VA claim for loss of smell

justincase876

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hello,
I am going through a va claim right now and I have the loss of my sense of smell on it, but the va said there are no tests to do for it. Wondering if this doctor just didn't know what he was talking about. Does anyone know of testing to get a rating? Thanks

Hello,
I am going through a va claim right now and I have the loss of my sense of smell on it, but the va said there are no tests to do for it. Wondering if this doctor just didn't know what he was talking about. Does anyone know of testing to get a rating? Thanks

Never heard of that. Is there a underlying issue for the reason? Then that issue maybe can be rated.

Loss of smell and/or taste are one of the symptoms of TBI.

8045 Residuals of traumatic brain injury (TBI):

~snip~

Evaluate physical (including neurological) dysfunction based on the following list, under an appropriate diagnostic code: Motor and sensory dysfunction, including pain, of the extremities and face; visual impairment; hearing loss and tinnitus; loss of sense of smell and taste; seizures; gait, coordination, and balance problems; speech and other communication difficulties, including aphasia and related disorders, and dysarthria; neurogenic bladder; neurogenic bowel; cranial nerve dysfunctions; autonomic nerve dysfunctions; and endocrine dysfunctions.

Draco

PtDraco,

There are tests for sense of smell as well as taste, and they should be done when a TBI or a neurologic exam is done. When I did C&P exams, I used sugar and salt for taste and isopropyl alcohol, coffee and scented soap for smell. Here is the worksheet for it: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm51.pdf

There was an article in the Journal, Brain Injury, last year that dealt with this. Please look at these links.

Informa Healthcare - Brain Injury - 24(1):27 - Summary

Traumatic brain injury causes loss of smell and taste

Doc W

docforvets.com