UQR and MEB questions

SirSleepsAlot

Registered Member
Greetings everyone,

I am an Army Officer who was injured at SFAS: (L) pectoral major tendon complete tear, (L) shoulder labrum tear, (L) partial bicep tear. I underwent surgery to reattach my (L) pectoral major tendon and am awaiting surgery for my shoulder in the coming months. My initial plan after sustaining these injuries was to separate under UQR this next summer, my Physical Therapist recently brought up that he thinks they will initiate a MEB following recovery after my next surgery, approximately 8-10 months from now. Here are some questions I am confused on and would greatly appreciate insight from the board:

- If I submit a UQR and it is approved, will that have any effect on a MEB being initiated at a later date? Additionally, would a UQR effect disability ratings?
- What is the likelihood of a MEB being initiated for my type of injuries?
- Is there anything negative I should be aware of that a UQR can cause that is irreversible in terms of transitioning out of the Army?

Thank you in advance for your insights and advice, I really appreciate it.

- SSA

I am unable to answer your questions about UQR as I do not know what that is, we probably have something similar in the Air Force but don't know what it pertains to. As for the chance of being MEBd after your surgery. You are supposed to be allotted enough time to fully recover from surgery to include healing and physical therapy to try and get you back to square one. Everyone is different and not everyone fully recovers. It will come down to after your healing time are you able to continue your job as well as complete your physical fitness exam. This should be several months down the road. My first knee surgery I was given 6 months for recovery, and by my 5th surgery I was given 8 months.

An unqualified release from the USA would not consider the fact that you may be entitled to retired status. Retired status entitles a member to TriCare. The MEB/PEB process will also concurrently determine any eligibility to VA compensation. Obviously on you know your entire situation, but continuing to draw pay and have medical care provided while your injuries heal are a substantial benefit unto themselves.

Thank you both for you replys!

Chaplaincharlie, could you elaborate on the portion talking about a UQR from USA not considering the fact that I may be entitled to retired status? Does that mean if my UQR is approved it would eliminate me from being able to be medically retired? I am slightly confused on the exact relationship between UQR and MEB/PEB and really appreciate your responses.

Don’t resign, go through the MEB and at least get compensated for your injuries.

I submitted my UQR and something came up on exit physical that needed a MEB. I was given the courtesy of choosing to exit as planned or waiting out MEB. It was hard to do but I took the MEB and eventually retired 18+ months later.

After the MEB started I had to get the Brigade S-1 and myself on a 3 way call with HRC. In my case it was a MFR that I was rescinding my resignation, but it took some coordination to get it routed to the right people at HRC.

I was 48 hrs away from having my HHG picked up and was able to get the UQR rescinded in time. I doubt it would have any impact in your case.

I’d also take the PT’s opinion with a grain of salt. I lost count of how many Soldiers would hear similar from various docs other than PCM. 9/10 it was an ill informed remark by someone who doesn’t understand how this works.

Most likely scenario would be finish all the surgeries and then get time to recover. If, after a few months, you are still having residual issues that fail retention standards then the wheels may start moving. If the docs think you can recover after treatment they aren’t likely to jump the gun.

Don’t be shy to make your preference or openness for MEB known if a chance to bring it up tactfully comes up. Your input will sway the direction some docs will lean, but’s it’s not guaranteed by any means. Be candid when possible in regards to asking about prognosis etc.

If it looks like MEB is likely then don’t submit UQR, it was a pain to rush and get mine fixed.

Last edited:
Don't do the UQR! Get your surgeries to get yourself fixed and recovered as much as possible, then go through MEB/PEB which may get you medical retirement with Tricare eligibility if your unfit conditions are rated 30% or higher by DoD. Good luck!