Va Check instead of Retirement Pay

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The following does not change anything stated in the preceding posts. Those posts reminded me of a post I made on another site 1.5 years ago.
—-
eBenefits is a pirate system in that it takes information from other systems which in turn, causes the results one sees on eBenefits.
No one is directly making input to eBenefits.

The following is how eBenefits defines the "completion of claim" information:

"The time it takes to complete your claim depends on factors like the type of claim and the type of disability claimed.

The estimated dates are based on a statistical analysis of historical processing times for similar claims. Some things you should know:

--Historical data may not accurately predict current conditions. Your claim may take longer.
--Dates may change as the statistical analysis is updated.
--Some claims will take longer than the range of dates given as they are based on an average.
--Submitting the supporting documentation that has been requested quickly and electronically is the surest way to get your claim decided as quickly as possible."

----
From a related post:
The following is an excerpt from a January 2016 post by a former senior VA employee (including duties as a DRO) and accredited VSO:

"The guys and gals at the VARO don't pay any attention to it [eBenefits]. Sometimes these 'steps' that are shown in ebenefits are really just one step. For example the RVSR reviews the evidence and makes the decision all at the same time."

I think this is valuable information, particularly if one does not see movement between the various steps or stages.

__
Summary

1. Evidently, the estimated completion of claim date is not based on the work already completed on one's claim; it is an estimated date based on a statistical analysis of historical processing times for similar claims.

2. The VSR and the RVSR are not monitoring eBenefits and do not periodically pull up one's account to update certain data solely for ensuring the accuracy of eBenefits.

Ron

Orange Sky

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks, Ron. Interestingly, I received a RAS reflecting an offset of $26. Any idea what this means?

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks, Ron. Interestingly, I received a RAS reflecting an offset of $26. Any idea what this means?
There is zero info in this thread that provides a clue, at least from my viewpoint.

I would be interested in what you learn is the cause.

Ron

flyin_dutchman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks Ron. It’ll get straightened out once I learn math and I start receiving my VA pay. Surprised retired pay hit first before VA based on what I’ve read from others.
Orange Sky - What was you retirement date and how long was it when you received your first RAS (retirement check)? My retirement date was 1 April 19, so I thought I'd get paid 1 June, but here it is 1 June and I got ZERO money nor correspondence? I think my stuff is all really Dorked up being a reservist who was eligible and approved for an Active Duty 20 yr Regular Retirement. Ugh! :-(
BTW - In MyPay, the headline says Reserve (Separated) but I went and got my blue retired ID, the SSgt said "I show retired in the system".

Last edited:

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Orange Sky - What was you retirement date and how long was it when you received your first RAS (retirement check)? My retirement date was 1 April 19, so I thought I'd get paid 1 June, but here it is 1 June and I got ZERO money nor correspondence? I think my stuff is all really Dorked up being a reservist who was eligible and approved for an Active Duty 20 yr Regular Retirement. Ugh! :-(
BTW - In MyPay, the headline says Reserve (Separated) but I went and got my blue retired ID, the SSgt said "I show retired in the system".
General.

Not every military retiree receives retired pay from DFAS; this primarily pertains to CH 61 retirees. However, a CH 61 retiree who also qualifies for another type retirement such as AD/Regular could qualify for CRDP which restores waived retired pay not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay. A reserve retirement also has an age requirement. A VA rating of =>50% is also required.

A CH 61 retiree (non-CRDP qualified) will have their gross retired pay reduced by the amount of VA compensation. Those with a VA rating of 100% receive as a minimum of ~ 3000 a month in VA compensation. Often, that leaves zero residual retired pay.

The DFAS RAS for 1-31 May 2019 should be available at MyPay now.

From our conversation in April:
When you accept VA compensation, you are agreeing to having your retired pay reduced (waived) by the amount of the VA compensation.

Any left over retired pay is kept by the retiree (plus receipt of the VA compensation). I cannot understand why anyone would just choose retired pay and decline VA compensation.
—-
The VA claim form will have info similar to the following:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON MILITARY RETIRED PAY (Includes all Uniformed Services Retired Pay):
Submission of this application constitutes a waiver of military retired pay in an amount equal to VA compensation awarded, if you are entitled to both benefits. Your retired pay may be reduced by the amount of VA compensation awarded. Receipt of the full amount of military retired pay and VA compensation at the same time may result in an overpayment, which may be subject to collection. If you qualify for concurrent receipt of VA compensation and military retired pay, the waiver of retired pay will not apply. If you do not want to waive any retired pay to receive VA compensation, you should check the box in Item 26. Note that if you check the box in Item 26, you will not receive VA compensation, if granted. If you are currently in receipt of VA compensation and you check the box in Item 26, your VA compensation will be terminated, if you are also eligible for military retired pay.
IMPORTANT: VA COMPENSATION PAY IS NON-TAXABLE. THEREFORE, VA COMPENSATION PAY MAY BE THE GREATER BENEFIT.

26. Do NOT pay me VA compensation. I do NOT want to receive VA compensation in lieu of retired pay.
[Do NOT check this box...my opinion]

Edited to add:
This is one version of the VA claim form; I did not search to determine if it is the most recent. VA Claim Form <— LINK

-----
Note: If you also qualify for a reserve retirement, CRDP would not be payable until you meet the age requirement for reserve retirement.
I just saw this from you: "I think my stuff is all really Dorked up being a reservist who was eligible and approved for an Active Duty 20 yr Regular Retirement. Ugh! :-( " I agree.
Recommend you contact DFAS. I would also review my retirement orders and ensure they clearly show you were a reservist who qualified for an active duty retirement (I not not sure of the phrase that would be used.

Good luck,

Ron

Last edited:

Orange Sky

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Mine was about 3 months from what I recall. I got my VA pay first.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">