Ulcerative Colitis

mel00belle7

Registered Member
I was diagnosed with Crohn's a year ago, in October. I am an officer with just 2 years in, but I have gone through 2 LIMDUs and my PEB is in Washington as we speak. It was sent Aug 3 and I will hopefully hear the results soon. I have received two letters from the VA saying my memorandum rating is less than 20% therefore I do not qualify for vocational rehab. I'm wondering what the chances are that the actual PEB rating is higher?

For those of you who have just started this process I would advise that you be very involved in the writing of your NARSUM to get the highest rating possible. I was not involved at all, because I had no idea how this process works but after talking to a woman from the VA who read my NARSUM she said that my doctor seems to downplay my condition a little which may give me a lower rating than 30% when I may actually deserve the 30%. Hopefully I will know within the next couple of weeks what I actually got. The process does take a while, although the DES process has gone by pretty quickly for me. Make sure you go to the D-TAP class and VAAP (veterans affairs assistance program) if available because they were extremely helpful when trying to understand the process and what I may be entitled to.

Allty

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Just a little update. My package to the IPEB was sent from SanDiego to DC on the 26th of January. The PEBLO is saying that the wait time is 3-4 months. So I'm looking at another 1-2 months before i hear back. Hopefully I'll hit the 30% mark.

Salty dog

PEB Forum Regular Member
Allty,

curious to hear what you end up with. i was diagnosed in July 09 while on sea duty and they said i was good to go. PCSed and screened again for sea duty, no problem and headed to San Diego. made an appointment to see a GI doc so i could get more meds (have been taking min 12 pills a day since diagnosis) and he said i had to go to a PEB. since then they have removed me from the ship as i go through the process. i had my initial VA interview today and should have my appt for my VA physical next week. I have been in for 16 yrs at this point and do not want to be pushed out at this point but i have heard a hundred different opinions on what others think the PEB might do. i have heard i could get recommended for separation or perm limdu (to allow me to roll to shore duty to retire at 20 yrs) and many other things. my concern is if they tell me to walk after 16+ yrs of service then they better give me more than 10% . please keep me posted. its a small world shipmate....denver was my first duty station and I am a CTTCS....im sure we know a lot of the same people. again, keep me posted and good luck!

Allty

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Salty Dog

I had a long fight and was almost screwed by the Navy's fit but unsuitable program but after an appeal I was found unfit and given permanent retirement at 30%. They were going to kick me out either way whether admin or medical so im glad I got the better of the two. Let me know if you need any help on how to get the 30% because it does need to be documented very well in both you medical records and by the VA doc you will see. Good luck Senior

Salty dog

PEB Forum Regular Member
Allty,

I would be happy with a fit but unsuitable at this point but I am glad to hear you are happy with what you got. i dont think i would get rated at 30% since my UC has been "under control" for a while. When initially diagnosed I was a wreck but since initial treatment (asacol, prednisone etc) i have been pretty good. or i should say i havent complained too much as i want to stay in so it seems like they would only give me 10% for the UC. I have my VA physicals over the next 3 weeks and then my paper work should be mailed off hopefully by the end of August. how long did it take you to get your PEB decision?

Thanks for the info and Ill will definately hit you up again as I figure out what is going on. Thanks.

JulieK77

Registered Member
New here, just looking for support and info. I am confused and just generally mad about the whole process and findings.

A little backstory:
My husband was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in March of 2008. He was very sick. Looking back he has always (since I have known him) had loose stool or diarrhea and having at least 6-8 bowel movements a day. He got suddenly sick at the beginning of 2008 with more bloody diarrhea, abdominal pain, weight loss and vomiting and he was seen in the ER and referred to the GI clinic here at Balboa. He had a colonoscopy in early March 2008 in which they immidiatly diagnosed the Crohn's disease. A couple days later after starting meds, he was called back by the doctors and told to come to the hospital immidiatly because he needed to be hospitalized due to an abcess on his colon that they said needed to be drained. They also said that he had a few fistulas and severe anemia. He was admitted to the hospital where he say for a while until they decided that he was so sick that he needed to be on complete bowel rest. They inserted a picc line in which he was "fed" for the next 3 months. He was unable to eat or drink anything and after he was released from the hospital he was on IV antibiotics 2 times a day (administered by myself). After 3 months and losing nearly 40 lbs. (he is 5'10 and normally weighed about 165), they decided he was healthy enough to perform a partial right hemicolectomy. He went in for surgery in mid June. It was supposed to be laprascopic but the surgeons ended up opening him up because they needed to remove 31 centimeters of colon that had swelling the size of softballs in 2 areas. He stayed in the hospital for about another week and was released. He was able to start eating but was still in a lot of pain. He felt great after a while, was having closer to normal bowel movements and the post op colonoscopy looked like there was no disease at all.

He has had some bit of relapse since then. He is back to 6-8 loose (and diarrhea) BM's a day, some abdominal pain, and lots of gas and bloating. He has also had severe acid reflux since the surgery. They repeated another colonoscopy in January which looked "okay", there were new areas of swelling but nothing that they needed to be really worried about. They started him on a new med (Enticourt) to go with the Pentasa, Imuran, and prilosec. He now takes at least 21 pills a day and still has the same bowel habits and pain. My husband had his VA interviews and exams in January of this year and we just heard back last week with his findings. A permanant medical retirement at 40% (30% for the Crohn's and 10% for a shoulder injury). We are upset for many reasons. I have read the guidelines on where the percentages are calculated and why and it doesn't make sense to me. They told us that it is the 30% because of his condition now and to be at a higher percentage, he would have to be emaciated and sick and having other symptoms. When we told them he has obviously been there they told us that it is based on his condition now. His condition now isn't the greatest, he would say fair. They told us that they have to get you to a point where you have been treated for your ilness and to a point where you can go up to a medical board. It seems to me that then no one would be rated any higher. They also didn't include his scar from the surgery (which in itself has been confusing on how they rate them). They basically lumped everything in with the crohn's including the anemia, scar and acid reflux. There are also other medical conditions that they have said are not service related. The main one is male infertility. We have had 2 children while he was in the Marines and now he has been diagnosed with male infertility while still in the marines. Why would that not be service related? The people we have been talking to have not really been helpful, just dismissive. The JAG just seemed to want to shoo us out and not really answer any questions. We have already see the DAV and would like to appeal the findings but they are telling us that we need to provide new medical evidence. I don't get that because it is all in his original medical records. I don't know if we are just "making a mountain out of a mole hill" or if this is actually wrong on their part.

We are at a loss now. He has been in for over 10 years. Sorry to have rambled so long, I am just wondering if anyone has any insight or info that might be helpful. Thanks in advance.

carnelli53

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
JulieK77,

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear of your husband's conditions.

You mentioned that he had his VA interviews and received 40% retirement earlier this year, was he in the DoD/VA Pilot Program? Does he have a VA rating yet? The PEB rating and VA rating are two different (and unrelated) ratings, I'm assuming the PEB gave him 40%.

JulieK77

Registered Member
Yes, he was part of the pilot program, his DOD rating was 30% just for the Crohn's (since they only rate on the "disabling" condition). His VA rating was 40% (30% for the Crohn's and 10% for a shoulder injury). He just signed the papers today to accept the findings and we are appealing with the VA for the higher rating, but mainly for the conditions they didn't include at all or said were "not service related." He has made appts with his GI to get some sort of a letter from them regarding the anemia in that he wasn't anemic before enlisting and it was due to his Crohn's. It just all seems to go in circles, "bring us new medical evidence blah blah blah." The information is in his medical records in the first place. We are now pulling out these specific pages and I suppose that is what we will submit.

isaiahherrera

Registered Member
well i was just wondering how much my va claim might be. well i was diagnosed with UC 3 months ago. i was about to deploy when they diagnosed me with it. my whole colon was inflamed i was having bowl movement of just straight blood for like a month i like lost like 10 pounds in a week. i am currently taken asacol 6 pills a day 2 a day and prednisone with 2 pills a day and i just stopped taken my enema. and the pain hasent stopped i thought everyone had stomach pain ya know but i was just wondering what the claim migh be.

hughisboy

Registered Member
I was just recently diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis im only 21 years old. and i am stationed in korea right now, and i have only been in the army about 8 months, will i be discharged for having this? i am fairly new to the military and i have no idea what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">