RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
[Most of the dialogue below occurred in message format.]

From Trini:

Anyone who retires with a DOD percentage greater than the number of years served gets what? Example TDRL of 70% and did 20 yrs, you get get 50% or 70% of your retirement? Everyone is telling me you get 50 not 70... DFAS website states:

Permanent Disability Retired List
If your disability is found to be permanent and is rated at 30 percent or greater, or you have 20 or more years of service, you will be placed on the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL).

Your retired pay will be computed using one of two methods.

•Your disability percentage, referred to as Method A.

•Your years of active service, referred to as Method B.

I'm a bit confused. Someone plz clarify.

To Trini,

You receive the highest.

In your case 70%.

If your 20 years are active duty, you will receive CRDP if your VA rating is 50% or more.

Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation.

If you are eligible for CRDP:

The waived/reduced retired pay mentioned above will be restored via CRDP, not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay which is determined by
(Your active duty years or active duty equivalent x 2.5%) x Average high three base pay

Ron

From Trini:

Ron,
Thanks for the reply but im still confused. I got a proposed VA rating of 100% and DOD of 0. I got a FPEB next week to argue my DOD percentage, as i believe it should be at 70%. My FPEB attorney told me it will be 50 no matter what the DOD is since I'm at 20yrs. You also stated in your previous post that " The waived/reduced retired pay mentioned above will be restored via CRDP, not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay" are you talking bout just the difference? I'm still proceeding with the FPEB and hopefully the attorney is wrong....all depending on if i get 70% DOD. I will post an email from DFAS that my attorney get shortly.

To Trini:

If your DoD rating for disability retirement pay is zero and you have 20 years active duty, then you receive 50% based on the dollar amount of your longevity portion of retirement pay which would be all your retired pay since below 30% for DOD disability is NOT a disability retirement. 20 years active duty = regular retirement.

Your CRDP will allow you to receive all your retired pay and VA compensation in this scenario if your VA rating is 50% or more.

Ron

To Trini:

Some background concerning CRDP and CRSC

FROM DFAS:
Understanding the VA Waiver and Retired Pay/CRDP/CRSC Adjustments

Many military retirees who are eligible for DoD retired pay are also eligible for VA disability pay. The laws and regulations that apply when a retiree is eligible for both types of pay are complex and can be confusing.
The law requires that a military retiree waive a portion of their gross DoD retired pay, dollar for dollar, by the amount of their Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation pay; this is known as the VA waiver (or VA offset).
Some retirees who receive VA disability compensation may also receive CRDP or CRSC payments that make up for part or all of the DoD retired pay that they waive to receive VA disability pay.

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) and Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)

There are two programs that were created by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to recover some or all of the retired pay that retirees waive for VA disability pay.

The first program, Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP), is a monthly payment to restore retired pay for those with service-connected disabilities who waive retired pay for VA disability pay. You do not need to apply for CRDP. When DFAS is notified of your VA disability compensation pay, if you are eligible for CRDP, we will process and pay your CRDP on the regular monthly pay schedule. For information about CRDP and eligibility, please see this website page:
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html
Note: CRDP for the minority of disability retirees eligible for the payment is limited to the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay.

The second program, Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC), is a special entitlement for combat-related disabilities. You must apply to your Branch of Service to receive CRSC pay. For information about CRSC and eligibility, please see this website page:
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html
You may qualify for both types of payments, but you can only receive either CRDP or CRSC, not both. To compare the two types of payments, please see this website page:
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/comparison.html
Note: CRSC can never be more than the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay and is also limited by the amount of the VA offset, AND the CRSC percentage approved by the service concerned.

Ron

To Trini:

You asked, “The waived/reduced retired pay mentioned above will be restored via CRDP, not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retired pay" are you talking bout just the difference?”

This generally applies to CH 61 disability retirees who also qualify for another type retirement, such as regular, 20 yrs AD.
The retirement pay for a CH 61 retiree such as described in the preceding sentence is composed of both disability and longevity retirement pay. Only the longevity portion of the waived retired pay will be restored by CRDP.

You might have questions about the waiver.

Using randomly selected amounts, a regular retiree prior to the advent of CRDP would experience the following:
Retired pay: 2500
VA compensation: 3000
Retired pay reduced by VA comp amount = zero retired pay
Amount received each month: 3000

After CRDP law:
Retired pay: 2500
VA compensation: 3000
Retired pay reduced by VA comp amount = zero retired pay
CRDP restores: 2500 that was waived
Amount received each month: 5500

In disability retirements, the amount of CRDP is limited to the disability portion of retirement pay.
Unfortunately, most disability retirees are not eligible for CRDP.

Ron