Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Take them all

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters

Schnoodle

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good morning everyone, silly questions. So I signed my DA199 on 01MAY and had ratings of DOD 40% and VA 90% :) so medically retiring. I currently have 52 leave days and am stationed in Hawaii. My question is do I take all 52 leave day or do I just sell them back? Do you get COLA, BAH for Hawaii ETC while on terminal leave? Selling it back would net around 5k which would be plenty to help my self and my family move.

kevo1173

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If I were you I would wait until you actually get your orders just because you might make more money while still on leave. To my understanding even though you are on terminal leave, if you are married you still receive bah and whatnot. So you might make more money being on leave than just selling them. Don't quote me on it but Good Luck!

mrando69

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you sell leave, you only get base pay and nothing else. If you are on terminal leave, you will be getting all pay and allowances until the last day. Also, they should be paying to move you.

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Keep in mind being OCONUS you should rate 30 days PTDY in addition to annual leave for terminal. Given the fact you'll still have to schedule DMO/HHG, check out, ship POV, pack out, plane tickets from SATO, (use duty days for). You could very well not be able to use all your days for terminal.

With the PTDY and fact you'll probably only really be able to take 30 PTAD and 30 terminal, allowing the other 30 days for the aforementioned. Assuming ETS will be within 90 days. I'd check to see if you can use PTDY in conjunction with terminal leave.

It would be nice to get out of your housing and collect Hawaii BAH while on terminal, but it may not be as quick as expected.

The day I left Hawaii the COLA stopped. The BAH will continue until ETS.

So, the longer you're on the island the more COLA you'll collect...$600-700 per month vs. $0 once back to CONUS. You should factor that into you decision as well.

Staying on the island and selling leave would be the most $ paid to you, but the housing costs would be the largest expense during that time. Basic Pay, BAH, BAS, COLA + (Base pay/30) * 52 or 59.5 accounting for the 7.5 days you'll earn.

Schnoodle

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Keep in mind being OCONUS you should rate 30 days PTDY in addition to annual leave for terminal. Given the fact you'll still have to schedule DMO/HHG, check out, ship POV, pack out, plane tickets from SATO, (use duty days for). You could very well not be able to use all your days for terminal.

With the PTDY and fact you'll probably only really be able to take 30 PTAD and 30 terminal, allowing the other 30 days for the aforementioned. Assuming ETS will be within 90 days. I'd check to see if you can use PTDY in conjunction with terminal leave.

It would be nice to get out of your housing and collect Hawaii BAH while on terminal, but it may not be as quick as expected.

The day I left Hawaii the COLA stopped. The BAH will continue until ETS.

So, the longer you're on the island the more COLA you'll collect...$600-700 per month vs. $0 once back to CONUS. You should factor that into you decision as well.

Staying on the island and selling leave would be the most $ paid to you, but the housing costs would be the largest expense during that time. Basic Pay, BAH, BAS, COLA + (Base pay/30) * 52 or 59.5 accounting for the 7.5 days you'll earn.
Thank you so much for the info, big decision ahead, I doubt they will let me take a total of 82 days terminal leave (regular and PTDY). But the extra BAH maybe nice.

jahlon

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Use every single day you can, and only sell back what they won't let you take.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You get allowances if you use your leave. You get only base pay is you sell your leave. Do the math and do what is best for you.

sparky_wulf

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
A question on topic: When do you get paid for the leave you sell? Is that part of your final settlement with the Army after taking terminal leave or is it sold back when you are clearing the installation?

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
A question on topic: When do you get paid for the leave you sell? Is that part of your final settlement with the Army after taking terminal leave or is it sold back when you are clearing the installation?
I got it the next military pay day after my EAS. EAS was 29 Nov, got paid for leave & clothing allowance on 15 Dec. An LES will populate in mypay showing what you've been paid, taxes withheld etc.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">