VA caregiver program

wtuwife

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My husband was offically retired Jan 10th of this year, since the we have applied for and been granted crsc, 80% va rating, ssd, and I was just approved for the VA family caregiver program. I have walked my husband through everything to make sure no one else is in control of our lives or finances. (He is a stay at home at dad now, and I still work full time) We are currently waiting on approval for the individual unemployability claim and I will update on this once it is received. If anyone wants any help with where to start or forms I would be more than willing to give advice and so forth just to help.

My husband was offically retired Jan 10th of this year, since the we have applied for and been granted crsc, 80% va rating, ssd, and I was just approved for the VA family caregiver program. I have walked my husband through everything to make sure no one else is in control of our lives or finances. (He is a stay at home at dad now, and I still work full time) We are currently waiting on approval for the individual unemployability claim and I will update on this once it is received. If anyone wants any help with where to start or forms I would be more than willing to give advice and so forth just to help.
I myself just got started with the caregiver stuff. So far I am already pissed that I basically have to go through a med board again from the way they explained it to her over the phone. Any advise for us going through the steps?

The program actually has a 45 day turn around on getting paid with the stipend. After I submitted the application a lady from our local VA called and I basically went over everything I do for my husband (he is rated 70% for ptsd and 10% for his ears)... let her know that I have to give him meds daily, keep track of his appointments, cook, clean, and grocery shop for him (these may seem like "normal" things a wife does but the VA doesn't see it that way, they see it as needing assistance if he can't do it himself) I keep sticky notes every where for him to remind him of things, ect... After that initail phone call they will send your caregiver a packet from Easter seals, its a 20 question test, I didnt even read the book the questions are basically general knowledge. I then emailed the answer back to Easter seals and had the in home visit the next day, she explained to us that she will come about every 3 months just to make sure the veteran doesn't need any thing and that the home is kept "clean and usable."

I would recommend letting your caregiver talk to the lady at the VA, she will want to know everything that you need assistance with in daily living (there is not documentation of anything required)

The program actually has a 45 day turn around on getting paid with the stipend. After I submitted the application a lady from our local VA called and I basically went over everything I do for my husband (he is rated 70% for ptsd and 10% for his ears)... let her know that I have to give him meds daily, keep track of his appointments, cook, clean, and grocery shop for him (these may seem like "normal" things a wife does but the VA doesn't see it that way, they see it as needing assistance if he can't do it himself) I keep sticky notes every where for him to remind him of things, ect... After that initail phone call they will send your caregiver a packet from Easter seals, its a 20 question test, I didnt even read the book the questions are basically general knowledge. I then emailed the answer back to Easter seals and had the in home visit the next day, she explained to us that she will come about every 3 months just to make sure the veteran doesn't need any thing and that the home is kept "clean and usable."
Hmm they told us something completely different.
I have to go see an occupational therapist to verify I have these conditions that I have, then I have to appear before a local VA board, then I get an in home visit, THEN they will decide to approve or deny. I am already going off the assumption now that being we will be going through a totally different process than you did, I am already being denied and they are just going through the steps... Great now I have to fight SSDI and the VA. I hate this crap... I have PROVEN injuries and still no one believes that they exist... I hate my life...

By chance were you receiving SCAADL before your husbands retirement? I'm wondering if it is easier to transition to VA caregiver if you are already receiving SCAADL. Since they are the same basic programs, just one for active duty, the other fir VA.

Yes you automatically transfer over if you are receiving SCAADL. You actually get SCAADL three extra months after your separation date. I was told this by the Caregiver manager at my local VA medical center.

I have to go see an occupational therapist to verify I have these conditions that I have, then I have to appear before a local VA board, then I get an in home visit, THEN they will decide to approve or deny. I am already going off the assumption now that being we will be going through a totally different process than you did, I am already being denied and they are just going through the steps... Great now I have to fight SSDI and the VA. I hate this crap... I have PROVEN injuries and still no one believes that they exist... I hate my life...

Negative, you can get you Primary Care Doctor to fill out the form that list the severity of what daily activities you arent able to do or need assistance, you dont appear through a local board! Your disabilities and the form your doctor feels out is what determines approve or deny

Yes a nurse comes to your home to make sure your are living in a safe and stable environment

http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/10-10CG.pdf

There is no fight when it comes to the VA caregiver program, its very simple and quick turnaround if you qualify! If you need the help trust the VA

Negative, you can get you Primary Care Doctor to fill out the form that list the severity of what daily activities you arent able to do or need assistance, you dont appear through a local board! Your disabilities and the form your doctor feels out is what determines approve or deny

Yes a nurse comes to your home to make sure your are living in a safe and stable environment

http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/10-10CG.pdf
Actually yes I even contacted the DAV rep here in Kansas City and he even verified that we DO have to appear before a medical board here at this VA hospital, he just went through the same thing. My PCM has nothing to do the process here. So far everything is different here than the rest of the US.

Actually yes I even contacted the DAV rep here in Kansas City and he even verified that we DO have to appear before a medical board here at this VA hospital, he just went through the same thing. My PCM has nothing to do the process here. So far everything is different here than the rest of the US.
I would get a second opinion if I was you

I would get a second opinion if I was you
American Legion guys said the same thing, that it is how they do it here. So now I have to sit here and wait for this to roll forward. 15 days in this process, another ??? days to go... I'll keep posting as it goes. My appointment with Occupational Therapy is in 2 weeks, then I'll find out about attending this board thing after that.

Have you looked at this website? http://www.caregiver.va.gov
If not, then I would because it has a lot of answers about the caregiver program. Also, there is a number to call so you can get the fact straight. Hope this helps!

Yep I have been to the site. Still revisiting it due to it beong focused more for the caregiver than the vet.

Yep I have been to the site. Still revisiting it due to it beong focused more for the caregiver than the vet.
Have you contacted the VA Caregiver Coordinator at you local VA hospital? Or if you have, contact a coordinator at a different VAMC and see if they back up what the one at you VAMC told you!

I just don't understand how one VAMC does things differently than any other!
But I guess it's possible

Your OIF/OEF Coordinator will contact the VA Caregiver Coordinator. The VA CC will call and talk to you, send you the questions, and arrange for a home visit. As others have said, it is very simple. They will lean in your favor because of your high rating. Your spouse can also continue to work and be your caregiver.

It sounds to me like the people in your area assigned to help you are all smoking the same dope. Call the regional office, or visit a regional OIF Coordinator. You can get this.

Yea my process was pretty simple and smooth

Actually the VA coordinator and the SFAC at my WTB got my PCM to complete the medical part of it before I left for terminal leave and sent it to the Caregiver Coordinator at the VAMC I was gonna be seen at!

Then once I was off terminal leave and officially at veteran I got the http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/10-10CG.pdf filled out and they sent my caregiver the info for the online class and once she completed it a nurse came to my home, asked a few ???s, made sure my home was safe and stable and them my caregiver got the first check the following month

The monthly stipend depends on how many hours a caregiver is needed

Have you contacted the VA Caregiver Coordinator at you local VA hospital? Or if you have, contact a coordinator at a different VAMC and see if they back up what the one at you VAMC told you!

I just don't understand how one VAMC does things differently than any other!
But I guess it's possible
It's actually the Caregiver Coordinator for my area that gave us this info, the only other ones I can contact are +150 miles away.