Update on my Transition Post Military

Almost_Separated

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Two months after medically retiring my VA claim has finalized. I received back pay a few days after that. The main condition I was referred to the MEB for, ME/CFS, was originally awarded 10%, but the VA backtracked their decision and deferred the condition for re-evaluation. I have the C&P exam for that next week. My 100% rating still remains at 100% and the letter I received in the mail from the VA confirmed I am P&T.

I called the ODVA last week and they started the process to generate the certified letter that I can use to get a sales tax exemption card, exemption of property taxes, reduced vehicles registration, and free hunting and fishing license. They said the process will take up to 1.5 months to complete all of the paperwork and certification.

I have been using Chapter 31 Voc Rehab since August of this year. Really great program. They purchased all of my books, paid for all of the fees/tuition, and purchased all supplies I needed for the classes. They also paid for a campus parking pass (cost was around $265).

I started my new job at the VA as a work study. I get paid federal minimum wage to sit at a desk and do my school work (the income isn't taxed). I help schedule appointments and answer what questions I can. I really enjoy the opportunity the job provides for having a quiet place to study. My first contract is for around 416 hours and I will be able to get a new contract for the spring school semester. During winter break (30 days) I will be able to continue working at the VA in order to finish whatever hours I don't complete this school semester.

Due to how much walking I have to do around campus my back had me in crippling pain. During my initial VA exam to transfer my treatment over to my new PCM I asked him to sign off on a disability placard application. He also transferred my medications over to their system so that I can start receiving them in the mail. The State of Oklahoma took about 3 weeks to approve of my application and I now have two placards for using in my two vehicles. Being able to park closer to the buildings on campus has helped out significantly with my back pain. I now only have to walk 100 yards instead of 3/4 of a mile to class.

Looks like a win after terrible circumstances! Just be careful with the meds.

Great advice Pyro. I am doing my best to only take the medications I absolutely need. I have found more relief for my back pain by using TENS instead of high doses of pain killers.

3 month update,

My deferred condition that was originally proposed 10% during the MEB has been reevaluated and I was awarded 40% instead. The reevaluation was performed by LHI instead of QTC.

I received my sales tax exemption card from the Oklahoma Tax Commission, hunting/fishing license for life, and started the paperwork for getting 100% exempt on property taxes.