Va 100% ptsd and further eval

blueline69

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am a OEF veteran now 30. I was bumped to 100% ptsd while fully employed as a fulltime police officer in 2015. And have since been on a downward spiral. I had to leave that job, then got fired from a federal job and now have a job where thr majority of my work is from home and was hired with the schedule A hiring. i have done cpt and a couple sessions of EMDr which gave me worse panic attacks.. VA keeps saying in patient but i could never not be by my wife and kids as they are thr only thing keeping me sane.

va now wants to do another eval to see if i have bipolar now as they believe my high impulse and energy are not just ptsd.. I believe i will be having a reeval for my percentage in a year or 2 but the DAV also told me to submit claims for secondary things now like IBS, tmj, ulcers..My question is are their different ratings for ptsd and bipolar also? What would help possibly get p and t..as part of me wants it as if some of the things I do have been deemed suicidal tendencies and well of something happens to me I want my family to be taken care of. Any help would be great as I have been feeling at war with myself especially worse since 2015.

There is no difference in the MH ratings all are rated by social and occupational impairment but it needs to be stable or not likely to improve to get a P&T rating. Maybe they will do it after this exam but if so I wouldn't file any additional claims.

I understand what you are going through. I have PTSD and have been in and out of the hospital due to that. the only thing that can really ground me if my family. that is the only thing that has kept me alive.

Is it true that since i have a 100% rsting that the VA if ever wanting to reduce needs to show material improvement?

Is it true that since i have a 100% rsting that the VA if ever wanting to reduce needs to show material improvement?

Right but the more opportunities you give them to keep looking at your file or just one examiner stating they could possibly see some improvement in the future is all it takes to keep you in limbo over P&T status.

Understood.. I guess I will just continue my treatment with VA and vet center maybe someone will actually be able to help. What pisses me off is there all about statistics, like I did the CPT and since it didnt help there like maybe ur more fucked up with other problems lets look, Like maybe ur CPT is shit.

I am a OEF veteran now 30. I was bumped to 100% ptsd while fully employed as a fulltime police officer in 2015. And have since been on a downward spiral. I had to leave that job, then got fired from a federal job and now have a job where thr majority of my work is from home and was hired with the schedule A hiring. i have done cpt and a couple sessions of EMDr which gave me worse panic attacks.. VA keeps saying in patient but i could never not be by my wife and kids as they are thr only thing keeping me sane.

va now wants to do another eval to see if i have bipolar now as they believe my high impulse and energy are not just ptsd.. I believe i will be having a reeval for my percentage in a year or 2 but the DAV also told me to submit claims for secondary things now like IBS, tmj, ulcers..My question is are their different ratings for ptsd and bipolar also? What would help possibly get p and t..as part of me wants it as if some of the things I do have been deemed suicidal tendencies and well of something happens to me I want my family to be taken care of. Any help would be great as I have been feeling at war with myself especially worse since 2015.
Blueline69
I have 100% full total An permanent with the VA. I was discharged with the diagnosis of bipolar an given a 10% rating coming out. It took from 2007 to 2011 to get a VA increase. I had to attend every appointment take labs for med levels. I felt hopeless an lost not knowing which detection to turn. I also felt at any minute my money would be gone! I felt this way because every time they increased my rating I had to do another evaluation! I rocked 100% for two years stressed an worried my final evolution would make me loss my house an life! It was hell! Last Dec. I found out a month after my final review I was finally totally disabled! They do this to see if your getting better or worse! If you get better they help keep you better An you work a job. If your not, then you have to follow the treatment plans. Bipolar is not easy. I have been taken meds for years to find some kinda normal! You stick with it , talk to your Med doctor about your issues an how you feel they will try to help An will state you are not able too work or deal with life issues well. With them in your corner an you keeping up with you claim an medical history, you should be ok. Bi-polar diagnosing is part of PTSD being defined so you can be helped. Out of all that time I struggled my doctor from 2012-now has stuck with me even through relocating. I owe her my life! So don’t overly stress. Breath get your ducks in order an just do what they ask. Keeping appointments and communicating with your primary care is the best thing to show the VA that you need help. I don’t know if this helps but, that’s alittle of my story

Yea i had a job when i got rated 100. since then i was fired from one and had to leave another. now i have one but it is work from home and i was hired with a schedule a hiring, ..so idk if that will mean anything. i believe my next eval is 2020 but the DAV talked to me about adding secondary conditions or requesting p and t this summer... why did the va make you do labs? is that legal. i have been on and off meds with nothing helping. also did cpt and some emdr with nothing, but emdr i think made my panic attacks worse.

This is the mental health VA criteria...

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:
gross impairment in thought processes or communication;
persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate
behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent
inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance
of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory
loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 100

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas,
such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood,
due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals
which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,
obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting
the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;
impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods
of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and
hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including
work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain
effective relationships 70

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and
productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial,
circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once
a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment
of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned
material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired
abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in
establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships 50

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work
efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational
tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine
behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms
as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or
less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as
forgetting names, directions, recent events) 30

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms
which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational
tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled
by continuous medication 10

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not
severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social
functioning or to require continuous medication0

Yea I have seen that criteria a lot before. Many of my symptons are at the 100% to include the occupation and social. only reason i am able to maintain this job sonfar is the sheltered emplpyment and it. being federal. I remember when they rated me 100 and I was a cop, had me so scared to lose the job, but now I had to leave anyway

I have severe PTSD and was a federal employee as well. I lost it and applied for federal disability (OPM) as well as the stuff on the VA side.

I feel you. I hope it gets better for you and all of us.

Blueline69
I have 100% full total An permanent with the VA. I was discharged with the diagnosis of bipolar an given a 10% rating coming out. It took from 2007 to 2011 to get a VA increase. I had to attend every appointment take labs for med levels. I felt hopeless an lost not knowing which detection to turn. I also felt at any minute my money would be gone! I felt this way because every time they increased my rating I had to do another evaluation! I rocked 100% for two years stressed an worried my final evolution would make me loss my house an life! It was hell! Last Dec. I found out a month after my final review I was finally totally disabled! They do this to see if your getting better or worse! If you get better they help keep you better An you work a job. If your not, then you have to follow the treatment plans. Bipolar is not easy. I have been taken meds for years to find some kinda normal! You stick with it , talk to your Med doctor about your issues an how you feel they will try to help An will state you are not able too work or deal with life issues well. With them in your corner an you keeping up with you claim an medical history, you should be ok. Bi-polar diagnosing is part of PTSD being defined so you can be helped. Out of all that time I struggled my doctor from 2012-now has stuck with me even through relocating. I owe her my life! So don’t overly stress. Breath get your ducks in order an just do what they ask. Keeping appointments and communicating with your primary care is the best thing to show the VA that you need help. I don’t know if this helps but, that’s alittle of my story
I believe you gave some very encouraging information. Very positive!

I’m curious how you lost the federal job?

How d
I have severe PTSD and was a federal employee as well. I lost it and applied for federal disability (OPM) as well as the stuff on the VA side.

I feel you. I hope it gets better for you and all of us.

How did you lose the fed job ?

Blueline69

So once they rated you P&T they don't see signs of getting better as opportunities to re-eval? They encourage you to work? I am wanting to work, I have P&T as well, but worried that if I I work a term job I will be out of work and could lose my benefits at the same time.