script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Urgent - Misdiagnosis of PD vs PTSD/MDD

tatchisona

Registered Member
Hello!

I'm currently active duty 3 yrs SRA USAF.

I've been to 6 inpatient hospitals 1 outpatient/ all diagnosed PTSD MDD / over 110 days in treatment

On base provider has only diagnosed BPD recently changed to BPD and Anxiety unspecified.
They've already pushed hard for an administrative separation for BPD alone.
I've never been counseled nor in trouble for anything. Received an Exceeds most but not all standards on my performance evaluation.
Wouldn't that effect the PD diagnosis claim.

Will the added diagnosis of Anxiety convert it to a MEB?
Do the off base providers diagnosis mean anything to the military?
I have two main traumatic events that would make everything service related, as I generally believe the Air Force caused my problems.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
This happens with some regularity. There are things you can control and things you can not control in this process. You can not control others in this process, only yourself. So what can you do? 1. Consult legal counsel. 2. If you are within 6 months of your separation date apply to the VA for Benefits Delivery at Discharge. If you are not within 6 months of discharge apply as soon as possible. The VA will independently evaluate your medical condition. If you receive a mental health diagnosis other than a PD at 30% or higher you would have a great case with the Board for the Correction of Military Records (BCMR). 3. Request a second opinion outside the military system. 4. Get and keep a copy of your diagnoses inpatient/outpatient stays.

Hopefully others can add to my suggestions. When did the traumatic experience occur that is the basis of your PTSD diagnosis?

A non PD should be rated. There was long history of misusing PD to railroad members out of the service. You are not alone.

tatchisona

Registered Member
This happens with some regularity. There are things you can control and things you can not control in this process. You can not control others in this process, only yourself. So what can you do? 1. Consult legal counsel. 2. If you are within 6 months of your separation date apply to the VA for Benefits Delivery at Discharge. If you are not within 6 months of discharge apply as soon as possible. The VA will independently evaluate your medical condition. If you receive a mental health diagnosis other than a PD at 30% or higher you would have a great case with the Board for the Correction of Military Records (BCMR). 3. Request a second opinion outside the military system. 4. Get and keep a copy of your diagnoses inpatient/outpatient stays.

Hopefully others can add to my suggestions. When did the traumatic experience occur that is the basis of your PTSD diagnosis?

A non PD should be rated. There was long history of misusing PD to railroad members out of the service. You are not alone.
The Traumatic experiences occurred after a year of service.
Was just updated that if a MEB isnt pushed by June 8th it’ll be going up for a Administrative separation. It seems damn near impossible to get support before they hand me the administrative separation paperwork.

Paramount

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Was just updated that if a MEB isnt pushed by June 8th it’ll be going up for a Administrative separation. It seems damn near impossible to get support before they hand me the administrative separation paperwork.
Since you have some time. I would email your command. Ask exactly what Regulation paragraph and line number you "may" be separated under. Then Contact your case manager on with your medical documents to see what they can do while waiting on response from your command. DONT CALL YOUR COMMAND! Use email first! if you want to call after sending the email that's fine. But keep a date and time stamp on everything. Email is good that way. If the case manager and command does not help. Contact your local IG and see what they have to say. If none of those work, talk to a chaplain. A lot of people underestimate the power of a chaplain on post for advice and connection's.

These are just some other steps other then what others have posted. I hope it works out in your favor.

Last edited:

wallys1025

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello!

I'm currently active duty 3 yrs SRA USAF.

I've been to 6 inpatient hospitals 1 outpatient/ all diagnosed PTSD MDD / over 110 days in treatment

On base provider has only diagnosed BPD recently changed to BPD and Anxiety unspecified.
They've already pushed hard for an administrative separation for BPD alone.
I've never been counseled nor in trouble for anything. Received an Exceeds most but not all standards on my performance evaluation.
Wouldn't that effect the PD diagnosis claim.

Will the added diagnosis of Anxiety convert it to a MEB?
Do the off base providers diagnosis mean anything to the military?
I have two main traumatic events that would make everything service related, as I generally believe the Air Force caused my problems.
Sorry to hear about your issues. I would suggest that you make a congressional inquiry as the dx from off base should be in your med records. are you on any meds?

Wally

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Have you talked to counsel? Have you applied for Benefits Delivery at Discharge? You can set yourself up for recovery.