Tricare Prime If Medical Retired

syracusesoldier

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was Active for a total of almost 8 years with a few deployments. I have been in the Guard since and all totaled at 16 years. I was recently PDRL Through PEB at 50% and it’s considered on my orders placed on the “The Retired Reserve”. But my question is, would I still be eligible for Tricare Prime? Tricare system isn’t considering it, as they considered me reserves not active and I would be only eligible for Tricare reserve select . I haven’t really dug into it much yet just wondering if others in this situation had same problem? Guard/Reserves medically retired over 30% using Tricare Prime or USFHP.....thanks

Just got done with this, you will be eligible for Prime or Select depending on if there is a provider in the area. You will have to wait 24 hours after you submit your orders to DEERS to re enroll.

I have to ask this question. There is all types of questions and answers here, but I don't see a definitive answer that says whether or not a Guard or Reserve Soldier will get Prime or Select when they are medically retired. I see it's certain where active soldiers are eligible. My personal situation is that I am 16 years active with the remainder in the Guard for a total of 21 years, 8 months. When I attended my retirement briefing I was told that I would have to pay the Tricare for Retired Reserves fee which is phenomenal!!! I've been holding off on renewing my Tricare because to be honest, I just didn't have over a 1,000.00 to start it. So I finally save up the money and call to start my Tricare. Oddly enough, the rep says you aren't eligible. When did you retire. I tell her June 13th of this year. I said I was medically retired. She immediately says ohhhhhhh. Just a second and let me check something. She comes back on the line and says you are eligible for Prime or Select. Not the Tricare Retired Reserve. So obviously, I sign up for the Select because I like being able to manage my care more effectively and I have a personal physician. So, I contact my unit and let them know that they need to include this information in the retirement briefings for medical retirees being eligible for the Prime or Select. They proceed to tell me I'm wrong and that if I'm getting either Prime or Select I'm wrong. What the hell are you supposed to do here? With all that said. "Are we(Guard or Reserve) or are we not eligible for Prime or Select when we are medically retired?" Anyone that can give me a definitive answer, I thank you immensely. I don't want to go back to my unit and tell them no, they are wrong unless I know for sure. I think they are doing Soldiers a great injustice by not making this known, if that is indeed the case.

It took a little hassle mainly with DEERS, but after they put the correct information in as a PDRL chapter 61 medically retired Soldier I was all set. You get a BLUE id card, and you are eligible for Tricare just like any other active duty Soldier when they become medically retired since you went through the MEB/PEB process. You’re entitled to the same benefits so it doesn’t matter if you were in the reserves or Guard at the time of going through MEB/PEB. I ask the same questions and everyone gave me different answers, state RSOs had no clue. I did 15 years (7 active) and finished with the Guard and PDRL 50% DOD, I now have Tricare Prime....much cheaper for family.

It took a little hassle mainly with DEERS, but after they put the correct information in as a PDRL chapter 61 medically retired Soldier I was all set. You get a BLUE id card, and you are eligible for Tricare just like any other active duty Soldier when they become medically retired since you went through the MEB/PEB process. You’re entitled to the same benefits so it doesn’t matter if you were in the reserves or Guard at the time of going through MEB/PEB. I ask the same questions and everyone gave me different answers, state RSOs had no clue. I did 15 years (7 active) and finished with the Guard and PDRL 50% DOD, I now have Tricare Prime....much cheaper for family.

Thank you Syracuse. I've looked high and low for this information and am unable to find it where I can provide it to the folks that do the retiree briefings. I was so thrilled to find out I didn't have to pay a fortune to keep Tricare going. I just didn't know up front and didn't keep it going because I thought I was going to have to spend a ton of money. I appreciate your input.

Your milconnect account should have all your coverage information and eligibility on there what does it say? https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/

Thanks for responding. milConnect has the correct info. The point was I did NOT know I was eligible. At my retirement briefing, I was told that I was only eligible for Tricare Retired Reserve coverage. Had I known, I would have certainly called and kept my Tricare in force. Even when you go to the Tricare site, it does not elaborate on whether or not you are an Active Duty, Guard or Reserve Soldier and what coverage you/re eligible for if you're medically retired. I wanted something I could print and show them in black and white so that they would stop short changing medical retirees in the future. I appreciate your input though. All responses are welcome.

You should contact your Sate HR Office if your unit does not have the correct information. I work in HR and our State offers AGR and Technician pre-retirement classes. We just held one 26-27 SEPT 2018 and used the Ft Knox VA out reach. The VA form Ft Know sent out a representative that gave a 4 hour presentation that covered most every aspect of eBenefits and VA services ( which covered the medical retirement criteria). In the past we would get a VA representative from the VA regional office in Indianapolis, yet depending on who was available the quality and content would vary. We host 5 to 7 pre-retirement classes per training year so I have observed many in the past 6 years. This briefing was well done and very informative. Again, contact your State HR Office and see what they have to offer. I am in HR, yet I am not your HR and each State varies in what is offered. Glad you are trying to look out for others as they transition from service to retirement. Caveat is there are minimum requirements that most services (ARNG and ANG) mandate TAPS (Transition Assistance Program Services).

I was Active for a total of almost 8 years with a few deployments. I have been in the Guard since and all totaled at 16 years. I was recently PDRL Through PEB at 50% and it’s considered on my orders placed on the “The Retired Reserve”. But my question is, would I still be eligible for Tricare Prime? Tricare system isn’t considering it, as they considered me reserves not active and I would be only eligible for Tricare reserve select . I haven’t really dug into it much yet just wondering if others in this situation had same problem? Guard/Reserves medically retired over 30% using Tricare Prime or USFHP.....thanks

I did a quick search on the Tricare site and this link shows the information for medical retirement.
https://www.tricare.mil/LifeEvents/Retiring/MedicalRetirement

You should contact your Sate HR Office if your unit does not have the correct information. I work in HR and our State offers AGR and Technician pre-retirement classes. We just held one 26-27 SEPT 2018 and used the Ft Knox VA out reach. The VA form Ft Know sent out a representative that gave a 4 hour presentation that covered most every aspect of eBenefits and VA services ( which covered the medical retirement criteria). In the past we would get a VA representative from the VA regional office in Indianapolis, yet depending on who was available the quality and content would vary. We host 5 to 7 pre-retirement classes per training year so I have observed many in the past 6 years. This briefing was well done and very informative. Again, contact your State HR Office and see what they have to offer. I am in HR, yet I am not your HR and each State varies in what is offered. Glad you are trying to look out for others as they transition from service to retirement. Caveat is there are minimum requirements that most services (ARNG and ANG) mandate TAPS (Transition Assistance Program Services).

Thanks for your prompt response. TRICARE comes to our retirement briefings, but the medical retirement portion wasn't covered as a separate entity which led me and I am sure others to believe that we were only eligible for Retired Reserve. I've informed the state RSO. They have promised to ensure that the correct TRICARE information is disseminated from this point on. Other than the medical retirement for TRICARE Prime or Select eligibility not being discussed, the briefing was pretty informational. I just know that if I sat through 2 retirement briefings and I still didn't know, that there are plenty of others that need this information. Thank you again for your response. It is much appreciated.