VA caregiver program

It's actually the Caregiver Coordinator for my area that gave us this info, the only other ones I can contact are +150 miles away.

I don't know, a grand or so a month my be worth +150 to me......Just sayin :)

I can barely afford to drive 150 miles in a month, let alone drive somewhere else right now. I'll just take my chances staying here. Something that I have to deal with at this point.

I can barely afford to drive 150 miles in a month, let alone drive somewhere else right now. I'll just take my chances staying here. Something that I have to deal with at this point.
Very stubborn guy!!!

Why not have a garage sale and get rid of some junk, eat ramon for a few days, or sell a kidney even :) . $1000 a month possible by spending $100 on gas is something I would take all day long. There is also this really cool thing created a little over a hundred years ago called a phone. If you go to this website

http://www.caregiver.va.gov/help_re...tude=-121.696744&SEARCH_CRITERIA=2&country=us

And punch in your zip, it will not only give you your caregiver coordinator, but all the others as well. Just sayin :) :) :)

Can I apply for Family care givers program with proposed rating ? or Do I have to wait for Final award letter.

Can I apply for Family care givers program with proposed rating ? or Do I have to wait for Final award letter.
You can apply now, you don't have to wait until you get out. As long as your spouse or family member helps take care of your daily living needs, you may fall under tier 3 while still on AD. But, still that's and extra $1600.

Why not have a garage sale and get rid of some junk, eat ramon for a few days, or sell a kidney even :) . $1000 a month possible by spending $100 on gas is something I would take all day long. There is also this really cool thing created a little over a hundred years ago called a phone. If you go to this website

http://www.caregiver.va.gov/help_re...tude=-121.696744&SEARCH_CRITERIA=2&country=us

And punch in your zip, it will not only give you your caregiver coordinator, but all the others as well. Just sayin :) :) :)
Not stubborn, just broke (money wise) and mentally drained taking care of my dad in the hospital, plus I just had my foot surgery a few weeks ago. It's been a VERY rough week... This caregiver thing right now is more of an annoyance than anything else right now, I kinda am throwing it on the back burner at the moment.

Not stubborn, just broke (money wise) and mentally drained taking care of my dad in the hospital, plus I just had my foot surgery a few weeks ago. It's been a VERY rough week... This caregiver thing right now is more of an annoyance than anything else right now, I kinda am throwing it on the back burner at the moment.

I will beat you into submission Grizz :) Point one, you say you're broke. Hmmmm caregiver program = Extra money. Point two, you just had surgery. Pretty sure your wife is taking care of you. Why not let her get paid. Point three, mentally drained. Nothing better than getting something you earned and going out to dinner to celebrate your victory :)

Use the page I linked and start calling people. I am pretty sure you are getting bad information, or maybe misunderstanding the process. This is worth doing to take care of you and your family. They will send somebody out, see your situation and help you.

I will beat you into submission Grizz :) Point one, you say you're broke. Hmmmm caregiver program = Extra money. Point two, you just had surgery. Pretty sure your wife is taking care of you. Why not let her get paid. Point three, mentally drained. Nothing better than getting something you earned and going out to dinner to celebrate your victory :)

Use the page I linked and start calling people. I am pretty sure you are getting bad information, or maybe misunderstanding the process. This is worth doing to take care of you and your family. They will send somebody out, see your situation and help you.
YESSIR!!! LOL, I will check on it tomorrow if I get any free time.

Yes!! Get in contact with a VA coordinator at the base your located at and see if they can assist you!

Myself I had to wait till I was off terminal leave in order to finish the process but was able to get the process started while on leave!

But if you know what VAMC you will be attending contact the Family Caregiver coordinator and he/she can give you a accurate answer

LOL!!! :D I'll be sure to bring that rubber spoon...

Is the caregiver stipend amount the same across all states or is there a calculation for it? I hope that made sense.

Is the caregiver stipend amount the same across all states or is there a calculation for it? I hope that made sense.
I believe its based off CNA pay in you local city, but it also depends on what tier level you fall under(which is based on amount of weekly hours you would need assistance)

Question to ponder, "Can VA Caregiver benefits be taken away without due process of law?" The VA is sending notices either taking away or reducing benefits without so much as a physical examination. I'm 100% P&T SMC with Aid & Attendance and ours has been reduced by 75% immediately although we can appeal. Not to sure how it goes with VA appeals now a days. They told me my claim was supposed to be completed within 120 days and I received benefits 3.5 years later.

Question to ponder, "Can VA Caregiver benefits be taken away without due process of law?" The VA is sending notices either taking away or reducing benefits without so much as a physical examination. I'm 100% P&T SMC with Aid & Attendance and ours has been reduced by 75% immediately although we can appeal. Not to sure how it goes with VA appeals now a days. They told me my claim was supposed to be completed within 120 days and I received benefits 3.5 years later.
Have they told you what you what condition was reduced?

Have they told you what you what condition was reduced?
NO, it was a standard form letter saying we were reduced from Caregiver TierLevel 3 to 1, reducing our monthly stipend by $1,500/mo. I'm pending amputation.

That seems crazy that they would just cut the benefit with no review process.

Diagnoses/ratings totaling 420%:
Short term memory loss; depression; anxiety; palsy of peroneal and saphenous nerves; gout ; degenerative joint disease c-spine, left hand, as well as bilateral feet; compartment syndrome left leg, Meniere's disease with vertigo, tinnitus, and hearing loss; pleural effusions, TBI, residuals of 8 pulmonary embolisms, restrictive lung disease, loss of use of an extremity (lower left leg and arms--qualifying for Special Adaptive Housing Grant and automobile allowance with additional benefits for Aid & Attendance--MAY 2013 by RO--unknown), radiculopathy bilateral upper extremities, Diabetes Type 2, 3-5cm lung lesions analogous rating for sciatica with resultant loss of use of leg little movement below the knee, marked atrophy, and asthma, oxygen dependent. Pending amputation.

The letter said there was a behind the scenes review process through a records review, but it did not include an examination to identify my needs for ongoing Caregiver support. They will now be paying my spouse for 10/hrs week vs 40, when she really puts in about 80. I haven't even had a physical exam since entering the VA system 3 years ago.

The VA and I haven't been getting along here very well lately and this looks like a little payback:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19809102/2012/10/12/houston-vet-shocked-at-vas-threat

Last edited: