Trying to get off tdrl

James86

Registered Member
Hello,

I'm currently on tdrl with the Navy since 2013. I was diagnosed with bipolar 1. While I was in I had two hospitalizations. Since getting out I've been able to get good jobs but at my last job I had to go back impatient twice. The whole time I've been on tdrl the thought never really occurred to me that I could re enter the Navy. I have never received a letter informing me of when or where my evaluations were to occur. Recently with the prospect of rejoining the Navy and working through issues with my theripst my VA disability diagnosis was changed to mood disorder NOS. I am also currently not taking any medication and for once in the past 4 years I have a very positive healthy outlook on life quote from my theripst. I'm really worried that when I do go for evaluation that everything that happened since being on tdrl will be used against me and all the progress I've made such as identifying the source of my depression won't be considered. I'm not going to lie I had some really really low times while being on tdrl and was really honest with my providers. Both my current providers feel I'm doing great but I feel like it's just not going to be enough and I'm going to put pdrl which isn't what I want. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I'm currently on tdrl with the Navy since 2013. I was diagnosed with bipolar 1. While I was in I had two hospitalizations. Since getting out I've been able to get good jobs but at my last job I had to go back impatient twice. The whole time I've been on tdrl the thought never really occurred to me that I could re enter the Navy. I have never received a letter informing me of when or where my evaluations were to occur. Recently with the prospect of rejoining the Navy and working through issues with my theripst my VA disability diagnosis was changed to mood disorder NOS. I am also currently not taking any medication and for once in the past 4 years I have a very positive healthy outlook on life quote from my theripst. I'm really worried that when I do go for evaluation that everything that happened since being on tdrl will be used against me and all the progress I've made such as identifying the source of my depression won't be considered. I'm not going to lie I had some really really low times while being on tdrl and was really honest with my providers. Both my current providers feel I'm doing great but I feel like it's just not going to be enough and I'm going to put pdrl which isn't what I want. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In retrospect, upon placement onto the DoD military TDRL, you may remain on the TDRL for up to five years, providing your condition does not change during that time. If at any time you are found fit for duty, you may be removed from the TDRL and returned to active duty. If your disability stabilizes and is rated at 30 percent or greater, you will be transferred to the PDRL. If your disability stabilizes and is rated at less than 30 percent and you do not have 20 years of service, you will be discharged from the DoD military TDRL with severance pay.

By law, a final determination must occur before the fifth anniversary of placement on the TDRL. However, you may be removed from TDRL at an earlier date whenever a periodic examination discloses that your medical condition has stabilized for rating purposes. Hence, the law also directs the termination of military retired pay if a final determination is not made at the end of five years.

Moreover, a physical examination is required at least once every 18 months; those who fail to report for their physical examinations will be removed from the DoD military TDRL with their retired pay suspended until their physical examination has been completed.

To that extent, I would highly suggest that you contact the Navy's Physical Disability Agency (PDA) for situational awareness to ensure that your TDRL case hasn't been misfiled at this particular point in time. Based upon your feedback, you have already missed your initial DoD military TDRL re-evaluation and maybe fast approaching to your second missed TDRL re-evaluation at this specific point in time.

With that all said, if the current medical evidence and/or medical documentation shows that your TDRL medical condition allows for a "fit for duty" determination by the Navy's PDA LDES PEB, then hopefully you will receive an appropriate final adjudication. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Something that should be considered with many illnesses is that the stability of civilian life is usually far greater than military. While you are doing better, the question is why? My guess is that many of the things that are contributing to being better would not be there is your were AD again. Best wishes. Mike

Im in the same boat. I was put on TDRL back in April, with a disability rating of 70% for PTSD, honorable discharge. Im trying to figure out information about how to get back in, as I so far know nothing about my situation. I want to go back, and need to. I dont have a choice. The VA also gave me paperwork to say that my condition stabilized, but the TDRL office said I wont be able to expedite a appointment for oh so many months. Im lost on this whole process so far.