Timing of first disability paycheck

tmoney614

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all, this forum has been super helpful! On Friday I signed my concurrence for my med board ratings. 90% Air Force/100% VA (most of my ratings are related to psoriatic arthritis). I'll be opting for the VA paycheck since it makes a little more money with 5 kids. My question is about when that first paycheck arrives. I'm thinking that my new D.O.S. will be the beginning of January. Would the VA start paying me in February or March? Thanks for any insight!

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Your effective date for VA comp is discharge date +1 day. Payment for VA comp doesn't begin until the 1st of the next month, which is paid the 1st of the next month. It may be to you advantage to have your discharge date 30 Jan 2021, effective date would then be 31 Jan 2021. Payment would start 1 Feb and paid on 1 Mar.

Your retired pay is different, there is a partial benefit beginning on the 1st day of retirement. You'd collect retired pay until your VA comp takes over.

tmoney614

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks for the reply. When you talk about the offset, would that also apply for medical retirement? I thought that was for concurrent receipt (over twenty years). Also, I don't believe I'll get a choice in my retirement date, because they'll just calculate based on my terminal and permissive TDY.

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If < 20 years you don't get concurrent receipt. For example if you get out 14 Jan, you'd be entitled to retired pay from 15-31 Jan. Once VA starts, that replaces retired pay if it exceeds the 75% cap per the law for disability retirements.

If retired pay is < VA comp entitlement would be zero, however...

Example of both would be a high 36 $6,000 * .75 = $4,500

VA comp $3500 (waives retired pay)
+
remaining retired pay $1,000 =$4,500 total

You might be entitled to CRSC, you must apply with your service. This can restore some or all of the waived retired pay up to the LOS cap (2.5%/yr of service) ex 10 yrs = 25% of high 36. DD FORM 2680 is the application.

ELECTION OF COMPENSATION IN LIEU OF RETIRED PAY OR WAIVER OF RETIRED PAY TO SECURE COMPENSATION FROM DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@Camp P Marine

Excellent summary of the processes and results.

Note: CRSC replaces rather than restores. CRDP restores. ;)

Again, nice easy-to-understand explanation...

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">