Timing of VA Claim

SGT Rock

Registered Member
Thanks to everyone who provides the valuable Intel on this forum.

I have a question regarding the timing of a VA claim. I recently uploaded a claim for an illness that I have been documenting for three years. The claim was rejected based upon me still having two and a half years on my current contract. Do I have to wait until 180 days before my ETS? I am a drilling Guardsman that is rated for another condition from my active duty time. Additionally, I intend to extend. Will this affect my ability to get my claim processed?

Any response is greatly appreciated.

This is a great question and one I can't add any good information on. As long as you are not on orders, I don't know why they wouldn't process your claim. Are you a DSG or a full-timer?

Thanks for the reply. I'm an m-day soldier. The condition started and flares up during annual training each year. Since you can't draw VA disability for the same days you are activated or drilling, it doesn't make sense to make reserve component soldiers wait until discharge. I've got drill this weekend and I'm hoping one of my soldiers may be able to help me out.

Did you get any help from your other soldiers at drill?

I did. I changed the dates on the application to indicate that I had already completed one term of service (my first contract with the Guard was for two years). The system then accepted my application. I'm not sure why it made a difference, but it did. In any event, as the process unfolds, I'll update the thread if it becomes an issue again.