Title 32 Technician Medical Retirement Scenarios (Please limit posts to "Technician Medical Retirements")

Can someone provide the source or regulation stating " Military Reserve Technicians must be at least 50 years of age and serve 20 dual status years or any age and have served 25 years as a dual status technician (no military buy back) in order to receive an annuity? HRO seems to think military buy back counts for MRT's to receive DSR retirement and not allow for a Disability retirement.
I'm not sure about the military buy back this is a screenshot of the OPM site.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805-191554.png
    Screenshot_20220805-191554.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 11
Im going to be 55 in Feb, getting medically retired from Guard position. I have at least 12 years AZZ in seat as a dual status technician, I bought back 9 years of active duty time. they said I would qualify for a DSR and I cant turn in a Disability retirement even though that is what I am getting out on in the guard. my position has not vaporized, but I can not do my job because of a disability. I tried to explain to them that I am a MRT technician and that I have to do 20 years as a dual status in order to receive an immediate annuity and they are clueless.

Im going to be 55 in Feb, getting medically retired from Guard position. I have at least 12 years AZZ in seat as a dual status technician, I bought back 9 years of active duty time. they said I would qualify for a DSR and I cant turn in a Disability retirement even though that is what I am getting out on in the guard. my position has not vaporized, but I can not do my job because of a disability. I tried to explain to them that I am a MRT technician and that I have to do 20 years as a dual status in order to receive an immediate annuity and they are clueless.
Have you tried to contact the army benefits center civilian? Here is the phone number 1-877-276-9287. This is the place that puts our DR packet together, maybe they have some insight on something like this for you.

Last edited:
I will contact them....thank you

it seems that people here have more of the answers than HRO or ABC-C

it seems that people here have more of the answers than HRO or ABC-C
That does seem to be true statement. Either my congressional inquiry or contacting army benefits center helped me out. ABC called up OPM to get a update for me about then things started moving for me. Whenever I called OPM I would get an operator that didn't have the answers and would ask me to call back next month or just give it more time.

I just called ABC-C and they said that if your a Military Reserve Technician (dual Status MRT) and was hired after Feb 10,1996 the only way you can early retire is being 50 years of age and working as dual status technician for 20 years ( no military buyback counts towards 20 years) that means butt in seat working or any age and 25 years as a dual status technician ( no military buyback counts towards 25 years), this being a special provision for just Military Reserve Technician, Discontinued Service (DSR) does not apply to Military Reserve Technicians. DSR applies to those that are not in a dual status role or those who have to have military membership in their positions. So if you do not qualify to hold your military due to a medical condition, and do not qualify for a early retirement under the Title 5 U.S.C. 8414(c)(1)or(2) Early Retirement, then you would file for a disability retirement and even then if you don't qualify for that through OPM and get a denied response then you would file under the special disability provision for Military Reserve technicians called Public Law 97-253 and then your pretty much confirmed that you will receive your disability.

I just called ABC-C and they said that if your a Military Reserve Technician (dual Status MRT) and was hired after Feb 10,1996 the only way you can early retire is being 50 years of age and working as dual status technician for 20 years ( no military buyback counts towards 20 years) that means butt in seat working or any age and 25 years as a dual status technician ( no military buyback counts towards 25 years), this being a special provision for just Military Reserve Technician, Discontinued Service (DSR) does not apply to Military Reserve Technicians. DSR applies to those that are not in a dual status role or those who have to have military membership in their positions. So if you do not qualify to hold your military due to a medical condition, and do not qualify for a early retirement under the Title 5 U.S.C. 8414(c)(1)or(2) Early Retirement, then you would file for a disability retirement and even then if you don't qualify for that through OPM and get a denied response then you would file under the special disability provision for Military Reserve technicians called Public Law 97-253 and then your pretty much confirmed that you will receive your disability.
Congrats, what state are you in ? Keep us posted.

I am currently waiting for IPEB results on the Guard side, this has taken over a year now to get to this point. I am being non retained due to hearing loss and currently 100% P&T with VA. I wear hearing aids full time and still have issues. I did find an attorney for the FERS side and he is big time awesome and gets results. He stated that I dont have to do any contact with HRO or ABC-C or OPM, he would handle everything and including getting the correct doctors prognosis for the civilian side for disability retirement.

I am currently waiting for IPEB results on the Guard side, this has taken over a year now to get to this point. I am being non retained due to hearing loss and currently 100% P&T with VA. I wear hearing aids full time and still have issues. I did find an attorney for the FERS side and he is big time awesome and gets results. He stated that I dont have to do any contact with HRO or ABC-C or OPM, he would handle everything and including getting the correct doctors prognosis for the civilian side for disability retirement.
Awesome, good luck, make sure that whatever there medically retiring you from is 30% or higher. That way you qualify for Tricare and also CRSC. Now if you have 7200 points, you should be able to get CRDP and VA pay.

i only have 6000 points, tricare is the key.....its worth its weight in Gold

i only have 6000 points, tricare is the key.....its worth its weight in Gold
Ok, you would still have to be at 30% DOD or higher to get Tricare right away. But of course if you don’t, then on the tech side you can keep your medical insurance. But read old post of Jmc81 on tech insurance. I was DOD 60% medically retired, so I picked Tricare over BCBS. I had like 3800 points.

im 100% on VA for unfitting condition so as long as I stay IDES then DoD should use VA rating I hope

the BCBS insurance is expensive...like 600.00 a month...VS Tricare. are you Disability or DSR from FERS?

im 100% on VA for unfitting condition so as long as I stay IDES then DoD should use VA rating I hope
Is the 100% for that one condition ? I’m 100 too, and when I got medically retired it was for my heart condition, which the VA rated 60, so that was my DOD percent, 60.

the BCBS insurance is expensive...like 600.00 a month...VS Tricare. are you Disability or DSR from FERS?
Yes it is, that’s why I choose Tricare, I’m FERS DR. But what I’m saying for you is just make sure your disability your getting MEB for is 30% or higher. If not you would get a medical separation, and I think you would have to wait till your retirement age, assuming you have your guard 20 yr letter, to apply for Tricare.

I am 100% for hearing loss from VA and that is an unfitting condition with the Air Guard. I would like to apply for disability with FERS butthey insist that I will only get DSR. that ids why im gonna hire a lawyer since I think it is complete BS that they are gonna give me 20% verses 40% from disability.

I am 100% for hearing loss from VA and that is an unfitting condition with the Air Guard. I would like to apply for disability with FERS butthey insist that I will only get DSR. that ids why im gonna hire a lawyer since I think it is complete BS that they are gonna give me 20% verses 40% from disability.
Ok, that is crazy as they should be using your VA percentage, but depending how long you’ve had the rating, you’ll have to get another C&P exam. This is interesting, keep us posted. Thank you