VA C&P Hearing Test

Malinois1983

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Question what is the deal or the real skinny - I am not trying to even do this wrong but I am confused at how to take the test.

If I even think I hear a sound do I press the button or do I wait until I know I hear something?

Do I only repeat the words I hear? Do I repeat what I think I hear? Do I guess at gibberish or do I not answer at all.

Im just a little confused at how they score all this. I have an old audiology test and was looking at the VA chart just to see what I would get based of that and its sorta confusing.

I had a VA hearing exam recently and the Dr was pretty good at explaining the procedure with the button and repeating the words. I remember he said that as soon as you hear something you should press and release the button. With the words I just repeated what I heard or thought I heard. I know it can be confusing. Finally the doc said hey you have hearing loss....the Army always blew it off as nothing.

Now Im getting MRI's and eval for hearing aids.

I had a VA hearing exam recently and the Dr was pretty good at explaining the procedure with the button and repeating the words. I remember he said that as soon as you hear something you should press and release the button. With the words I just repeated what I heard or thought I heard. I know it can be confusing. Finally the doc said hey you have hearing loss....the Army always blew it off as nothing.

Now Im getting MRI's and eval for hearing aids.
Thanks appreciate it. I didnt know if it was better to to take a guess at the words rather than just not say anything

My C&P hearing exam was a mess. I pressed the button when I thought I heard the beep and was still pressing the button when it was over. I answered with what I thought she was saying and althought I can't make out what people are saying; I did very well, 100% Lt and 90 something Rt. My wife gets so made at me for not hearing her, she stops talking to me. The DAV rep lectured me and stated before I go back for another exam, I'm appealing for a completely new C&P exam because they messed so much up, I need to come see him for guidance. Now before I left the AF AD, I did overhear a service rep telling people how to scam the system and I refuse to do that but I also feel I've been scammed by the VA. I don't know anymore, I would suggest you ask your service rep and please let us know. Also remember you need to live with yourself.

I have hearing aids for both ears and I was told not to guess at what they are whispering because they will count it as being correct.

My C&P hearing exam was a mess. I pressed the button when I thought I heard the beep and was still pressing the button when it was over. I answered with what I thought she was saying and althought I can't make out what people are saying; I did very well, 100% Lt and 90 something Rt. My wife gets so made at me for not hearing her, she stops talking to me. The DAV rep lectured me and stated before I go back for another exam, I'm appealing for a completely new C&P exam because they messed so much up, I need to come see him for guidance. Now before I left the AF AD, I did overhear a service rep telling people how to scam the system and I refuse to do that but I also feel I've been scammed by the VA. I don't know anymore, I would suggest you ask your service rep and please let us know. Also remember you need to live with yourself.

I have hearing aids for both ears and I was told not to guess at what they are whispering because they will count it as being correct.
sent ya a message thanks!

During my test I was told to press it when I heard the beep (it's pretty hard to tell the difference when you have tinnitus too). With the words, I was told to repeat what I heard or thought I heard. After the tech came in the booth twice to make sure all the cables were actually plugged in she decided I truly couldn't hear. She told me she was surprised at how well I read lips.

I'm 80% SC for my hearing alone.

Yeah the tinnitus can make it difficult to hear the tones or anything else.

In retrospect, I was diagnosed with tinnitus and hearing loss by DoVA too.

But the interesting part is that it's a strong chance (as I am informed) that DoVA will not compensate me for the hearing loss. Why? Because the loss is in the upper frequency spectrum and VA only compensates for lower frequency spectrum hearing loss.

Thus, I can't recall the exact db level range previously mentioned; therefore, we shall see.

Best Wishes!

After having an MRI is was discovered I may have a acoustic neuroma. I need additional MRI w/ contrast to confirm. The Dr said if surgery is needed its considered to be a big surgery and I will still have the hearing loss but its important to observe it to determine if its getting bigger. The problem is its really close to the brain stem and can possibly damage nerves during the surgery.

The battle continues.

After having an MRI is was discovered I may have a acoustic neuroma. I need additional MRI w/ contrast to confirm. The Dr said if surgery is needed its considered to be a big surgery and I will still have the hearing loss but its important to observe it to determine if its getting bigger. The problem is its really close to the brain stem and can possibly damage nerves during the surgery.

The battle continues.

Wow! I pray that surgery is not required; especially in your case.

Best Wishes!

Let you know, I'm being meb for my hearing. Was hit by an Ied and it blew out my ear drums and the bones that connect my inner ear. I have had one surgery out of 4. Ill never let the military touch my ears again. Worst pain I have ever been through. They messed up and I had to go under the knife again right away. I have severe hearing loss. Mine are rare because they are low pitch hearing loss. I have hearing aids but they are for high pitch. They don't make hearing aids for low pitch. I'm only 24 is could be deaf by 40. Just giving you some experience what I went through. Not trying to scare you but ear surgery can be serious. Not to mention balance issues and ear aches. Just a little insight.

Let you know, I'm being meb for my hearing. Was hit by an Ied and it blew out my ear drums and the bones that connect my inner ear. I have had one surgery out of 4. Ill never let the military touch my ears again. Worst pain I have ever been through. They messed up and I had to go under the knife again right away. I have severe hearing loss. Mine are rare because they are low pitch hearing loss. I have hearing aids but they are for high pitch. They don't make hearing aids for low pitch. I'm only 24 is could be deaf by 40. Just giving you some experience what I went through. Not trying to scare you but ear surgery can be serious. Not to mention balance issues and ear aches. Just a little insight.

Wow! I am totally speechless... :(

Thus, truly appreciate you sharing your symptomology due to a traumatic combat experience.

Best Wishes!

Wow man, I'm sorry to hear that. I had my hearing C&P exam last week. I asked him what the results were, he said "not good, especially your left ear." I too have heard the VA doesn't rate for hearing loss all that much. Unless of course in your case.

Cheers!

Wow man, I'm sorry to hear that. I had my hearing C&P exam last week. I asked him what the results were, he said "not good, especially your left ear." I too have heard the VA doesn't rate for hearing loss all that much. Unless of course in your case.

Cheers!

Seems, we all are brothers absent of missing decibel audible tone. :(

Best Wishes!

Acoustic Neuroma confirmed. Will have it removed this summer I think. The Dr. said he will take care of me and will not let the VA touch me. Made me feel somewhat better.

Acoustic Neuroma confirmed. Will have it removed this summer I think. The Dr. said he will take care of me and will not let the VA touch me. Made me feel somewhat better.

It's good to hear that your physician says he shall basically "do the right thing" in reference to your confirmed Acoustic Neuroma medical diagnosis.

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!

Hope it's a cilivailian doctor not the military. I rather trust va, bc of they think they can't handle it you can just get referred.

Question what is the deal or the real skinny - I am not trying to even do this wrong but I am confused at how to take the test.

If I even think I hear a sound do I press the button or do I wait until I know I hear something?

Do I only repeat the words I hear? Do I repeat what I think I hear? Do I guess at gibberish or do I not answer at all.

Im just a little confused at how they score all this. I have an old audiology test and was looking at the VA chart just to see what I would get based of that and its sorta confusing.
I would not push unless you are certain; but I have tinnitus and its often hard for me to tell if I am really hearing something or its just the standard ringing sounds. If you guess at gibberish and get it right, it won't be an accurate reflection of your hearing. Instead you've measured your ability at guessing.

I would not push unless you are certain; but I have tinnitus and its often hard for me to tell if I am really hearing something or its just the standard ringing sounds. If you guess at gibberish and get it right, it won't be an accurate reflection of your hearing. Instead you've measured your ability at guessing.

In my opinion, this is a valid point of interest...

Moreover, I too have bilateral tinnitus determined as a service-connected compensable disability by the DoVA D-RAS, but received proposed IDES not service connected for "hearing loss with otosclerosis" due to "hearing normal for VA purposes" as stated by the DoVA D-RAS.

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!