USPDA orders: Retirement type and allotment code 11

vantressj

Registered Member
Oddpedestrian, I received my orders with the same Permanent/ 11; Statute: 1204. What do you me by "discretionary or non-discretionary allotment? My PEBLO assured me that my VA compensation would remain and that in addition I would receive a portion of my military retirement.

I haven't received any retirement pay yet because I just retired a couple days ago. Prior to retiring as a reservist, I had a VA rating of 100% plus additional compensation due to a terminal illness called ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). I'm just worried that my retirement/ compensation will be less than my current VA compensation ($8119.02/ month). For Lou Gehrig's, the closer to quadriplegia and death we become the greater the compensation. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Oddpedestrian, I received my orders with the same Permanent/ 11; Statute: 1204. What do you me by "discretionary or non-discretionary allotment? My PEBLO assured me that my VA compensation would remain and that in addition I would receive a portion of my military retirement.

I haven't received any retirement pay yet because I just retired a couple days ago. Prior to retiring as a reservist, I had a VA rating of 100% plus additional compensation due to a terminal illness called ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). I'm just worried that my retirement/ compensation will be less than my current VA compensation ($8119.02/ month). For Lou Gehrig's, the closer to quadriplegia and death we become the greater the compensation. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
You get 8119 from the VA now? Do you have a 20-year letter from service? On the 23rd make sure you check your mypay you will now recieve a RAS (Retiree account statement) from there you will see the breakdown of your pay if it's not what you were expecting call DFAS and request an audit to be mailed to your mailing address or email. A discretionary allotment is an allotment that you set up yourself non-discretionary are for support orders, back taxes, overpayment etc deductions that were not set up by you.

vantressj

Registered Member
You get 8119 from the VA now? Do you have a 20-year letter from service? On the 23rd make sure you check your mypay you will now recieve a RAS (Retiree account statement) from there you will see the breakdown of your pay if it's not what you were expecting call DFAS and request an audit to be mailed to your mailing address or email. A discretionary allotment is an allotment that you set up yourself non-discretionary are for support orders, back taxes, overpayment etc deductions that were not set up by you.
Yes, I have been getting $8119/month from the VA. I was diagnosed through the VA while I was still in the reserves and my service connection was completed within a few weeks. ALS is expedited because it's 100% fatal, often within 2 years. The Reserves forced me to do the med board process and now I am finally retired. On the 23rd I'll check MyPay for an RAS to hopefully see the breakdown. Thanks for your help!

vantressj

Registered Member
Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if I do in fact have a non-discretionary allotment coming out. I just realized a couple days ago that while I was a reservist I had $400,000 of SGLV allotted for each pay period. But, when I stopped drilling due to my ALS I was not being paid. So, my last LES from getting out shows my SGLI/ FGLI as debts. I bet that's what it's for. I was told I just need to get with DFAS tomorrow and pay it off for my VGLI to be activated. I bet that's what it is. Thanks for your help!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">