Total Shoulder replacement...need advice..

USCGDave

Registered Member
I hurt my shoulder during a training exercise a few years ago, and have had 4 sugeries including total shoulder replacement, so I now have a prosthesis. My MEB package was put together and sent to the board last month. I have never seen my package, what it says, or my command endorsement. I have one more sugery on March 11th. It is a revision to my prosthesis to raise it into place and fit me with a bigger prosthesis. I was told today by my Doctor (uscg Commander) that he as talked to the MEB board and I am going going to be retired, at a high 30%. and that I should make preperations to be out of the Coast Guard by the end of April.

I haven't recieved or ever seen anything in writing at all. I have looked up my condition in the VASRD manual and it says that I should be recieving 100% for the first year. I honestly don't think my command is real familliar with this whole process, and I am not either. I definatly feel like I should retain legal counsil at this point, to make sure I understand the process. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Coastie Dave

emoody

PEB Forum Regular Member
USCGDave,
I am in the CG and if everything you say is 100% accurate they have not handle your case correctly. You have to be shown a copy of your MEB package, including command endorsement before they send it. You have to sign that package saying you understand everything before they send your MEB package out. Also, the CG Doc can not tell you what you what percentage you will recieve from the PEB and if the CG Doc is talking to anyone that may be on that board, that is against the rules. The board members are impartial that is why it's done at headquaters. Also, our PEB system is moving quicker than it use to BUT if they just sent in your paperwork there is no way you will be out of the CG by April. It take 3 months or more foryou to get your orders once you recieve your findings (if found unfit). Alot of people in the CG will try and tell you a bunch of crap but they really have no clue what is going on. You best bet was joining this site. If you don't mind me asking, where are you stationed? If we are in the same area I have some resources for you. I hope this helps!

Clair_108

PEB Forum Regular Member
USCGDave,

Sorry to hear about your injuries. You are in for a long process, but I hope all your issues get addressed at the MEB. Emoody is correct, you must be shown a copy of your MEB after it is complete. There is paperwork you must sign.

emoody,
I received my IPEB result in November, signed in December. I am currently awaiting separation orders. I too was told the time line was 3 months for orders, however, I was also told 60 days to get through the IPEB and it turned into 6 months. Have you received orders yet? I spoke with some people being placed on TDRL and they have been waiting 6 months or more for orders. I am just being separated, not medically retired. Do you know or have you heard if the process for people being placed on TDRL and people being separated with severance, is given the same timeline, or is it different? Im trying to get a good timeline, but it seems its always up in the air! Thanks and take care!

USCGDave

Registered Member
emoody,
Thank you for the fast reply. I am realizing fast that most people in the CG have no idea what the process is. This website has answered more questions I have had today than I have had answered in the past few months. I was finally shown my MEB package today, I did sign a sheet of paper a few months ago that said I was not fit for duty, there was no other paperwork with it at the time. Today I was able to read my command endorsement and see everything that goes along with my package, and offered to make a copy if I wanted one. I contacted DAV, and the VA I have a phone appointment with DAV tomorrow, and I can go see the VA with my certified medical record next week. My biggest worry is I have another major sugery in a month and was worried that I was going to be put out while still needing follow up appointments with my doctor. Even after my complete shoulder replacement I still have only about 20% use of my right arm. So hopefully this sugery is the last and I get more use out of my arm. I'll email you tomorrow, I am sure I can find you in global.

USCGDave

emoody

PEB Forum Regular Member
USCGDave,
If you still have another surgery to do, chances are they will wait until that is complete and you are done recouperating before they give you a final word. The docs you have will probably have to send in an amendment to the paperwork they already sent in. From all that I know, they will want to know how your condition is after the surgery because you could be better, stay the same or be worse. But like Clair_108 said this is going to be a LONG process. Anyone telling you it is going to zip by is crazy. Someone that is a pretty good source of information is J. Sisto. He is the ombudsman for all of us Med Board people. If you call him and let him know about your surgery he will be able to give you a better timeline than I can but I am almost 100% sure that they will not be able to separate/retire you until after you are done with surgery and you have finished the recouperation process. Let me know what you find out and please feel free to contact me on global.

Clair_108,
It is very good to hear from you. When I signed on the other day I thought about you and was wondering if you had gotten out yet. I also signed my paperwork in December. I will be placed on TDRL and they told me it should be about 3 months before I get orders. I called last week to see where my paperwork was in the process and was told it had already been reviewed by legal and was going to be going to the final approving authority by the end of that week. I am thinking (if everything goes the way they say) I should have orders by mid March. The Coast Guard is not very consistant when it comes to these timeframes so it could be 6 months but hopefully not! I don't think the timeframe depends on what their findings are. It depends on what kind of medical condition you have. So, if you have a simple medical condition your process might take less time than someone with a lot of stuff going on. Hopefully you will know something soon. Keep me posted and I'll do the same!

Clair_108

PEB Forum Regular Member
emoody,

Hey! Good to hear you are through legal. Seems like that can be a long process for some. I got my results 2 weeks after you did. I signed my findings Dec. 2nd. March 2nd is my three month mark, so I hope my package is almost done with legal. I asked about the status of my case earlier this week. I have yet to receive word back. Last I heard it was in Admin Review, that was back in Dec. But hopefully I am not far behind the progress you have made since our results came so close together. I will keep you up to date! Let me know when you have orders!

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
USCGDave,

Glad to have you here! Iit sounds like some of your fellow Coastie's can give you some input, as well.

As far as your rating, here is the criteria:

PROSTHETIC IMPLANTS
Rating
Major Minor
5051 Shoulder replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of the shoulder joint:
For 1 year following implantation of prosthesis 100 100
With chronic residuals consisting of severe, painful motion
or weakness in the affected extremity 60 50
With intermediate degrees of residual weakness, pain or
limitation of motion, rate by analogy to diagnostic codes
5200 and 5203.
Minimum rating 30 20

(The Major/Minor rating refers to your handedness....if you are right handed and have a right side prosthesis, then you get the Major rating).

A note about CG cases....among the services, in my experience, they take the longest to process after the PEB makes their decision. This is probably not the norm at all, but, for example, I have had two cases at the CG PEB that took 6 months or more to end up with a final approval after the formal hearing (and this is not taking into account time for outprocessing and final leave).

Hope your surgery goes well and that you get the outcome you want.

jackgately

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Follow up on Jason's commentary

Dave,

Jason is right regarding the lengthy time line for processing cases and the application of the rating criteria-it will be some time before your case is finalized and there is time to address all of your concerns.

In the case of three of my current Coast Guard clients, it has been six months plus since we received the results that we wanted from the formal panel and accepted those findings.

It does sound as though you have fallen through the cracks, as is the case for many Coast Guardsmen. One thing that you should realize is that no one in the field really understands the process, particularly Coast Guard medical officers. Unless they have previously served at adm-1 on the Informal or Formal Panels, they really have no idea how the process works.

Your best bet is to self-educate through reading the COMDTINST, visiting the adm-1 web site, maintaining close contact with the ombudsman Jason Sisto and staying in touch with the members of this forum.

v/r

Jack Gately

Clair_108

PEB Forum Regular Member
I just wanted to clarify a comment I made earlier. I had spoken with other members who were being placed on TDRL that have been waiting 6 months plus for their orders after accepting the findings. However, these members all went before a formal board. I accepted the informal board's findings and was given a time line of three months before I received orders. After calling to find out where my package is in legal, that seems to be holding true. From what I understand of this process, getting a date for the formal doesn't take long, but the legal review is a longer process for members going through a formal board. I do not know why this is, but that seems to be the way it goes. I hope it goes well for you USCGDave.

seminole72

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I was med boarded out of the USCG after 10 years of service in 2003. It took the medical officer in E-City 3 or 4 months just to write up the med board then it took another 6 months to get my results. After I accepted the results it took 2.5 months to be discharged. I have since applied to the PDBR for review of mine. It's been over a year with them. I think the USCG is suppose to use the VASRD now on med boards and you sound like a strong candidate for the PDRL. Good luck!

I've had more success with the VA in terms of quickness and accuracy than the USCG and PDBR. It took the VA less than 4 months to grant me 70% disability and now I am at 80%.

Semper P!

Clair_108

PEB Forum Regular Member
Received my orders today. So 3 months after I signed the findings. Hope this helps for a time line.

USCGDave

Registered Member
I just recieved my informal findings. I am going to be placed on the TRDL at 100%. I am going to sign them tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice I have recieved on here.

Dave

MST2

PEB Forum Regular Member
I hurt my shoulder during a training exercise a few years ago, and have had 4 sugeries including total shoulder replacement, so I now have a prosthesis. My MEB package was put together and sent to the board last month. I have never seen my package, what it says, or my command endorsement. I have one more sugery on March 11th. It is a revision to my prosthesis to raise it into place and fit me with a bigger prosthesis. I was told today by my Doctor (uscg Commander) that he as talked to the MEB board and I am going going to be retired, at a high 30%. and that I should make preperations to be out of the Coast Guard by the end of April.

I haven't recieved or ever seen anything in writing at all. I have looked up my condition in the VASRD manual and it says that I should be recieving 100% for the first year. I honestly don't think my command is real familliar with this whole process, and I am not either. I definatly feel like I should retain legal counsil at this point, to make sure I understand the process. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Coastie Dave
Dave , read the medical manual and also look up everything about chapt.61 retirement, and ask for a legal rep from d.c and also look up on the web for their web sites that deal with it , most of all be on top or they will do what they want, ask for a formal hearing and that will slow down the process tremendously,good luck and godspeed

mysticasphalt

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
This thread refers to a total shoulder replacement (prosthetic implant) I have a question regarding a partial shoulder replacement. Does the level of disability compare to that of a full shoulder replacement? Please advise!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">