Upgrade Decision;12-18 months

Andyleemrrs

Registered Member
Good Afternoon All,

A little background: I was given a GEN Under Honorable Conditions just days after I found out I have a heart defect that would have put me through MEB (according to my attorney). They technically had three LORs for me due to being 15 minutes late 3 different occasions (this was due to heart medication that my cardiologist prescribed to me), which all happened within a couple of weeks due to the meds kicking me in the you know what. Yes, I came off the meds because of this. Anyway, once my COC found out about my cardiologist determining a serious heart condition along with a recommendation I be released from AD, the COC expedited an administrative discharge. Yeah, they were not fans of mine.

I hired an attorney and applied for VA disability. I can't lift over 35 lbs and I have a loop recorder implanted in my chest and I have to have testing done every few weeks. I was awarded 80% the first try.
My attorney is currently pulling together all of the paperwork and evidence that proves they intentionally screwed me over. However today they told me it could take anywhere from 12-18 months for them to even come up with a decision to upgrade my discharge. My lawyer is fighting for a MEB, which I was unaware until after my discharge that this can happen even after the fact. Can it really take that long? I want my 9/11 bill. I want to go back to school. But is it even a realistic possibility now? I am almost 30. Don't get me wrong, I would feel a lot less down all the time if my discharge got upgraded but 12-18 months is a long time and I have to start making long term decisions to better my family. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The BCMR is a long process 2+ years for the whole process is not unusual. Your attorney is shooting straight with you.

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It is unfortunate, please most of that time is just waiting in the que. This is an issue that veteran service organizations ought to take to Congress. The VA has worked hard to reduce their que time, the services have not.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">