Upcoming MEB; (2)Pulmonary embolisms and DVT

Hey Allan I am glad to hear from you. Let me know if you got my other message I replied back to you on our conversation page.

Looking for advice on med board vs retirement. Have had PEs twice 2009 and 2015 both were multiple bilateral in lungs and legs Drs have put me on Coumadin for life. I have 20 years in service should I pursue meb or just retire? And what kind of rating should I expect? Have had numerous tests run with no idea what caused either episode. No long trips, plane rides that could have caused either. Any advise or recommendations are welcomed. I am active duty WO. Thanks

Hello hmm325,
Glad you decided to reach out on this forum. I hope you are doing ok since developing your last episode of clots. I don't know if you had the chance to read my post under this thread conversation in Sept 2015, and also the one I just posted this past Monday with my ratings for life long anticoagulant. Why would you want to do a regular retirement because you did not ask to become ill, when you can get more benefits from a medical retirement? The answer to what you asked is Yes you want to do a medical retirement. You gave the military the best years of your life and you want to get the most that you can from developing these injuries. I know you have searched this forum for topics concerning blood clots and PE and it probably brought you here to this conversation. When I first started looking I was just like you could not find a lot of people on here who currently had this medical condition of PE and clots. I found a couple but they were old post. Just not sure what was going to happen or what to do.

The first thing to know that if you are on life long blood thinners, in the Army (AR 40-501) and any Branch of Service this makes you non deployable. You should already have a permanent profile with a P3 if you are Army and on (life long Coumadin) and not temporarily. Any one in any Branch on blood thinners is non deployable which I'm sure you probably already know. Because of all of my other complications with post thrombotic syndrome in both legs I still have not returned back to Active duty full time.
I do want you to read my post on page 1 from Sept under this thread and the one I just wrote on Monday because it is important that you know I have not seen anyone who has recieved any percentage for blood disorder/lifelong anticoagulant. Everyone I have read on here has recieved 0% for that unfit condition from the VA and DOD.
You will read in my previous post what ratings I received. If you are sent to the board because you have a P3 profile due to PE, DVTs, blood disorder, life long Coumadin, make sure your profile is correct for your unfit conditions you are being referred to the Med board for.
Due to complications from these DVTs, If I did not have post thrombotic syndrome, I would not have been given 20% for each leg for my VA ratings that the DOD had to match. Because I was given 0% for life long Coumadin/ blood disorder. Having other referred unfit conditions on my P3 profile, helped My DOD rating for my Army retire the to be 60%.
Due to my length of Active duty service in the Army of 24 years, I am already entitled to 60% anyway if I was doing a regular retirement. I did not have to worry about being offered severance pay from the PEB.
1 of the The differences with being medically retired is all of your money will not be taxed. With a regular retirement all money is subject to being taxed, state taxes depends on the state you file state taxes in. I was told by finance that I qualify for CRDP. I want you to read on this forum about CRDP and CRSC pay, or Google DFAS CRDP and CRSC pay. Also if you do a regular retirement it will take you longer for your VA compensation to be paid to you. With a medical retirement you automatically fall under the IDES (Integrated Disability Evaluation System). If the PEB finds you unfit for duty, This guarantees the VA to give you a rating before being retired for all of your injuries so you can collect your compensation check immediately upon retirement. Because you have 20 years you will get your DOD retirement check and your VA check upon your retirement from the military.
I want you to do your own research and reading on this forum, googling, and getting advice from other forum members. We are all here to help you.

After you have read enough on this forum you are going to know who the real Attorneys are, who are the Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and just who to ask what to because they genuinely care.

I just don't see how you are going to do a regular retirement anyway because you should be medically coded in MEDPROS and EPROFILE system as non deployable if you are Army, wearing medical alert tags for anticoagulant Theraphy, Blood thinners usage as well. If you are medically coded correctly in the medical and personnel systems, no Seperation orders of any type could be generated in AORS until the medical flag is removed. I could keep writing, but if you have further questions let me know.

For clarification on information only...

... The differences with being medically retired is all of your money will not be taxed. ...
Only if a "combat-related" determination was adjudicated by the PEB while in the DoD IDES process is when the military disability retirement shall be computed by DFAS as tax-free military Service retired pay.

... Because you have 20 years you will get your DOD retirement check and your VA check upon your retirement from the military. ...

Please reference the CRDP eligibility chart attachment below for specific detailed information:

upload_2015-11-6_4-57-46.png

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

For clarification on information only...

Only if a "combat-related" determination was adjudicated by the PEB while in the DoD IDES process is when the military disability retirement shall be computed by DFAS as tax-free military Service retired pay.

Please reference the CRDP eligibility chart attachment below for specific detailed information:

View attachment 1840

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!
Hello Warrior644,
Thank you for giving this information to help me out as well as what I wrote about to hmm325. It helps to give more clarity with what I was trying to explain. You always find the best charts to assist as well.

Hello Warrior644,
Thank you for giving this information to help me out as well as what I wrote about to hmm325. It helps to give more clarity with what I was trying to explain. You always find the best charts to assist as well.
Hello @Kazhmone,
Indeed, no worries and you are quite welcome; thanks! :D

Best Wishes!

Kazhmone, thanks for the advice sorry for waiting so long to reply been off the computer for awhile. Honestly didn't know about AR 40-501 and neither does my PA which is probably why she was fired so I am going to see the new one next week and will bring this up. I can't believe that Blood Clots/DVTs are not at least 40-50% disability with the effects it has on your life. It changes your lifestyle dramatically at least for me it did. Look forward to more correspondence with you ref this topic and advice about MEB which I am going to bring up to PA next week also.

Kazhmone, where in AR 40-501 does it state blood thinners is a P3? I have looked and continue to look tonight, if you could can you send me Chapter number or page number? thanks Mike

Kazhmone, where in AR 40-501 does it state blood thinners is a P3? I have looked and continue to look tonight, if you could can you send me Chapter number or page number? thanks Mike
Hey I sent you a message directly I hope this helps you. You don't have to keep looking.

So far am awaiting on my second decision hopefully I should know something by thanksgiving, if disapprove again lawyer said we go for the hearing within 90 days so hopefully by mar16 all this will be over So how are you doing are you still in?
Kashmone
Allan0320, My Attorney submitted my SSDI appeal electronically last week. Today I recieved another function form and my husband recieved 1 to fill out. Did you receive another function form to complete? Have you heard anything else about your case yet?

Roger I did got 2nd denial now just awaiting hearing with 60 days my wife also receive function paper to I fax everything to lawyer so now just waiting will keep you posted

Greetings my Factor V Leiden PE/DVT brothers and sisters,
I'm new to this forum and been reading this tread for a few days now. I'm a AD Major in the Air Force and in 2010 I went to the hospital for PE/DVT after a TDY to Singapore. Also found out that I am Factor V Laden. Eventually, I was coded C1 since I was taken off Coumadin (only taking 81mg Aspirin). Then on Aug 2015 I had another PE and was placed on Xarelto for the rest of my life. I am just starting the full MEB process. I was hoping that the board will see that I am a acquisition officer and that my career field rarely deploys. However, by what I read so far on this thread, if a member has less than 15 years (I'm at 12), there is a high chance that the MEB will not find a member "fit for duty." I will continue to share my experience on the thread. I have several appointments this week with the VA and the hematologist.

Make sure xarelto is the right medicine for you. Check out the side effects I chose Coumadin when I was given the option.

Hello Allan0320,
Please keep me posted. I went back through this forum trying to find more people that had this condition as we do. I did not see alot. I am having complications still with my legs swelling. I guess that is why they gave the 20% for each leg under 7121. I feel the rating should have been more for life long anticoagulant condition especially when I'm having to take thinners (6817) for life since this is my second time developing clots within 2 years. Certain jobs will not hire you when you are taking this medication because of the risk. Make sure you got everything documented for that condition.

I was given 60% by the VA for 6817 but the Navy gave me 0% for 6817. I'm taking Coumadin for life. PDBR shot me down. 14 years in the Navy and no retirement.

Wow are you going to appeal?
I appealed to the PDBR but lost. I then appealed to the BCNR and lost again but the BCNR said they can't overturn a PDBR decision and recommended I appeal to the PDBR again. I'm looking for a good lawyer to do just that. I don't know if anyone has ever tried it before, and if so, were they successful?

This is the BCNR letter:

This is in reference to your application for correction of your naval record pursuant to the provisions of 10 USC 1552.

A review of your application revealed that you requested a review of Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Manpower and Reserve Affairs) decision to approve the recommendation of the Physical Disability Board of Review (PDBR) in your case. As stated in the Director, Secretary of the Navy Council of Review Boards ltr 1850 CORB:003 of 12 May 2011, the Secretary’s decision is a final agency action in your case and is not subject to review by this board. Accordingly, we are administratively closing your application.

You may consider filing another application with the PDBR with your new evidence that was not previously available. Thank you for your interest in the Board of Correction of Naval Records.

Hello Everyone,

I just came across this thread I also had a dvt while in the Air Force and they gave me the boot. They gave me Service connected but 0% rating I am also on Blood thinners for life and still to this day have complications with swelling and burning sensations in my legs if any one has any kind of information how to proceed with filing a claim any info will be greatly appreciated. I kind of got thrown out with no guidance on anything about filing a claim

Hello Everyone,

I just came across this thread I also had a dvt while in the Air Force and they gave me the boot. They gave me Service connected but 0% rating I am also on Blood thinners for life and still to this day have complications with swelling and burning sensations in my legs if any one has any kind of information how to proceed with filing a claim any info will be greatly appreciated. I kind of got thrown out with no guidance on anything about filing a claim
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

For clarification, are you inquiring about filing a claim for disability compensation benefits from the DoVA at this point? :confused:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Howdy All,
I am in a similar situation to many of the folks on this thread...active duty Air Force Major approaching 15 years in service with history of a dvt and the Factor V Leiden genetic clotting disorder. My dvt was a few years ago, but am just doing the MEB now since I was on Tricare Prime Remote at the time of the clot and genetic testing. I'd be fine with a medical dq and retirement or a C-2 ALC code. However, I'm a bit leary about a C-1 code since I don't have confidence that big blue wouldn't send me on a long airplane ride that would drive a second DVT or worse. Has anyone navigated the MEB process for Factor V Leiden with history of DVTs and been retained long term? BTW, I am an aeronautical engineer by AFSC and am scheduled to return to USAFA next year to teach.

Thanks!