Title 32 Technician Medical Retirement Scenarios (Please limit posts to "Technician Medical Retirements")

Your HR has it partially right, OPM pays part (about 75%) of your Annuity each month when it starts. They call this payment an Interim monthly payment. And the withheld amount (the remainder of your Annuity) is held in escrow to make FEHB, FEGLI, SB, Long term health insurance and whatever else you elect on your disability application. I retired before Covid-19 and was nine months before I received my full 60% disability annuity, maybe a little longer to process applications in this current environment. Also you have to figure out your own federal and state tax withholding.

And with all that at your twelve month anniversary your Annuity falls to 40% of your high three and you get to figure all your taxes out again.

It’s not that bad but it definitely take planning and saving.
So it would be 75% of the 60% of your high 3?

Then i guess when the Public law retirement is finalized they back pay you the rest of the money?

OK, it's been awhile. COVID actually helped me stick it out a little longer. I'll hit my 20 years in December 2021 of Guard service (with 4200 points). I've read through all the previous thread regarding my situation, but just wanted to try to clarify things once again. I'm looking at worst case scenario (ie. the least benefit I'd recieve.) I'm currently rated 70% through the VA. Have no idea what DoD would end up rating me, but let's just say they end up rating me 20%. In that case, I'd still get a 60/40 Title 32 technician disability retirement, correct? On the military side, I wouldn't get concurrent receipt and couldn't collect my military retirement until 57-60 (I have a bunch of qualified periods from deployments).

Basically, drill is becoming problematic physically, and although I know I can pass the ACFT with minimums, I know it'll hurt me in the long run. And, if there was a deployment I definitely can't take being cramped on a plane for hours and hours or sitting on a tarmac again and again during MOB/DEMOB/... I can do my tech job, but it's not Title 5. Has anyone ever heard of HR switching a position to Title 5 as a result of an individual being disqualified as a Title 32 tech? I think I'm ready to move on at this point, but want to ensure that if I separate I'll at least have some cushion. If I'm med separated, can I buy into Tricare Reserve Select still, or Tricare Prime/Standard? That would make a world of difference, as my family currently pays $4750 for premiums through my wife's insurance....since I can't purchase Reserve Select as a a tech. Is VGLI still reasonable enough for a 45 year old to pay for 10-12 years until the kids get through college?...

OK, it's been awhile. COVID actually helped me stick it out a little longer. I'll hit my 20 years in December 2021 of Guard service (with 4200 points). I've read through all the previous thread regarding my situation, but just wanted to try to clarify things once again. I'm looking at worst case scenario (ie. the least benefit I'd recieve.) I'm currently rated 70% through the VA. Have no idea what DoD would end up rating me, but let's just say they end up rating me 20%. In that case, I'd still get a 60/40 Title 32 technician disability retirement, correct? On the military side, I wouldn't get concurrent receipt and couldn't collect my military retirement until 57-60 (I have a bunch of qualified periods from deployments).

Basically, drill is becoming problematic physically, and although I know I can pass the ACFT with minimums, I know it'll hurt me in the long run. And, if there was a deployment I definitely can't take being cramped on a plane for hours and hours or sitting on a tarmac again and again during MOB/DEMOB/... I can do my tech job, but it's not Title 5. Has anyone ever heard of HR switching a position to Title 5 as a result of an individual being disqualified as a Title 32 tech? I think I'm ready to move on at this point, but want to ensure that if I separate I'll at least have some cushion. If I'm med separated, can I buy into Tricare Reserve Select still, or Tricare Prime/Standard? That would make a world of difference, as my family currently pays $4750 for premiums through my wife's insurance....since I can't purchase Reserve Select as a a tech. Is VGLI still reasonable enough for a 45 year old to pay for 10-12 years until the kids get through college?...
With you so close to 20 its hard for me to tell you what will happen, but i can tell you my experience. I was just separated on 2 Fed and im waiting for fed tech disability to be approved. I have 13 guard years. I was medically separated with severence at 20%, if DOD gives you 30% you are medically retired and can buy into Tricare. I had around 1500 points and the severence is based off of that and pay grade, i should see roughly $55k lump sum but i will not recieve anything else from the military, ever. I have a 60% VA rating, 20% of which is for the same thing as DOD rating, so since i cant get paid by both DOD and VA for the same thing. The 20% rating (about $275) will be taken away from my VA disability pay until the $55k is repaid. Kinda sucks but whatever.
How old are you? There is an age i think where you no longer can get the 60/40 disability, but if your being involuntarily separated due to disability, and you are below that rule you should get the 60/40 either by normal disablity or by the public law. (They have you apply for normal disability first, if that doeant work you apply for public law). It doesnt matter what percentage the DOD gives you for this as long as you get involuntarily separated

I have somethings in common with you. Dual status technician,18 military years not as many points as you. I'm currently in DES but my condition was found not in line of duty but I'm over 15 year mark so I will still collect military retirement at 60. Also 70% from VA. How I understand it I will lose tricare until 60 for you younger. But I was told I can't collect VA pay and military medical retirement at the same time, with your point that may not be the case. I have blue cross blue shield and yeah it's 5200 a year for me and my family but if I'm medically retired from FERS I can keep that insurance at that cost. I've also been looking at insurance that will cover me until I'm old enough to draw TSP, there is also SSLI insurance that can be used after retirement and I just started looking at USAA. I'm looking around at insurance also. Let me know if find good life insurance.

I have somethings in common with you. Dual status technician,18 military years not as many points as you. I'm currently in DES but my condition was found not in line of duty but I'm over 15 year mark so I will still collect military retirement at 60. Also 70% from VA. How I understand it I will lose tricare until 60 for you younger. But I was told I can't collect VA pay and military medical retirement at the same time, with your point that may not be the case. I have blue cross blue shield and yeah it's 5200 a year for me and my family but if I'm medically retired from FERS I can keep that insurance at that cost. I've also been looking at insurance that will cover me until I'm old enough to draw TSP, there is also SSLI insurance that can be used after retirement and I just started looking at USAA. I'm looking around at insurance also. Let me know if find good life insurance.
Hello,

An individual with a 15-year letter (15 good years) can receive reserve retired pay as discussed in this thread; however, they will not be eligible for CRDP which restores the longevity portion of waived retired pay. In other words, you likely would end up with just your VA compensation.

Ron

Hello,

An individual with a 15-year letter (15 good years) can receive reserve retired pay as discussed in this thread; however, they will not be eligible for CRDP which restores the longevity portion of waived retired pay. In other words, you likely would end up with just your VA compensation.

Ron
I've been t
Hello,

Ron
Thanks for the info Ron I spoke with a JAG from the office of disability counsel and he informed me under 10 usc 12731b retirement I could collect VA pay and my guard retirement at 60. He told me if I medically retired on mil side I could not collect both which I had read that a few time on this forum with the exception of combat related pay. I told him I may fight this and he said I could take it to the SACAF and the would be the ones that appeal and it been taking around 5 months to get a desison back and their win rate is 7%. Pretty much took my motivation to fight this away. But I still can fight it and I may hire an attorney to look over my LOD also I'd like a straight answer from on what I get not in line of duty medical out 18 years with only 2000 points some of the people I I talk with just seem to make stuff up. I really need that info from them so I can make a good decision. Losing tricare and my military retirement would probably cause me to want to fight harder but probably not just tricare.

I've been t
Thanks for the info Ron I spoke with a JAG from the office of disability counsel and he informed me under 10 usc 12731b retirement I could collect VA pay and my guard retirement at 60. He told me if I medically retired on mil side I could not collect both which I had read that a few time on this forum with the exception of combat related pay. I told him I may fight this and he said I could take it to the SACAF and the would be the ones that appeal and it been taking around 5 months to get a desison back and their win rate is 7%. Pretty much took my motivation to fight this away. But I still can fight it and I may hire an attorney to look over my LOD also I'd like a straight answer from on what I get not in line of duty medical out 18 years with only 2000 points some of the people I I talk with just seem to make stuff up. I really need that info from them so I can make a good decision. Losing tricare and my military retirement would probably cause me to want to fight harder but probably not just tricare.
Hello @Jmc81 ,

1. If you have a 50% or more VA rating PLUS 20 good years for RC retirement and met the age requirement for RC retirement, you can receive all your VA compensation and CRDP equal to the longevity portion of retired pay. CRDP is retired pay itself. The 15 year letter discussed in this thread does not qualify one for CRDP which is the mechanism for concurrent receipt. A 15 year letter might qualify you for retirement but it will be offset by the amount of the VA compensation without the CRDP restoration.
BLUF: With a 15 year retirement that is not TERA, you will end up with only the VA comp amount in your pocket.

2. Eligibility for CRDP
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP. [In the case you describe, you would not qualify for this benefit without the 20 good years]

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. [Does not apply here]
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.) [does not pertain to your case]
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.[does not pertain to your case]
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay. [this pertains to 20 good years]
  • Reference: Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > crdp <---LINK
cc: @Guardguy11 @SFC H

Ron

Thanks. I had drill this weekend and was away from my technology:) Glad you at least made it through your 15 year mark. Still seacrhing around on the life insurance side. May do VGLI from when I get out until 55- or 60 just for piece of mine. That said, you never know where I'll end up working. Maybe my employer will have a semi-decent life insurance I can buy into.

For life insurance, I looked at USAA and AAFMAA and went with the second. Those two were very comparable and significantly cheaper than the others. I‘m not sure what the opinions are on either.

I hope I’m posting in the right place and not highjacking anyone’s thread.

I started the NDDES process yesterday. I am 44 years old with 22 years title 32 in the ANG, with 4 years ADAF service prior to that. I’ve developed significant food allergies to 4 major allergens (wheat, dairy, eggs, and soy) which has made eating and dealing with the allergic reactions a major issue. If I am deemed unfit and unable to deploy because they can’t feed me, what happens next? The Force Management lady told me that it could be 6 months for the med process and then another 6 months to get out of the technician side, but the memo I found here from 20 June says I will be forced out on the civilian side 30 days after military separation. We have saved money in case this happens, but what should I be doing now to make the process go smoothly and not leave us high and dry for insurance, etc.? We currently have GEHA insurance and SGLI. I’m married with three kids so the insurance is still really important for us.

Thanks in advance for guidance.

I hope I’m posting in the right place and not highjacking anyone’s thread.

I started the NDDES process yesterday. I am 44 years old with 22 years title 32 in the ANG, with 4 years ADAF service prior to that. I’ve developed significant food allergies to 4 major allergens (wheat, dairy, eggs, and soy) which has made eating and dealing with the allergic reactions a major issue. If I am deemed unfit and unable to deploy because they can’t feed me, what happens next? The Force Management lady told me that it could be 6 months for the med process and then another 6 months to get out of the technician side, but the memo I found here from 20 June says I will be forced out on the civilian side 30 days after military separation. We have saved money in case this happens, but what should I be doing now to make the process go smoothly and not leave us high and dry for insurance, etc.? We currently have GEHA insurance and SGLI. I’m married with three kids so the insurance is still really important for us.

Thanks in advance for guidance.
Fed tech side gets rid of you asap, like i separated feb 2 21, was done fed tech at the end of that pay period, i get burned leave. You should start getting interim payments about 6 weeks after you separate from fed tech. Then yes like 6 month later everything is finalized and you will get remainder of what you are owed. You can keep your health insurance but you will have to pay the full amount, like what the gov pays too, until everything is finalized, then you get reimbursed

You need to go have a meeting with HR

Fed tech side gets rid of you asap, like i separated feb 2 21, was done fed tech at the end of that pay period, i get burned leave. You should start getting interim payments about 6 weeks after you separate from fed tech. Then yes like 6 month later everything is finalized and you will get remainder of what you are owed. You can keep your health insurance but you will have to pay the full amount, like what the gov pays too, until everything is finalized, then you get reimbursed

Hello Ullose,
If you medically retired, why didn’t you get Tricare instead of the tech insurance? which is expensive

Will I qualify for medical retirement and then FERS since I can’t keep my technician job?

Will I qualify for medical retirement and then FERS since I can’t keep my technician job?
For medical retirement, you need 30% or higher rating, and then you can apply for disability retirement from your tech job. I’m in the process right now. My last day as a tech is 19 Jan 22. But it is a lot of paperwork to do, HR will help the first 31 days, if you don’t complete after that, I feel it will be harder to submit to OPM.

For medical retirement, you need 30% or higher rating, and then you can apply for disability retirement from your tech job. I’m in the process right now. My last day as a tech is 19 Jan 22. But it is a lot of paperwork to do, HR will help the first 31 days, if you don’t complete after that, I feel it will be harder to submit to OPM.
Do you have a permanent profile, and a P3? That should start the MEB process, you will get phone calls from different places, so I would answer the calls once you get to that point.

You will get whatever the military gives you AND whatever fed tech side gives you. I was separated at 20% so i got severence, i also have a 60% rating from the VA and i get my disability annuity on top of that

I medically separated with severance at 13 years, fed tech insurance for me is only $170 a month
Oh, ok. Congrats on the tech disability. I’m working on mine next week. Have the forms filled out just waiting for 19 Jan as that’s my last day as a tech