until they have the DD214 and you are actually fully out of the military. I got my DD214 at my final out date and they sent a copy to the VA. This made it so my retirement date the VA restarted the claim process to get the final ratings on my retirement date. The claim moved through the system pretty fast and I got the money in my bank account for back pay middle of the month and then the full amount at the end of that month. I didn't receive a copy of the final decision for about a month after I got the money.
My retirement date is December 29, 2015. I haven't received my official rating yet. Did you add any additional claims after you received your proposed rating? Also, did you receive your last military pay check before you got your VA compensation?

Hi all. I'm relatively new here. I've posted a couple other times and received awesome feedback so I'll give it another go on a new thought/question.

What is the average timeline for one to receive a formal VA Rating when retired/separated via the IDES process?

I've scoured the site a bit and I'm finding that it could be anywhere from 10 days to 5 months.

Is there anyone out there who recently received a formal (not just proposed) VA rating? If so, how long ago did you have to wait once you were retired/separated?

Thank you in advance. My timeline is now in my signature block.
In my particular situation after official placement onto the DoD military TDRL, my DoVA rating decision document was completed in 30 calendar days albeit I didn't receive my DoVA official ratings documentation via USPS first class mail until 77 calendar days. Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

My retirement date is December 29, 2015. I haven't received my official rating yet.
You probably won't receive the official ratings decision in the mail for a few months, March maybe. But the pay will start before that, likely late Jan/early Feb time frame.
Did you add any additional claims after you received your proposed rating?
No, my understanding is that doing so will delay things much more. Most recommend waiting until you get the official rating letter then filing a NOD, which is what I did.
Also, did you receive your last military pay check before you got your VA compensation?
Pretty close to the same time, I think the last military check came slightly after the first VA check.

You probably won't receive the official ratings decision in the mail for a few months, March maybe. But the pay will start before that, likely late Jan/early Feb time frame.

No, my understanding is that doing so will delay things much more. Most recommend waiting until you get the official rating letter then filing a NOD, which is what I did.

Pretty close to the same time, I think the last military check came slightly after the first VA check.
Thanks for answering all of my questions. I was really confused about all of it. No one really explained it to me. I was told I would be receiving my disability compensation on January 1st but that didn't sound right because I just retired on the 29th. I didn't realize it would take months to get my rating. I thought it would be automatic once I retired. This information was really helpful.

I understand I'll get the actual rating snail mail from the VA months down the road, but does the letter in Ebenefits generate quicker once I am out? I retire on 30 Jan and am already talking to an SSDI lawyer. I want to be able to show SS that both DOD and VA have found me 100%. I know that doesn't mean automatic SSDI approval, but a 100% PT let sure can't hurt either... I just don't want to wait months for it.

The ability to print letters that verified my disability rating from ebenefits worked the same day I got the backpay. Which I used to start the VA home loan process.

My eBenefits says Preparation for Decision. I am not sure if this is referring to my original claim or my additional claims. I was told by the VA to claim 9 more disabilities after they reviewed my medical record. I was told by a VA rep that if I applied before I was discharged, I would receive the back pay for the additional claims also. But I am confused if I will have to wait for my new rating to receive my disability compensation or will I be compensated for my original rating until they calculate my new rate. eBenefits does not show any rating for me yet.

A 5 weeks.

Thank you for your response! Do you know if the timeline depends on the location/region? I'm in Las Vegas. My last duty station was in Ohio. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. As of today, I am at 45 days post retirement and 40 days post DD214 submission. I retired on a Saturday. My DD214 was not available to me until the following Monday. I submitted it 2 days later in person and also via eBenefits. I also requested for a copy to be sent directly to the VA in Nevada when I initially completed documentation for it prior to going on terminal leave.

My retirement date is December 29, 2015. I haven't received my official rating yet. Did you add any additional claims after you received your proposed rating? Also, did you receive your last military pay check before you got your VA compensation?

No. Similar to what ScoutCC said earlier, I was advised to not add or contest anything until after I have receive a formal/final rating. This can lengthen the time it takes for the VA to decide.

In my particular situation after official placement onto the DoD military TDRL, my DoVA rating decision document was completed in 30 calendar days albeit I didn't receive my DoVA official ratings documentation via USPS first class mail until 77 calendar days. Take care! :cool:

Thank you for your response! Do you know if the timeline depends on the location/region? I'm in Las Vegas. My last duty station was in Ohio. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. As of today, I am at 45 days post retirement and 40 days post DD214 submission.

Thanks for answering all of my questions. I was really confused about all of it. No one really explained it to me. I was told I would be receiving my disability compensation on January 1st but that didn't sound right because I just retired on the 29th. I didn't realize it would take months to get my rating. I thought it would be automatic once I retired. This information was really helpful.

I was told that the VA pays in the "rears." Thus, your January payment will not come until February. That is if you get a formal/final VA decision before then. If this doesn't occur (my current situation), you will be back payed what you are owed starting with January (Since you retired in December).

My eBenefits says Preparation for Decision. I am not sure if this is referring to my original claim or my additional claims. I was told by the VA to claim 9 more disabilities after they reviewed my medical record. I was told by a VA rep that if I applied before I was discharged, I would receive the back pay for the additional claims also. But I am confused if I will have to wait for my new rating to receive my disability compensation or will I be compensated for my original rating until they calculate my new rate. eBenefits does not show any rating for me yet.

I was told that you have up to one year after retirement to appeal ratings or add additional items/findings. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I think that one must have at least a formal/final VA decision in order to do this? Otherwise, it could make the decision process more lengthy.

Thank you for your response! Do you know if the timeline depends on the location/region? I'm in Las Vegas. My last duty station was in Ohio. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. As of today, I am at 45 days post retirement and 40 days post DD214 submission.
Indeed, you are welcome! :)

Hmm, not sure albeit your VA official ratings from the DoD IDES are finalized by the same DoVA D-RAS in which your DoD IDES case file was originally sent to be evaluated for VA disability compensation percentages. Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I'm in a similar situation I retired Dec 27 2015 and my ebenefits don't show up a completion date for my compensation, I have called the VA a few times and they say it's in the final stage, I received my last army check Dec 28 or so. does anybody know when I will be receiving my VA compensation? I received a very small amount mid Jan I think it was the days I sold back to the army. Any info will help, thanks in advance

I'm in a similar situation I retired Dec 27 2015 and my ebenefits don't show up a completion date for my compensation, I have called the VA a few times and they say it's in the final stage, I received my last army check Dec 28 or so. does anybody know when I will be receiving my VA compensation? I received a very small amount mid Jan I think it was the days I sold back to the army. Any info will help, thanks in advance
Did you medically retire or separate? I got 30% from the DoD so I was retired. I received a very small pay from DFAS-CLEVELAND RETSPCL to cover 28-30NOV. Shortly after I received retirement pay paperwork via certified mail which disclosed the accurate amounts that I will receive until I start receiving VA Compensation (I'm not eligible to receive both).

My VA claim is also in the final stages... Retired a month before you (yes every claim is different)... Still waiting. I did receive an update today but it's rather confusing. I'm not sure why but they added an estimated completion date suddenly. -see pic uploaded- image.jpg Before it just said that "the regional office is unable to estimate a completion date on this type of claim." The date has been exceeded but it's there... Hopefully it is now on someone's list to do.

Did you medically retire or separate? I got 30% from the DoD so I was retired. I received a very small pay from DFAS-CLEVELAND RETSPCL to cover 28-30NOV. Shortly after I received retirement pay paperwork via certified mail which disclosed the accurate amounts that I will receive until I start receiving VA Compensation (I'm not eligible to receive both).

My VA claim is also in the final stages... Retired a month before you (yes every claim is different)... Still waiting. I did receive an update today but it's rather confusing. I'm not sure why but they added an estimated completion date suddenly. -see pic uploaded- View attachment 1870 Before it just said that "the regional office is unable to estimate a completion date on this type of claim." The date has been exceeded but it's there... Hopefully it is now on someone's list to do.

Hi, thanks for the quick response. yes I was retired with 40% dod and 90%VA. i have not received yet any letter from DFAS but i can see on mypay that my retirement pay amount is already there and mid month JAN i received 2 deposits to my account both of them very small, one was from dfas the other one was from finance 299th regiment or something like that. my ebenefits shows review of evidence and like i said before they told me it was in the final stage, i dont have any new claims just the initial ones from IDES. I am just hoping the va will finalize everything by the end of the month so i can receive that since the retirement pay isnt much, in the case i dont receive va compensation feb 1st they should back pay that correct?

Hi, thanks for the quick response. yes I was retired with 40% dod and 90%VA. i have not received yet any letter from DFAS but i can see on mypay that my retirement pay amount is already there and mid month JAN i received 2 deposits to my account both of them very small, one was from dfas the other one was from finance 299th regiment or something like that. my ebenefits shows review of evidence and like i said before they told me it was in the final stage, i dont have any new claims just the initial ones from IDES. I am just hoping the va will finalize everything by the end of the month so i can receive that since the retirement pay isnt much, in the case i dont receive va compensation feb 1st they should back pay that correct?
I cannot speculate whether the claim processed by end of month but I do know that they Will back pay you in the event that your claim is finalized later. I'll let you know if/when anything happens with my claim. If yours has not had any developments maybe it could give you a better eta estimate. Hopefully yours won't take as long as mine is taking though!

-going a little batty with the unknowns!

Best of Luck to you!

Spooky,

Re: "I was told that the VA pays in the "rears.""-----CLASSIC, sounds like something a VA Mensa would say.

Man, Just had a few things here, but, it snowballed into a few other tidbits:

First-----The VA will do many things to you in the rears if you'd like, most of the time you don't even have to ask for it. But, yes, in my very pleasurable experience the VA does make payments in ARREARS, and big payments too..... However, a more accurate description for your expectations could be that your payments (of a rate TBD) are retroactive to your ETS, date of claim, or date of condition incurred...yada, yada, etc. The term arrears to me implies your Debtor (USAF or VA) knows the rate at which they need to backpay you, however, that %rate is tbd att.

Second-----but not in order of importance: best of luck on getting everything sorted out with your claim/bene's. It's definitely worth the effort AND EXTRA TIME to make sure you've structured and documented your claim to appropriately show what happened, provided the records, and how your condition should be rated at XX% because you measured your conditions against the CFR ratings criteria definitions. A good claim takes a lot of time, I'd guess I spent literally 100?, 120? man hours putting together a recent comprehensive claim? I like to take out the guesswork and cut down on frustration for PEB Board Evaluators and/or VA Claims folks........and it has paid off tremendously. Keep in mind with the VA who exactly is doing your claims intake and/or initial eval......not and $80k per year job. If your info is not in order and well presented and they have to try and understand hundreds.....thousands....of pages of docs and put it all together...you get the point.

Third------Preparation for Decision on ebenefits pretty much means your dunski or close to dunski with your claim.....but, if you want to know a dirty little trick. Click the Fully Developed Claim Box and you'll get your answer within 30 days. Doing this takes your regular claim and kicks it to the front of the FDC cue....and if they already have all your materials who cares?

4th----If your really fucked up physically.....man, pay for and keep the TRICARE if it's not in your retirement or whatever
5th----Let me reiterate, if you want to live, make progress in pain treatment, whatever your deal is,......DO NOT rely on the VA as your primary and/or sole.....just use VA for labs, scrips, CT, MRI's, they are simply to overloaded... I guess many would chastise me for saying that....but whatev's, I ain't stopping anyone from going to get free shitty gov't care.

6th----USAF TACP / JTAC 1999 - 2007, MEB'd

my claim status has just changed to "under review" it states in ebenefits that it should go to preparing for decision if no evidence is needed, i guess this is a good thing in the sense that my claim is moving. Also, I am able to see my VA letters now before i didnt have access to them, although i cant see the disability information since its not finalized yet

Hooray! My claim status changed to "Pending Decision Approval!" I also got a whole slew of emails from the VA explaining various benefits, opportunities, and services. This is good right? I want to hope that I'm one step closer!

Hooray! My claim status changed to "Pending Decision Approval!" I also got a whole slew of emails from the VA explaining various benefits, opportunities, and services. This is good right? I want to hope that I'm one step closer!
thats good news my friend!!, hopefully mine starts moving fast too. did yours go into under review before it went into preparation for decision?

image.jpg
thats good news my friend!!, hopefully mine starts moving fast too. did yours go into under review before it went into preparation for decision?
Yes it did. Multiple claims were opened and closed in relationship to this claim on eBenefits. Each time the process stated "under review" at some point or another. The most recent time being approximately mid month December when they opened a new claim for me after retirement.
I speculate that multiple claims were opened and closed in relationship to where I was in the ides process and then when I retired. My previous completed claims state that the VA was waiting for my DD214 submission.
It changed from gathering evidence to preparation for decision on 22Dec and stayed there for a little under a month.

Have you seen this page (see current attachment)? It can be found by clicking on the "?" Right next to your current status (see the screenshot I posted previously for a visual). It explains the claims status process. It does unfortunately state that claims can go backward if more evidence is required. If you are unable to click on the "?" Keep in mind that some browsers won't allow it so try another device or browser. I was unable to do it on my PC but able to on my iPad. Hope this helps.

I'll keep you posted of any more updates.

Last edited: