USMC MEB

254wondering

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all, I am seeking some guidance.

I am at 4 yrs in the Marine Corps,
I was diagnosed with spondylosis, herniated/bulging discs, Pinched nerves, and DDD (Which i understand is an umbrella term).
Anyways, I went on like this for about 3 years until I got surgery which resulted in bone spurs and scar tissue. I'm young and was denied the surgery at first but after fighting to try and stay in was able to get it. Now that I went through the surgery and things have gotten worse... I am being sent up to a MEB. I got the NAVMED 6100/5 signed by the docs and now am just waiting.

What should I expect next?
Who should I expect to contact me(if anyone)?
Is there anyone I can reach out to?

I have about 14 months left in. I am wondering what the chances of me getting out before my EAS are.. I do not care to get 100% so I won't be fighting to get medically retired, just have my injuries taken care of. This medical stuff has been stressful and dragging on.. I already have a plan when I get out so I would like to move on with my life and start a new chapter-hence trying to speed up this process.

*yes I do care way too much about how other Marines view me(a pretty much physically useless Marine) and so I want to rush this process but know I probablyyyy should not

js820

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
We've got similar issues. Did a specific injury happen to cause this, or was it a prior to service thing? The big thing is getting it service connected. But since you had surgery and it got worse, then you should be fine. Where on your spine is the DDD/issue/surgery? Describe your symptoms more clearly and we can help. militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com is a great resource to learn about the IDES process and how individual things are rated.

You'll spend about 6-8 months going through the IDES process. So I am sure you'll EAS out of a medboard before you EAS due to time left. Once you start the medboard you can't get separated until it concludes anyway.

Have you met your Medboard intake person or PEBLO yet? I don't remember what form the 6100/5 is.

My advice is don't worry about other people, just read up and educate yourself of the injuries you have and process and ratings. Endure the IDES process, and you'll come out just fine...patience is key.

254wondering

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
We've got similar issues. Did a specific injury happen to cause this, or was it a prior to service thing? The big thing is getting it service connected. But since you had surgery and it got worse, then you should be fine. Where on your spine is the DDD/issue/surgery? Describe your symptoms more clearly and we can help. militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com is a great resource to learn about the IDES process and how individual things are rated.

You'll spend about 6-8 months going through the IDES process. So I am sure you'll EAS out of a medboard before you EAS due to time left. Once you start the medboard you can't get separated until it concludes anyway.

Have you met your Medboard intake person or PEBLO yet? I don't remember what form the 6100/5 is.

My advice is don't worry about other people, just read up and educate yourself of the injuries you have and process and ratings. Endure the IDES process, and you'll come out just fine...patience is key.

Thanks for the reply.. yes...I had a specific injury happen during my time that caused the herniated&bulging discs in my lower back. since my command said it was so common (L5/S1) (when the MRI came back) they have me continue running/doing everything i normally would. Didn't matter that I was put on LD at the time... It got worse and so I ended up getting the surgery(discectomy) that was later offered after my first 6 months LD. In an effort to try and get back to PFT/CFT condition I got worse by pretty much re-injuring it. although the issue is with my lower back, my symptoms are all in my legs, making it hard to run and do the things I use to do. Symptoms are shooting and tingling pains that come and go, doesnt matter if I sit or am working out.

I haven't met with my Peblo yet, the paperwork to begin the medboard with all signatures got routed today. Im hoping to meet my Peblo or get an update next week.

js820

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
You've got a good chance of retirement I'd say. Just hang in there and do everything your PEBLO says. Meet with the VA attorney appointed to you before you send your package off to DC for the PEB. Let them review everything to see if it needs adjustments. Make sure that your NARSUM and your referred conditions letter includes your leg symptoms and back issues as unfitting conditions. Your back and each of your legs should be at least three total conditions (assuming both legs are affected with pain or other symptoms). Percentage of disability for back is based on range of motion; for your legs it will be the severity of [sciatic] nerve damage or impairment...read up on that website for more info on ratings. Where are you stationed, or where is your doctor at? My doc is at Balboa is San Diego, so my package is getting ran out of there even though I'm at CPen. I started my medboard in December, should find out results by the end of this month. I say that to give you an idea of how fast cases like ours are going right now. Location and injury types seem to be good indicators of time to compare. Took January and February to get through all of the paperwork and appointments. Package went to DC mid March. Should hear back by end of May or early June.

254wondering

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
This is great advice and that timeline is one I would be very happy with, hopefully everything goes smoothly. I will be sure to mention my legs, I have mentioned at almost all my appointments but will ensure that the paperwork includes this. My L leg is the worst and my R leg is just beginning to show similar symptoms. If I get medically retired that is fine however I am worried that I will be prohibted from working and I want to work when I get out. Not doing construction or anything physically demanding but I would still like to work, I'm too young and want to secure my future with income as well as my family's future. I've heard mixed things about getting 100%, I've heard that there are two different percentages, the one that is DoD(?) is the one that prohibits you to work. I have also heard it doesn't matter if you get 100% you can still work.

Which website shows the info for ratings?

I am stationed near DC actually, but not at a MC unit. I'm attached to a MC unit thats attached to an Army base. I wonder if being closer to Quantico makes a difference or not. I hope you hear back soon.

js820

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Shouldn't make too big of a difference where you're at. militarydisabiltymadeeasy.com - just google it...explains everything. You wont get 100% unless you have other things to get rated. DOD is your retirement percentage, they only factor in what's "unfitting" for military service - like your back and legs. Your VA rating takes into account everything you claim. So if you have sleep issues or anything else you've dealt with from military service, think about those and make sure you claim them when you meet with your MSC (va rep that fills out your claim letter with you). Definitely make sure if you do Physical therapy or any appointment you constantly remind them to put down your symptoms. When the VA goes to rate your conditions, medical evidence is what they look at to establish the ratings. If there is no mention of any symptoms, it likely wont be rated. I claimed other things like knee and joint pain since I limp, but I don't think I'll get rated for those because nothing is mentioned in most of my medical records. So right now I know the VA rated me 80%, but I'm waiting for my DOD rating. Hopefully I end up with like 50% DOD and 80% VA, but we'll see. Keep in mind the VA uses a combined disability calculator to determine your ratings...10 + 10 + 10 does not equal 30. Google combined disability calculators to plug in what you think you'll get per condition to total your expected rating. That website explains it all. Spend some time reading and learning about it all.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Re: Ratings and Payments

1. Although an individual can receive a 100% rating from the DoD as a disability percentage, the maximum payable by law is @ 75% (i.e., high three average base pay x 0.75 = retired pay).

2. Your DoD retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation.

3. Example using random numbers
VA compensation = 3000
DoD disability = 4000
4000 (DoD) - 3000 VA = 1000 residual retired pay

This individual would receive:
1000 from DFAS
3000 from VA
Note: Most CH 61 retirees do not have any residual retired pay after the reduction (VA offset).

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">