Unfit findings for Migraines, ratings in.

TheNemos

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Husband received his ratings.

DoD 50% for migraines VA 90% will be put on TDRL.

Mixed feelings because we are still trying to understand TDRL but researching more on TDRL in the mean time.

Here is a breakdown of his conditions.
Dod:
50% for Migraines

VA:
50% for Migraines
50% for OSA
30% Anxiety also claimed as sleep wake condition
10% Right Knee Patello Femoral Syndrome
10% Tinnitus
0% Cervicalgia neck pain
0% Degenerative Join Disease and Lumbago or Back Pain
0% Right Hip Strain
0% LEft Hip Strain
0% Pinguecula
0% Bilateral Inguinal Hernial, s/p surgical repair with residual inguinal pain.
0% Moles aka Hypopigmentation-Skin Condition
0% Residual Scar Right Cheek
0% Scar, S/P umbilical Hernia Repair
0% Astgimatism
0% Hearing Loss
0% Acute Pharyngitis
0% Intercostal Muscle Spasms also claimed as chest pain
0% Acute Gastroenteritis
0% Nausea

lol your good. Sometimes I type in my sleep so it could have been me and I not even know it :)

Thanks for posting. I'm glad he got rated the way he should have. This definitely gives me hope for my circumstance, as it may be similar (Sleep Apnea and Migraines).

Are migraines your potential unfit condition?

I wish you the best of luck :)

Yes, however, medical refuses to initiate a MEB/PEB. I was just recently put on LIMDU after I drafted an Admiral's Mast package to get my 3-star involved. Unfortunately, my EAOS is in August and I won't have the opportunity to reenlist if they do not initiate a MEB/PEB.

What are their reasons for not initiating an MEB? In our situation my husband failed 5 PT tests so he was going through a Separations Board. It was during this time that the defense found that my husband should not have been testing and that he wasn't on the correct profile. After medical examination of his records it was deemed he shouldn't have tested on the profile he was on so the base commander rescinded his Separations.

We were worried this time as how could they separate him for something he had no control over while he's been through so much with his migraines. My husband had hopes to be career and had hopes that our current duty station would find a treatment or relief of his migraines. His shop is very small so his migraines went under the radar. Also since he had been tossed around through 3 neuro's they had his migraines being marked as actively pursuing so therefore his PCM couldn't initiate an MEB. It was when his neuro got upset at his records and put it in black and white that an MEB was initiated.

My advice, find the regs, talk to your doctors etc. about getting one initiated.

I'm currently on LIMDU. I've pulled every reg I can find and talked to base medical and the supervising MTF in Italy. Everyone says they are administratively unable to initiate a MEB/PEB until I'm in the US. I'm told LIMDU will bring me to the states, but my EAOS may get here before then.

What branch of service are you in? I'm sorry I don't think I read that or I could have and forgot.

I'm in the Navy. I'm stationed overseas in Bahrain. I've been treated for migraines for nearly two years with little improvement.

I know that all branches of military should do things similarly, but I also know it doesn't happen like that. Hopefully some site veterans might have some insight for you that I don't know about. I hope it all works out for you.

Husband received his ratings.

DoD 50% for migraines VA 90% will be put on TDRL.

Mixed feelings because we are still trying to understand TDRL but researching more on TDRL in the mean time.

Here is a breakdown of his conditions.
Dod:
50% for Migraines

VA:
50% for Migraines
50% for OSA
30% Anxiety also claimed as sleep wake condition
10% Right Knee Patello Femoral Syndrome
10% Tinnitus
0% Cervicalgia neck pain
0% Degenerative Join Disease and Lumbago or Back Pain
0% Right Hip Strain
0% LEft Hip Strain
0% Pinguecula
0% Bilateral Inguinal Hernial, s/p surgical repair with residual inguinal pain.
0% Moles aka Hypopigmentation-Skin Condition
0% Residual Scar Right Cheek
0% Scar, S/P umbilical Hernia Repair
0% Astgimatism
0% Hearing Loss
0% Acute Pharyngitis
0% Intercostal Muscle Spasms also claimed as chest pain
0% Acute Gastroenteritis
0% Nausea

Well, congratulations on the recent receipt of your DoD TDRL & DoVA proposed ratings! :)

Yes, indeed! It's in your best interest to continue your research on DoD TDRL in relations to the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Any idea of what the definition of prostating is?

My C&P examiner sent an ammendment to my C&P yeaterday. Seattle VA asked "are service members headaches prostating and how many per month?"

My C&P examinaer responded with an ammendment that stated .... question 1. Non Prostating

A prostrating migraine is of any length or intensity that causes the patient to require absolute minimum external input. This can be as simple as a need to sit down and close ones eyes, or as severe as an inability to stand and require all light and sound pollution be removed.
Rate This Answer

A prostrating migraine is of any length or intensity that causes the patient to require absolute minimum external input. This can be as simple as a need to sit down and close ones eyes, or as severe as an inability to stand and require all light and sound pollution be removed.
Rate This Answer

Thanks Sascha

So in April 24, 2013 the VA (Seattle) sent an "inadequate information" back to me C&P examiner for 3 things.

One was ..."Please state if there are prostating episodes of headache pain; and if so how many per month."

I got a copy of the ammendment today from the VA office...the C&P examiner whom I am starting to have little faith in since they needed 3 things clarified on the original exam stated this on the ammendment...

Question 1. "non prostating"

Now on her original C&P from Jan. It stated "migraines occur at least once a week sometimes more with stress and fatigue to average 6 times a month. Alleviated with dark, quiet seated position for optimal breathing with meds mildly effective. Meds are Tylenol 3, Vewrapamil, and oxygen bottle, they do not alleviate but only help cope with the pain."

Isn't she contradicting herself?

On my Narsum it states "Cluster Migraine Headaches with Horner's Syndrome. The headaches last all day and average atleast once a week to as many as 8 times per month. Headaches are described as incapacitating and effect his activities of daily living and MOS duties within the military.Relief of headaches occurs only with time and sitting in a dark quiet room."

My April 2013 visit sheet to my Army Neurologist states " For preventing (prostating is an old term) cluster migraine headaches at the rate of between 4 -7 a month current medications are to be continued as well as the Botox treatment scheduled for 29 April 2013."

So the c&p examiner made some other statements about my knees and blood pressure which will work themselves out.

My question is should I be really worried that this C&P examiner just listed non prostating to a direct question?

Should i have all of the info stated above copied and highlighted ready for legal if the rating do not come back fair?

by the way I am prescribed Oxygen, tylenol #3, Verapamil and phenergan (for sedation at naseau onset during headaches)

so to me if you have a headache with pain that stops you from doing anything...use oxygen at home when headache starts...take tylenol 3 (which impairs you) and then sedate with a phenregan tablet ...sit at a 45 deg angle in dark quiet room and try to survive....then you are prostating?

Rate This Answer

is this printed anywhere Sascha? or is there a reference for this incase i need to take it to MEB Counsel?

Any idea of what the definition of prostating is?

My C&P examiner sent an ammendment to my C&P yeaterday. Seattle VA asked "are service members headaches prostating and how many per month?"

My C&P examinaer responded with an ammendment that stated .... question 1. Non Prostating

Migraines or headaches that are prostrating basically means that they are so bad they cause the member to become immobile or bedridden. For example in my husbands case when he gets a migraine all activity stops. We head home and he is either sitting in the shower or stuck in his chair and is done for the day. If yours are prostrating don't let them discount that ensure the information they have is accurate.