Title 32 Technician Medical Retirement Scenarios (Please limit posts to "Technician Medical Retirements")

Jmc81

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Unless you meet the age time requirements for a normal Fers retirement it will be Fers disability retirement. As long as your medical conditions caused loss of military membership it's going to be Fers disability retirement. Your HR will go over it with you when you do paperwork with them. The he department the handles the Fers portion not military personnel. That really is an issue when the people you work with don't have the right answer. It makes things very confusing.

Wed100105

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Unless you meet the age time requirements for a normal Fers retirement it will be Fers disability retirement. As long as your medical conditions caused loss of military membership it's going to be Fers disability retirement. Your HR will go over it with you when you do paperwork with them. The he department the handles the Fers portion not military personnel. That really is an issue when the people you work with don't have the right answer. It makes things very confusing.
Is there anything on my military retirement paperwork that should show I am retiring due to the medical condition causing me to be unfit?

Yes-I read your thread replies and see you’ve had the same issue with people and organizations not communicating well with each other.

Jmc81

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yeah I went though a process and was found unfit for military not inline of duty, if it was inline of duty I would have gotten a military medical retirement. Basically if you don't meet the time requirements for some type of normal military retirement you get separated due to medical conditions not meeting retention status. You should have a paperwork stating you don't meet requirements found. On base personal office talks with you about the option on military side of things. About that time you should have a meeting set up to see HR for Fers you have a form that your supervisor, Dr statement, and one for yourself. These form have to be completed along with some other things for the process to kickoff. They also need your retirement separation orders Which can be a pain to get when the office that complete them falls behind. My unfit form was AF form 356 informal physical evaluation board. Mine was signed Aug 12 2021 but I was not informed for almost a month. By the mid November I was out. They wouldn't let me stay any longer. I could use vacation and sick leave. Middle of November I also went and seen the HR lady to give her the forms she had sent to me. It's may and I still don't have insurance and no pay so prepare for that. Hopefully some of this helps. The forms I had won't show up so you can see them.

Wed100105

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
This helps a lot, @Jmc81. Thank you. I have AF Form 356 and it states "Recommend Disposition: Unfit" and lists all the medical stuff. I have enough years in to retire from the National Guard, but I'm not 50 years old yet. Is it okay that my retirement paperwork is straight up retirement paperwork? I don't see anything on it that says it's medical retirement. My AF Form 356 includes all the medical information and says, "The IFEB finds the SM's multiple food allergies prevents him from reasonably performing the duties of his office, grade, rank, or rating; impose unreasonable requirements on the Air Force to maintain or prtect SM's health; represent a potential medical risk to the health of the SM with continued service; are subject to reoccuring exacerbations; and limt the SM from performing the full range of his AFSC duties and deploying. Thus, the IPEB finds the SM's condition to be incompatible with the rigors of military service and unfitting."

Wed100105

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Yeah I went though a process and was found unfit for military not inline of duty, if it was inline of duty I would have gotten a military medical retirement. Basically if you don't meet the time requirements for some type of normal military retirement you get separated due to medical conditions not meeting retention status. You should have a paperwork stating you don't meet requirements found. On base personal office talks with you about the option on military side of things. About that time you should have a meeting set up to see HR for Fers you have a form that your supervisor, Dr statement, and one for yourself. These form have to be completed along with some other things for the process to kickoff. They also need your retirement separation orders Which can be a pain to get when the office that complete them falls behind. My unfit form was AF form 356 informal physical evaluation board. Mine was signed Aug 12 2021 but I was not informed for almost a month. By the mid November I was out. They wouldn't let me stay any longer. I could use vacation and sick leave. Middle of November I also went and seen the HR lady to give her the forms she had sent to me. It's may and I still don't have insurance and no pay so prepare for that. Hopefully some of this helps. The forms I had won't show up so you can see them.
Can we opt for GEHA insurance through Cobra?

Jmc81

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This helps a lot, @Jmc81. Thank you. I have AF Form 356 and it states "Recommend Disposition: Unfit" and lists all the medical stuff. I have enough years in to retire from the National Guard, but I'm not 50 years old yet. Is it okay that my retirement paperwork is straight up retirement paperwork? I don't see anything on it that says it's medical retirement. My AF Form 356 includes all the medical information and says, "The IFEB finds the SM's multiple food allergies prevents him from reasonably performing the duties of his office, grade, rank, or rating; impose unreasonable requirements on the Air Force to maintain or prtect SM's health; represent a potential medical risk to the health of the SM with continued service; are subject to reoccuring exacerbations; and limt the SM from performing the full range of his AFSC duties and deploying. Thus, the IPEB finds the SM's condition to be incompatible with the rigors of military service and unfitting."
Yeah that's how it was for me to Af form 356 then later orders. The HR tried to use that form in place of my retirement orders and the army benefits center that process all that was like nope. They need your orders and AFPC was probably still behind. I had the squadron commander help me some at personal to push it though. It's good to let them know at AFPC your dual status and the orders are holding up your Fers retirement. Most people that are drill status if it takes months to get orders it's not a big deal they can't collect anything for along time. It held me up a couple weeks I could see it holding up some one much longer.

Wed100105

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Yeah that's how it was for me to Af form 356 then later orders. The HR tried to use that form in place of my retirement orders and the army benefits center that process all that was like nope. They need your orders and AFPC was probably still behind. I had the squadron commander help me some at personal to push it though. It's good to let them know at AFPC your dual status and the orders are holding up your Fers retirement. Most people that are drill status if it takes months to get orders it's not a big deal they can't collect anything for along time. It held me up a couple weeks I could see it holding up some one much longer.
Were your retirement orders were regular retirement orders?

Jmc81

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Can we opt for GEHA insurance through Cobra?
I'm not sure about that. I was told the insurance would back pay me if I save receipts and file the paperwork. An issue I had was insurance doesn't pay full price and if I pay full price? Blue Cross blue shield said they would only reimburse what they would pay. Maybe you can keep your insurance some how.

Jmc81

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Were your retirement orders were regular retirement orders?
No mine was more than 15 less than 20. I had 19 years drill time not TAFMS. It goes though like a normal retirement if you are being pushed out due to medical conditions.

Wed100105

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ok, I got good info. The 356 med unfit form will be attached to my retirement order. So the retirement order will go to HRO and therefore show unfit for duty.

I’ll meet with HR soon. Thanks to everyone who replied. I thought someone else down the road might benefit from my experience.

Jmc81

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Ok, I got good info. The 356 med unfit form will be attached to my retirement order. So the retirement order will go to HRO and therefore show unfit for duty.

I’ll meet with HR soon. Thanks to everyone who replied. I thought someone else down the road might benefit from my experience.
Hopefully it helps someone in the future. I called OPM today to see if I could get an update. They told me they can't give me a timeframe for completion. I told her I signed my paperwork back in November so I knew it was gonna take a few months but hopefully not a year she told me she had seen some take 9 months but that's the extent of the info I could get

Jesusej19

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I called OPM too, and they said the same, they can’t give any time frame. But I saw an article where they processed more applications last month. If I find it I’ll post it

Jesusej19

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

Congrats

Jesusej19

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
They talk 60 to 80 days my thinking was from what spot in the process not from when you sign papers. It says in there from final adjudication, if I'm not mistaken that's when it pretty much done. Thanks for the article I'm just bringing out the pessimist!!
I missed that, well, going to enjoy the back pay, when it gets here. If you don’t mind me asking, What was your pay grade ? I was a WG 12 step 5

Wed100105

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I’m assuming cases where public law has to be used will take twice that long. I’m guessing the first go around (when it will be denied) will take the time mentioned in the article. Then it has to go through the process again and trigger public law. (I’m new to the process, so this is just speculation…)

Wed100105

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Update-I signed the military retirement papers earlier this week. HR in Springfield (civilian side) said in IL you have the option to go LWOP or stay on in your civilian job until OPM makes the decision on the disability retirement. She said it takes about a year right now for those decisions to be made. Hopefully the rest of you will receive good news soon.

As others have experienced, the lady in HR can’t do anything until she has the retirement orders. I’ll be staying on until the decision is made. I’ll update again when I have more progress.

Jesusej19

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Update-I signed the military retirement papers earlier this week. HR in Springfield (civilian side) said in IL you have the option to go LWOP or stay on in your civilian job until OPM makes the decision on the disability retirement. She said it takes about a year right now for those decisions to be made. Hopefully the rest of you will receive good news soon.

As others have experienced, the lady in HR can’t do anything until she has the retirement orders. I’ll be staying on until the decision is made. I’ll update again when I have more progress.
That is awesome, staying in till they make their decision for NG use to be an option for us. But it changed years ago. Thank you for the update, I would update, but nothing yet lol. Good luck to you and that’s great news for you

Jmc81

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I missed that, well, going to enjoy the back pay, when it gets here. If you don’t mind me asking, What was your pay grade ? I was a WG 12 step 5
I was a WG10 step 5. Yes I will really enjoy the back pay. I should get back paid to the beginning of January. I wonder if we get Backpage when interim payments start or if we have to wait for it to be completely completed?