Unprovoked PE with lifelong anticoagulation recommended

Marks

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Sorry to hear about the DoD rating clearly something is not right. Have you heard anything about proposed VA ratings being changed after a year or having to re do C and P exams after a year?

trini123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I heard that before. I guess it all depends on you seperation date. Like the ratings can't be in 2019 and you separate 2022, you may have to ask your VA rep.

RS_0624

Registered Member
I was given a P2 profile and returned to duty. Anticoagulation therapy doesn’t preclude you from service in the Army apparently. I was told this is relatively new guidance. Since the new oral anticoagulants don’t require INR testing, they don’t pose a risk. I’ll require waivers to deploy in the future. That’s all.
This seems crazy to me that the Army would keep you with being on lifetime anticoagulants. I’ve had one DVT (lower leg), with one recurrence of severe pain and swelling after a two week break from three months of anticoagulant treatment. I am currently in another trial period of being off the anticoagulant meds to see if I can function without any recurrence. My hematology doctor told me that if I have any additional issues (severe pain, swelling, another DVT), or if my upcoming blood tests come back with any kind of genetic issues that they will start the MEB process. He said I will be considered high risk of recurrence, non-deployable and put on anticoagulant meds for life. I’m curious if this same thing will happen to me, referring to the P2 profile. Does anyone else have any experience or information they can share on this issue?
Thanks

Marks

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Please be advised, I too was place on a profile and returned to duty initially however, if a determination is made for life long anticoagulants the MEB is re-initiated and you will be found unfit.

RS_0624

Registered Member
Please be advised, I too was place on a profile and returned to duty initially however, if a determination is made for life long anticoagulants the MEB is re-initiated and you will be found unfit.
@Marks thanks for they info. If you don’t mind me asking - what were your particular circumstances that lead to you being medically retired?

pharmphresh12

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey all,

I was just scheduled for my initial MEB appointment (30 July) for life-long Anticoagulation (Eliquis). All evidence has been directed that I will be found unfit. It's news to me that you could possibly be found fit for taking a medication that precludes you from deploying. I was denied a waiver to deploy to Kosovo last month, which prompted the physician to initiate a MEB. I will continue to update on my status. Who knows if this is the new guidelines or if this was just an anomaly.

trini123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Some folks from the Army and Airforce spoke about being found FIT and returned to duty while on anticoagulants.

pharmphresh12

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Some folks from the Army and Airforce spoke about being found FIT and returned to duty while on anticoagulants.
Ahhh gotcha. I am wondering what determines if they are found FIT or not. Residual symptoms probably play a role. It would seem odd to keep someone that is nondeployable.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">