Title 32 Technician Medical Retirement Scenarios (Please limit posts to "Technician Medical Retirements")

justamarty

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm a dual status Title 32 technician. I have 18 years total of Guard service (4000 points total includes both M-Day and Title 10 time.) I have three active duty mobilizations. I started as a tech in 2014, buying back my time to November of 2011, so I'm going on 9 years as a tech. I've reached a point where I'm unlikely to be able to deploy again if the situation arises. As a tech, I'm concerned about my livelihood should I get out on the military side since I'd also lose my tech job. I understand that if I get discharged medically on the military side that I'll be eligible for a technician medical disability retirement (at 40% of my high three, I think). Currently at 60% VA disability. I'm hoping to get a better idea of where things go if I pull the trigger and go the MEB route, which may be in the next 12-24 months.

A few questions I have:

- As a National Guard reservist, I won't be able to access my mil retirement until 60, correct? I have qualifying periods as well, so I could start drawing a little earlier. I'd only draw my VA disability and any tech disability retirement until retirement. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

-As far as retired pay, how does it work for a reservist when it comes down to the pay amount? Do I simply get my reserved retired pay based on my points and rank, or do I potentially get my % of disability (60%, if the mil side comes to the same % as the VA) even though I'm a reservist? What's the equation for this calculation? I usually take my points divide by 360 to get my years of service and multiply by 2.5, which gives me the percent of my base pay I'll receive. By the looks of it, if I got 60% of my final base pay because that's my disability, it would be the better scenario. I understand that my disability percent may change over the years before retirement, but just want to get an idea.

-With the tech disability retirement, I can be employed without penalty as long as I don't make over 80K for the year....correct?

-I've obviously already done my comp and pen exams (2019). If I go the MEB route, will I have to go through them again?

I'd appreciate any other insight, advice. I was surprised to come across this group. Any questions I ask within my organizations always tend to get guarded or unsure responses.

I've modified this post since in retrospect, it seems you are talking about 5 U.S. Code § 8451.Disability retirement rather than a Chapter 61 retirement.

Someone with a FERS background should be able to answer your questions.

Good luck,
Ron

Last edited:
I'm a dual status Title 32 technician. I have 18 years total of Guard service (4000 points total includes both M-Day and Title 10 time.) I have three active duty mobilizations. I started as a tech in 2014, buying back my time to November of 2011, so I'm going on 9 years as a tech. I've reached a point where I'm unlikely to be able to deploy again if the situation arises. As a tech, I'm concerned about my livelihood should I get out on the military side since I'd also lose my tech job. I understand that if I get discharged medically on the military side that I'll be eligible for a technician medical disability retirement (at 40% of my high three, I think). Currently at 60% VA disability. I'm hoping to get a better idea of where things go if I pull the trigger and go the MEB route, which may be in the next 12-24 months.

A few questions I have:

- As a National Guard reservist, I won't be able to access my mil retirement until 60, correct? I have qualifying periods as well, so I could start drawing a little earlier. I'd only draw my VA disability and any tech disability retirement until retirement. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

-As far as retired pay, how does it work for a reservist when it comes down to the pay amount? Do I simply get my reserved retired pay based on my points and rank, or do I potentially get my % of disability (60%, if the mil side comes to the same % as the VA) even though I'm a reservist? What's the equation for this calculation? I usually take my points divide by 360 to get my years of service and multiply by 2.5, which gives me the percent of my base pay I'll receive. By the looks of it, if I got 60% of my final base pay because that's my disability, it would be the better scenario. I understand that my disability percent may change over the years before retirement, but just want to get an idea.

-With the tech disability retirement, I can be employed without penalty as long as I don't make over 80K for the year....correct?

-I've obviously already done my comp and pen exams (2019). If I go the MEB route, will I have to go through them again?

I'd appreciate any other insight, advice. I was surprised to come across this group. Any questions I ask within my organizations always tend to get guarded or unsure responses.

Welcome to the PEBFORUM Marty. I was a title 32 technician for a little over a year in 2009 so I can hopefully provide some insight for your questions.

- This first bullet will be a generalized statement based on your whole scenario. With 18 years of total service, absolute worst case scenario, they allow you to "retire" from your military service early, but you are forced to leave your title 32 job since it has a dual status role that you are now unable to fill. This retirement would go into affect whenever you hit 59 1/2, minus any title 10 time you have performed since the NDAA of 2008.

- As for which route before you is the most financially beneficial, a chapter 61, military disability retirement would be the best case scenario for you because it would allow you to simultaneously medically retire from your title 32 civil service position with 40% high-3.
-- While this is the best case, it is incredibility difficult to achieve. The reason being is the Guard absolutely fights tooth and nail to find any reason to deny this. I don't have it on official record, but I have heard a NGB level med person rebut back against a problem they created by saying, "I know this is a mistake, but it is going to cost the Guard a lot of money". For you to get military retired, you have to have a LOD for the unfitting condition that not allowing you to perform your military duties. This alone stops most technicians because they typically only like seeing their civilian doctor so even if they hurt them self on orders, they just go to their civilian provider. If you don't have military medical records saying you hurt yourself, or were given a diagnosis that pertains to title 10 orders, you are not going to be able to retire medically from the military.

I am happy to dive into how the pay will work, but I need to know more about your condition. Were you on orders when the condition developed?

Perfect.

Thanks Guardguy11

Ron

A few questions I have:

I went through this situation. Any buy back time under FERS does not count towards a technician retirement. The decision for a MEB is not the decision of the service member, it belongs to the state surgeon general. Usually the unfitting conditions for an MEB initiation are identified during your annual PHA/ MRE.

IF you are found unfitting to continue your military service, you can be disability retired at 60% of your high 3 tech salary for the first year and then 40% until you reach 62. Under this Public Law disability retirement you can earn up to 80% of your high 3 years wages in addition to your FERS disability income. Any income over 80% is offset.

When you go through the MEB you will have all new C&P exams.

Welcome to the PEBFORUM Marty. I was a title 32 technician for a little over a year in 2009 so I can hopefully provide some insight for your questions.

- This first bullet will be a generalized statement based on your whole scenario. With 18 years of total service, absolute worst case scenario, they allow you to "retire" from your military service early, but you are forced to leave your title 32 job since it has a dual status role that you are now unable to fill. This retirement would go into affect whenever you hit 59 1/2, minus any title 10 time you have performed since the NDAA of 2008.

- As for which route before you is the most financially beneficial, a chapter 61, military disability retirement would be the best case scenario for you because it would allow you to simultaneously medically retire from your title 32 civil service position with 40% high-3.
-- While this is the best case, it is incredibility difficult to achieve. The reason being is the Guard absolutely fights tooth and nail to find any reason to deny this. I don't have it on official record, but I have heard a NGB level med person rebut back against a problem they created by saying, "I know this is a mistake, but it is going to cost the Guard a lot of money". For you to get military retired, you have to have a LOD for the unfitting condition that not allowing you to perform your military duties. This alone stops most technicians because they typically only like seeing their civilian doctor so even if they hurt them self on orders, they just go to their civilian provider. If you don't have military medical records saying you hurt yourself, or were given a diagnosis that pertains to title 10 orders, you are not going to be able to retire medically from the military.

I am happy to dive into how the pay will work, but I need to know more about your condition. Were you on orders when the condition developed?

I have title 10 documentation for my conditions...I do have LODs for some conditions, but not all. That said, if I get disqualified it will likely be for my back, which I have an LOD for. I got 20 percent for my back, 10 percent for each wrist, pending anxiety/tbi at the VA (no LOD, but fighting for exacerbation), 10 percent for knee, and 10 percent for my right hip. I'm at 60 percent VA overall plus whatever they decide for the anxiety/tbi. Not expecting anything for the tbi/anxiety overall, but we'll see what happens. My biggest concern is where I'll end up in the interim between age 44 and 59 1/2 as far as my income goes. I'm a nurse by trade, but can't really do anything other than admin at this point due to pain. I'm hoping the guard will agree to switch me to title 5 from title 32 and have a win-win so I can continue full time employment and the organization can have ongoing support in occupational health from an experienced individual. I like my job, I just can't continue to do the mday thing.

I went through this situation. Any buy back time under FERS does not count towards a technician retirement. The decision for a MEB is not the decision of the service member, it belongs to the state surgeon general. Usually the unfitting conditions for an MEB initiation are identified during your annual PHA/ MRE.

IF you are found unfitting to continue your military service, you can be disability retired at 60% of your high 3 tech salary for the first year and then 40% until you reach 62. Under this Public Law disability retirement you can earn up to 80% of your high 3 years wages in addition to your FERS disability income. Any income over 80% is offset.

When you go through the MEB you will have all new C&P exams.

I'm in the process of buying back my title 10 time. I'll be caught up from my initial buyback in three months. Should I not buyback my other 24 months from a 2016-2018 ados title 10 tour I did? It would cost me about $1500 more. If I understand right, theres no benefit if I don't end up with a normal tech retirement from buyback? Also, what happens when I do reach 62 as a tech if I get the technician 40 percent until then. Do I then qualify for my normal tech retirement at that point? Appreciate any education or clarification.

Should I not buyback my other 24 months from a 2016-2018 ados title 10 tour I did? It would cost me about $1500 more.

Yes, most definitely buy it all back, I’ll explain why later.

If I understand right, theres no benefit if I don't end up with a normal tech retirement from buyback?

When FERS was created it was broken down into two time frames.
1- Employees hired before 1996 and
2- Employees hired after 1996

If you were hired before 96, buy back time counted towards building a retirement. BUT to meet the criteria for a minimum you had to have 25 years of federal time and MRA.

If you were hired after 96, they changed the criteria for the minimum retirement. Post 96 your buy back time counts AFTER you have reached the new minimum of 20 years and MRA.

So to answer your question on this. Yes, this is why you want to buy ALL the time you served back.

In a FERS 60%/ 40% disability retirement, when you reach 62 years of age OPM recalculates your years of service. If for instance you went out at 35 years old with 18 years of FERS time, at 62 years old OPM will remove the 40% and recalculate your FERS time like your were never disabled and continued to work until 62. Your new disability would be 45%.
Sometimes, like in my situation I will fall to 36%. I works both ways if I explained it clear enough.

If you are retained in the military, you already have 6 years under FERS, and need 14 more to reach 20 and then your MRA. You then would 23ish- 6+14+3 buy back. FERS regular retirement is 1% x years x high 3. The question would be, can you hang in there with the military? Do you have enough years left before you hit 60 years old and the military says thank you? Will you be non retained by TAG and be involuntarily separated, gray area until 60?

To sum up, not knowing which card one will be dealt is always advantageous to buy the time back

And most importantly, enrolled in mid career, late career retirement classes given annually by FERS experts. This is where you will learn the most accurate information on FERS retirements.

Hope I shed some light

If you were hired before 96, buy back time counted towards building a retirement. BUT to meet the criteria for a minimum you had to have 25 years of federal time and MRA.

If you were hired after 96, they changed the criteria for the minimum retirement. Post 96 your buy back time counts AFTER you have reached the new minimum of 20 years and MRA.

So to answer your question on this. Yes, this is why you want to buy ALL the time you served back.

In a FERS 60%/ 40% disability retirement, when you reach 62 years of age OPM recalculates your years of service. If for instance you went out at 35 years old with 18 years of FERS time, at 62 years old OPM will remove the 40% and recalculate your FERS time like your were never disabled and continued to work until 62. Your new disability would be 45%.
Sometimes, like in my situation I will fall to 36%. I works both ways if I explained it clear enough.

If you are retained in the military, you already have 6 years under FERS, and need 14 more to reach 20 and then your MRA. You then would 23ish- 6+14+3 buy back. FERS regular retirement is 1% x years x high 3. The question would be, can you hang in there with the military? Do you have enough years left before you hit 60 years old and the military says thank you? Will you be non retained by TAG and be involuntarily separated, gray area until 60?

To sum up, not knowing which card one will be dealt is always advantageous to buy the time back

And most importantly, enrolled in mid career, late career retirement classes given annually by FERS experts. This is where you will learn the most accurate information on FERS retirements.

Hope I shed some light
Ok. Just w

Hope I shed some light

OK. I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. My mil side has nothing to do with my tech side, especially regarding compensation.

On the mil side, if I get disqualified I'll just get whatever my mil retirement will be based on points (about 4100 points if I went out in the next year or so). I have 18 years, but I believe if I'm over 15 years I qualify for a retirement if I'm out medically due to service connected conditions. Won't be able to collect that until 60 (or just earlier if I use my qualified periods from deployments. I definitely have four periods of qualifying time, possibly 12 if what I'm being told regarding a stateside mobilization in support of a contingency operation for two years actually counts as qualifying as well). I'd get my VA disability in the meantime until I turn 60, then some sort of offset depending what my mil retirement vs VA benefit would be.

On the civilian side, if I'm out because I'm no longer wearing a uniform due to service connected conditions, I could get the 60/40 disability retirement and make up to 80% of my high three from a new job. That would be a little less than what I make now, but wouldn't be the end of the world. I still hope I can convince the TAG to convert my job to a Title 5 job bc then I could at least still be doing my FT employment. As far as my buyback goes, that would only effect my eventual retirement at 62, correct? My SCD is actually Nov 2011, but my actual federal tech start date was Oct 2014. So, my eventual pension would be calculated based on my actual years of federal service (2014 to let's say 2021), which is almost 7 years. Plus, I'd get credit for years thereafter until I hit 62 (in 2036), which would be 17 years. 7+17=24 years. Would my eventual pension be calculated off 23 years or include the time since 2011, which would put me over 26 years? I hope this makes sense. I'm just trying to decide when would be best to push for an MEB. My state may accommodate me as a nurse that works in the TDA Medical Detachment now, since I wouldn't likely be a first round pick for a deployment, but I don't really want to gamble with my health all that much.

One last question: Is there any benefit other than points to waiting other than accumulating another 100-200 points for retirement on the military side. I worry a little that if I decide to stick it out until after I have 20 years that I'm somehow going to lose out because the organization could tell me to just 'retire' from the mil side instead of doing an MEB, ignoring the fact that my livelihood depends on me actually wearing a uniform. I don't see my organization as trying to be difficult, but my experience tells me that the path of least resistance for the organization is often the choice that ends up being made.

with 4100 points its equivalent to 11.3 years AFS. You need 7200 for an active duty retirement.

Since you don't have a 20 year letter your chapter 61 retirement will be off set by your VA comp and you will get that right away. So if your VA comp is more then your retirement, you will only get the VA. You could possibly however use CRSC to restore some of that if you qualify.

Here is a somewhat related case I have recently been involved with on another site. Full Disclosure: I know little about FERS and buy back. In fact, I asked one of the participants in this thread to answer a few questions for me only days ago.

Remarks made to another veteran:
Hello,

Ref: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63 * November 2019

Note: FWIW, I understand you position. You feel the law (actually regulation written using the law cited below), does not apply in your case because the waiver to accept VA compensation leaves no retired pay to waive for the credit to enhance the civil service retirement. However, you evidently are receiving that credit. I don't think you have an entitlement to CRSC but I have never worked a case such as this. Contact DFAS is my recommendation.

630403. Entitled to Retired Pay

A. A member must be entitled to retired pay, notwithstanding that such retired pay may be reduced due to receipt of VA disability compensation. A reservist who has not reached the requisite age to receive retired pay (generally age 60) is not eligible to receive CRSC payments. See Chapter 1, subparagraph 010308.F, for when the eligibility age of a reservist will be reduced below 60 years of age and become eligible for retired pay.

B. A member who waives retired pay in order to credit military service for the purposes of establishing eligibility for a civil service retirement, or for any reason other than to receive disability compensation from the VA, is not eligible to receive CRSC payments. A member who combines his military time with his civil service time for the sole purpose of enhancing his civil service retirement may be eligible for CRSC if the member is still eligible to receive military retired pay. Members should consult the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) Handbook for Personnel and Payroll Offices for further information on eligibility.

Recommendation:

Contact
Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Ron

with 4100 points its equivalent to 11.3 years AFS. You need 7200 for an active duty retirement.

Since you don't have a 20 year letter your chapter 61 retirement will be off set by your VA comp and you will get that right away. So if your VA comp is more then your retirement, you will only get the VA. You could possibly however use CRSC to restore some of that if you qualify.
I'm not active duty...I'm guard with a bunch of mobilizations. I'm a FT technician. Already getting VA benefits minus whatever comes out eventually for my drills and annual training. From the other posts on this thread, I don't think I'd qualify for Chapter 61. Thanks.

OK. I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. My mil side has nothing to do with my tech side, especially regarding compensation.

Nothing other than what you already know. That you have to pay the VA compensation back when in drill status and performing annual training, I believe the VA compensation would stop completely if you were to deploy, and you would have to reapply all over.

On the mil side, if I get disqualified I'll just get whatever my mil retirement will be based on points (about 4100 points if I went out in the next year or so).

RaiderX covered what happens here.

I have 18 years, but I believe if I'm over 15 years I qualify for a retirement if I'm out medically due to service connected conditions.

If your found unfit through the MEB with at least 30% service connection you be medically retired from the guard no matter if you have 5yrs, 18yrs or 30yrs.

If I didn’t interpret this correctly, was this what your asking? I think your thinking, your locked in to a guard retirement at 15 years with medical conditions but aren’t medically retired. RaiderX covered this as well.

In order to earn a guard retirement you must have 20 good years (at 75 points or more each year, not 45 one year and 365 the next.) If I remember correctly the most a guard member can earn in Mday status is 130 points a year.

The minimum age to collect a normal retirement is 60, and you already know about reducing the time with qualifying active duty deployments. This law didn’t go into effect until 2008 though.

I'd get my VA disability in the meantime until I turn 60, then some sort of offset depending what my mil retirement vs VA benefit would be.

RonG is your go to on pay questions.

That should answer the military side. Your whole career start with how this side plays out.
Please don’t hold me accountable for errors writing this , it’s from an iPad.

On the civilian side, if I'm out because I'm no longer wearing a uniform due to service connected conditions, I could get the 60/40 disability retirement and make up to 80% of my high three from a new job.

Yes, if you have a 30% or more DOD disability retirement and
DON’T have more than 20 years under FERS and
ARE NOT older than 50 years old

You were hired after 1996, must have 20 years under FERS and be at least 50 to get a minimum retirement. Basically if you meet these requirements OPM will retire you normally, not disable.

The most important part is NOT to meet the standards for a normal minimum retirement or OPM won’t let you have a 60/40 disability because your already have reached retirement.

I could get the 60/40 disability retirement and make up to 80% of my high three from a new job. That would be a little less than what I make now, but wouldn't be the end of the world. I still hope I can convince the TAG to convert my job to a Title 5 job bc then I could at least still be doing my FT employment.

Every technician that I worked with in my state makes more after the DOD disability retirement. Have you ever heard of the 3 legged stool?

Most federal employees get in retirement
1. FERS pension
2. Social security
3. Thrift Savings Plan

Technician w/ DOD disability retirement
1. VA % Compensation (tax free)
2. DOD % disability retirement (tax free if combat related) possibly CRSC, possibly CRDP at 60 (ask RonG)
3. FERS 60/40 disability retirement
4. Social security
5. Thrift Savings Plan

As far as my buyback goes, that would only effect my eventual retirement at 62, correct? My SCD is actually Nov 2011, but my actual federal tech start date was Oct 2014. So, my eventual pension would be calculated based on my actual years of federal service (2014 to let's say 2021), which is almost 7 years. Plus, I'd get credit for years thereafter until I hit 62 (in 2036), which would be 17 years. 7+17=24 years. Would my eventual pension be calculated off 23 years or include the time since 2011, which would put me over 26 years? I hope this makes sense.

Buy back works both in 60/40 (at 62 when recalculated) and or if you retired normally at your MRA (it’s added after you reach the requirements)

Yes, 7+17=24, but you’d need a waiver to stay longer than 60 years old in the guard. When buying back time you have to buy the oldest time back first, then next oldest. If you bought all time before starting under FERS then your SCD is 2011. Buying back time while being under FERS (it sounds like you have more time in 2018) wont back up your SCD.

One last question: Is there any benefit other than points to waiting other than accumulating another 100-200 points for retirement on the military side. I worry a little that if I decide to stick it out until after I have 20 years that I'm somehow going to lose out because the organization could tell me to just 'retire' from the mil side instead of doing an MEB, ignoring the fact that my livelihood depends on me actually wearing a uniform. I don't see my organization as trying to be difficult, but my experience tells me that the path of least resistance for the organization is often the choice that ends up being made.

Yes your high 3 years, the longer you stay the higher up the pay chart you go, unless your topped out and aren’t going to get promoted

Example: E7
Years of service 20
E7 over 18 years of service makes say $3500
E7 over 20 years of service makes say $3800

And if you medical out and the DOD matches your VA 60%, (RonG)

I worry a little that if I decide to stick it out until after I have 20 years that I'm somehow going to lose out because the organization could tell me to just 'retire' from the mil side instead of doing an MEB, ignoring the fact that my livelihood depends on me actually wearing a uniform. I don't see my organization as trying to be difficult, but my experience tells me that the path of least resistance for the organization is often the choice that ends up being made.

As long as your doing everything with in your power to get promoted, not flagged, putting forth the effort. No state is going to force a service member out the door, if they do someone is not doing something right. Retention is so low right now it’s not going to happen under normal conditions. Remember this, the decision to MEB isn’t the service members. If your unfit it will happen.

Re: "
Yes your high 3 years, the longer you stay the higher up the pay chart you go, unless your topped out and aren’t going to get promoted
Example: E7
Years of service 20
E7 over 18 years of service makes say $3500
E7 over 20 years of service makes say $3800
And if you medical out and the DOD matches your VA 60%, (RonG) "

As suggested the high three is influenced by rank/paygrade (and years of service for base pay).

The high three is the total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36.

Generally, military disability retired pay is the result of:
DoD disability retirement percentage x high three = retired pay
The retired pay is reduced by the amount of the VA compensation.
CRDP does not apply unless one also qualifies for a regular (20 years active duty) retirement (7200 points and 20 good years also qualifies one for CRDP).
OR
also qualifies for a reserve retirement with 20 good years AND meets the age requirement for reserve retirements

Ron

As long as your unfitting conditions are service connected to your title 10 deployments and they get rated over 30% going through the IDES then you will qualify for a ch 61 retirement. If they get rated less than 30% then you will get medically separated with severance. Either scenario you will qualify for the 60/40 disability retirement for your technician job. And yes you will have to go through all new C&P exams going through the IDES. I just got medically retired from the ILNG last February and retired from my tech job in September with the 60/40. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions im glad to help but please listen to your HR reps and the experts because I definitely am not one and every situation is different. But as long as you're found unfit and that disability is service connected to a deployment you will qualify for the 60/40 no matter the %

As long as your unfitting conditions are service connected to your title 10 deployments and they get rated over 30% going through the IDES then you will qualify for a ch 61 retirement. If they get rated less than 30% then you will get medically separated with severance. Either scenario you will qualify for the 60/40 disability retirement for your technician job. And yes you will have to go through all new C&P exams going through the IDES. I just got medically retired from the ILNG last February and retired from my tech job in September with the 60/40. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions im glad to help but please listen to your HR reps and the experts because I definitely am not one.
Thanks. Much appreciated. Trying to gather as much clarity as possible before moving forward with anything.

Thanks. Much appreciated. Trying to gather as much clarity as possible before moving forward with anything.
I get it brother. It's very confusing and stressful and at least in IL no one seemed to have any answers to anything. If you think of any other questions just ask. This forum is full of a lot of knowledge

As long as your unfitting conditions are service connected to your title 10 deployments and they get rated over 30% going through the IDES then you will qualify for a ch 61 retirement. If they get rated less than 30% then you will get medically separated with severance. Either scenario you will qualify for the 60/40 disability retirement for your technician job. And yes you will have to go through all new C&P exams going through the IDES. I just got medically retired from the ILNG last February and retired from my tech job in September with the 60/40. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions im glad to help but please listen to your HR reps and the experts because I definitely am not one and every situation is different. But as long as you're found unfit and that disability is service connected to a deployment you will qualify for the 60/40 no matter the %
My conditions are service connected for sure, but I don't think I'll qualify for ch 61, as I was in a combat zone, but injuries weren't under hostile fire/actual combat/...I'm over 30percent, so I think I'd still qualify for 60/40. If I read the Ch 61 criteria correct, I don't think I'd qualify for that.