upcoming TDRL re-examination, not sure what to do

ChevyRevver

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I've been out of it for awhile, but just got a notice that i have a TDRL re-exam coming up. I'm at 75% DoD and 100% VA, what is the best way I can do this, the letter I got in the mail told me I can either go to an MTF or submit medical records from VA. I've been going to the VA almost nonstop but haven't been doing any better with all my painful body conditions and mental health, other than not feeling suicidal anymore since I left active duty and went back to family.

Should I schedule an appointment with my PCM and ask him to submit everything? Is there anyone reliable enough in the VA who can help me submit everything?

Those of you on TDRL, have you had a better time doing the re-exam via VA or going to an MTF? I want nothing to do with the military anymore and don't want to ever set foot on a base again... just personal feelings.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
They are suppose to only use a recent C&P exam (12 months) you can submit that with VA records. I'm not a big fan of VA Progress Notes because VA medical records are incredibly redundant with vague and ambiguous language. I support a re exam because unlike a VA C&P exams you can provide a rebuttal before its submitted to the informal PEB. But it's your call.

ChevyRevver

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My last C&P exams were over a year and a half ago, during my MEB while I was still in. I've just been going to the doctors since, nothing has changed. What should I do then? I see both tricare and VA doctors, but some remotely

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If your VA records indicate no change in your status that would support no change in your DoD percentage. Why would you risk a new exam, by a DoD doctor who might have a different conclusion. In your case a VA records review might be in your best interest.

ChevyRevver

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
You see thats the answer I'm looking for. Thanks Charlie. Any tips to help whatever arbiter is working on my case to put me on PDRL so I can be done with this?

ChevyRevver

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
with VA, yes. DoD was only putting m on TDRL because of psyche, I know a few others who had this same situation but lost contact with them, whys I'm asking here. I don't think I would benefit from more or less DoD % because I wasn't in for the full 20. What do they look for in MH stable condition?

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@ChevyRevver

It helps because of tricare they typically just want an update what you been doing since release from active duty you usually don't see reductions unless you are working, in college, or something like that. These exams can be quick or long but it should be your last hump so just push through it.

ChevyRevver

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I took some classes but dropped out of a program, don't know if I'll go back. That enough to lower %? Have been unemployed, and probably will, even though I don't want to be.

iThinkICan

Registered Member
Aside from a VA re exam at 2 years on the TDRL, I never stepped foot in the VA. The entire time I was being seen at a Naval Hospital. I also went back to school then quit due to anxiety and it did not affect my rating. My VA Re exam was done through VES by a civilian contracted psychiatrist which ended in 100PT.

Fast forward to my TDRL Exam. By then I had moved overseas with no VA or MTF. According to Navy TDRL folks, they could not accept records from "Non VA" providers (dumb), and would only accept VA or MTF records. So they sent me to a Clinic at Tripler where I had a great experience, and now being placed on PDRL. I was told to bring all my medical records, but I had none to bring since I was seen at an MTF the entire time. If you choose the Re Exam, bring all records maybe even your award letter. Best of luck to you!

ChevyRevver

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I opted for the VA re-submit. It makes sense since thats what I've been going to for my health. Thanks for the input.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">