USN Dental Officer. IPEB results returned, should I request VA reconsideration?

dwordal

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Sorry for the "11th hour" post but I've kind of run out of options for where to turn for advice in this whole process and my 10 day window is up on Thursday...

First, a little background. I am a USN Dental Officer (general dentist) and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost exactly 1 yr ago (June 15 2011). Since then, I have been through the entire horrible PEB process and just received my IPEB results last week.

Results:
I was found unfit, with an unfit rating of 60% and an overall 80% VA rating, and recommended for the TDRL. From what I understand, the way they did my unfit rating was a little unusual and therefore I'm a little confused on how to proceed.

Unfit rating total: 60%
Diabetes (20%)
Idiopathic Headaches (30%)
Tremors left/right hands (10%...bilateral rating)

Since my diabetes diagnosis, I have suffered from chronic headaches, trembling/tingling & poor circulation in my hands, and a whole host of other issues. Obviously, as a dentist, these issues have led to less than adequate performance of my job/duties. Even though I've had continued good A1cs (under 7%) and strict blood sugar control...I'm still having these issues. As far as my submitted PEB paperwork...I was originally only referred for type 1 diabetes. I was expecting/hoping, with all of my secondary symptoms, to receive at most a 40% rating on the diabetes and PDRL. The specific breakdown of the diabetes, headachess and tremors was a surprise.

My question is whether or not I should submit a reconsideration request to the VA to try to get the diabetes itself bumped from 20-40%? During this last year, I've also had to restrict my physical activities due to hypoglycemia issues and have accompanying documentation (waived PFAs, note from primary, etc) which should meet the additional requirement of "regulation of activities" to warrant a 40% rating.

Obviously, I'm happy about the 60% unfit rating but I'm concerned that I'm currently only given TDRL status (and in future re-evals they may try to drop the headaches/tremors, leaving me with only 20%). However, I'm also worried that if I do request a reconsideration that they might agree to the 40% diabetes rating, lump the headaches and tremors the diabetes, and drop me from 60%-40%..potentially just to keep me on the TDRL list. Also, is there any possibility that by asking for a VA reconsideration, they could reopen my entire case and potentially change the TDRL status to severance or even find me fit?

The other piece to this is that my command has given me nothing but flak this entire year (constantly trying to write me up for petty issues, treating me like a dirtbag, etc) and I don't necessarily want to prolong dealing with them...although it may be the lesser of two evils.

Anyway, I hope I explained this well enough and if there is more information that might be helpful in giving advice, please ask. I just want to be done with all of this and not get screwed (now or in the future!)

THANK YOU!!

Assuming you are in the IDES system, I see little to lose by requesting a reconsideration from the VA (though, to be clear, it is technically possible that you get a reduced rating from this...given what you stated, though, this seems extremely unlikely).

If you are in in IDES (which seems likely/certain) be aware that the the current regulations state that the VA should conduct the rating re-evaluation. Also be aware that the Navy seems to be currently ignoring this requirement (I had a very recent case where the Navy tried to rate the member; I objected based on the fact that the regulation states the VA should conduct the rating. They "punted" by continuing my client on the TDRL for an additional period, which was acceptable to my client). I think they are trying to get rid of members rated in IDES at 30% or above by rating them finally without referral to the VA...I think this is a big issue in the future if they don't refer members to the VA for final ratings.

Another option is to challenge the VA rating after you are retired, through normal VA appeals and to then take that finding and appeal to BCNR. The regulations suggest you should clearly prevail in that situation.

Best of luck!

I am part of the IDES system...as far as I know. So you don't think that they would agree to bump the diabetes rating up to 40% and then absorb the other unfit conditions, i.e. headaches & tremors? Obviously, I don't want to drop from 60-40% if that's likely to happen. Also, I thought that once I "accepted" the findings, the unfit conditions/percentages were locked in. I had no idea there was a process to appeal those ratings after the fact. Is appealing after retirement a much longer/difficult process than while still in "active" duty? Thanks for the info!

Dental Doc,

SWO here :) Where are you located? Did they offer you access to a PEB trained JAG when you got these results? If not, I have the name/number of a good one at Portsmouth, VA that I could pass on to you. At the least, he could refer you to one closer to you.

Send me a PM if I can help.

Best wishes,
Green

Green,

Thanks for the offer. I'm outside of Seattle, in Bremerton, WA. I have been working with a PEB JAG (now civillian) in San Diego who was very helpful in the process but kind of dismissed my question about the reconsideration. However, from everything I've looked up and the issues I've heard with people going through the TDRL re-eval process...I think I definitely need to push the diabetes issue. I guess if they drop me from 60-40% but change me to PDRL based solely on the diabetes, it would be worth it.

I finally got my PEB package back after a VA recon that took almost 12 weeks to get back.

Final Results

Navy Side:

Diabetes: 40%
Headaches: 30%
Bilateral hand tremors ( 10% each hand)

Total: 70% (TDRL)

VA Side:

Total: 90% (other conditions not listed)

Thanks for all of the advice regarding the recon. I am obviously happy that they decided to give me 40% for Type I diabetes (basically organ failure) but I'm a little frustrated that I'm still on the TDRL and not looking forward to having to fight to keep my benefits every 18 months.

Can anyone give me an idea what to expect with this TDRL business (I know the basics) and what I need to do in order to keep them from lowering my % at future re-evaluations?

All,

Please be wary of any "advice" offered by PEB representatives during this process. Make no mistake, the PEB system is set up to protect the interests of the MILITARY, not the disabled member. Throughout my 18 month PEB nightmare, I was given "advice" by PEB representatives that would have led me to accept a ridiculous severance and no guarantee of medical benefits after discharge. I was branded a "dirt bag" and antagonized when I refused to go along with this discharge package. Unfortunately, I encountered many other members who accepted this offer and were medically separated under these shameful conditions. Let's not "sugarcoat" this disease; type 1 diabetes is ORGAN FAILURE that results in a lifetime of 24/7 management. Even with perfect control, there is a high likelihood of horrible complications. The fact that the PEB system labels this disease as no more than mere inconvenience and separates its disabled veterans without guaranteed access to medical benefits/adequate monetary compensation is criminal. Under their standard separation procedure for type 1 diabetes you won't be able to afford even basic testing supplies/insulin in the civilian world, let alone the medical costs for diabetic related complications (i.e. Blindness, ED, Amputation, Kidney/Heart Disease, Gastroparesis, Neuropathy....the list goes on and on). YOU are your only true advocate in this system. Educate yourself, seek advice from knowledgeable people on this forum, and don't accept anything the military representatives tell you without input from legitimate legal advice (that doesn't always mean JAG either)....if you are a type 1 diabetic, fight tooth and nail to get at LEAST 30% PEB rated/ medically retired!

Also, I would be concerned that PEB associated representatives are now trolling this board. They may be offering genuine help but I would be VERY careful about what you say on here and to make sure that everything you are told is legitimate!