USMC 10 years enlisted Stroke DoD 30% VA 70%

Isaac Matthew Angers

Registered Member
I am new to this forum and I was wondering if there is anyone who has had a stroke and is going through or has gone through the PEB process. Also I would like to know if findings of Unfit DoD 30% and VA 70% are good, Bad, or Ugly. I will meet with my PEBLO today to either sign the findings or request an appeal. It's sad to say but I've felt that most personnel involved just want to get your signature on the line so that you're no longer their problem. Any info is appreciated. Semper Fidelis

maparker

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
What conditions did the VA rate and what ratings did they give. Was your decision for TDRL or PDRL?

Mike

Marine32

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Wow! I was placed on TDRL in 2009 after I had a stroke. I was rated at the same % as you from the DOD and VA. I was rated at 20% for neck issues, and only 10% for right sided motor issues associated with my stroke. I'm sure I could have been rated higher for the stroke residuals, but I planned on getting better and returning to service. Like Mike said: what conditions did they rate as unfitting (what code too), and was it TDRL or PDRL? By the way, my stroke was caused by a PFO

maparker

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
To be clear, I am interested in what the VA rated that garnered a 70% rating from the VA. I assume he was adjudicated under the IDES.

Isaac Matthew Angers

Registered Member
Here’s an update on my board. My findings are back I received a DoD rating of 30% with Permanent Disability Retirement from active duty. They found that my unfitting conditions were Ataxic Hemi paresis with Motor Dysfunction 20%(8009-8512) and my diagnosis of SLE Systemic Lupus Erythematosis 10%(7117-6350) they also threw in Ischemic Stroke Involving the Left Corona Radiate (43821)Patent Foramen Ovale (7231), and neck & Lower Back Pain (7242) as related. For my VA rating of 70% they included my Stroke 20%(8009-8512), The SLE 10%/(7117-6350), The Hemi paresis 10%(8009-8520), Lower Back Strain 40%(5237), and Upper Back Strain 10%(5242) also including several items rated at 0%. I haven’t signed these findings yet I wanted to get legal counsel first, as well as some insight from the PEB community. I appreciate any opinions are these ratings fair, Am I getting my due. Thank you all and Semper Fi

maparker

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
A PDRL decision is good to have as it means life time retirement. It is often the case that a higher DoD rating will not garner any more pay or benefits. Why risk the PDRL at a formal board if nothing is to be gained? To better advise, I would need to know your high three pay amount and your years/months of service. How many dependents do you have for VA comp purposes?

Were the "related conditions" called CAT II? Were the related conditions rated by the VA?

Sounds like you went throught the IDES. You have one year to challenge the VA ratings via a NOD. If it turns out the ratings for the unfitting conditions should have been higher at time of discharge, the DoD rating is supposed to corrected via the BCNR.

Mike

Juan Juarez

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey, Im in the same boat as the Marine 30% - 70% Med Retire with 15 years service in 2 days as an e-6 with date of rank of 01 jul 2010. What am I looking at? Thanks.

Isaac Matthew Angers

Registered Member
It depends on your circumstances. These things are determined by the PEB and their findings. It took my case about 1 year to get to this point. Your compensation will depend on the % ratings, as well as Time in service and if/how many dependents you have. If your'e asking what type of comp you'll be getting I haven't signed my findings yet so I'm not sure myself. It's not a lot I can tell you that, at this point the main benefit for myself & my family is going to be the healthcare and base/commissary/exchange access benefits. I would suggest you talk to your VA case manager or PEBLO for more accurate info on your compensation. I will try to post updates of my experiences as I progress through the separation process.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">