VA claim open and closed at the same time?

cefed185

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
This forum has been a wealth of information for me, and is definitely a resource that I will be recommending to anyone else going through the IDES process. Thanks to everyone for posting such great questions and answers.

I've been trying to avoid obsessing over the VA status, but I noticed something that confused me. The VA sent me an email this afternoon stating that my direct deposit info had been updated. I logged on to check out the direct deposit stuff(found out that all of that info is over on eBennies), and decided to take a peak to my claim while I was at it. The site currently has the claim showing Closed, but the same claim is still in Evidence Gathering. Has anyone else seen something like this, or is it just the site being quirky as usual?

General timeline: (I don't have the full timeline in front of me, so the dates are best guesses. I'll post an update when I get the accurate timeline)
Sep 18 IRILO notification
Oct 18 Commander's Impact Statement signed
Nov 18 PEBLO brief
Dec 18 MSC brief, VA C&P scheduled
Jan 19 VA C&P appointments
At some point between January and April my MEB concluded, I signed my 618, and my package was sent to AFPC but kicked back for errors.
3 May 19 AFPC accepts package
13 May 19 Email from the VA and change in status

This is what happens.....when you initially filed your claim for the first time that date shows on VA.gov with all your claims, however, when you complete your C&P exams, NARSUM and IPEB, you will notice that a few claims were either added or dropped at the discretion of your examiner based on your exams and/or medical records. When PEB sends your new claims to VA, a new date for that new claim will be created. Usually, when the VA is done rating your new claims, that's the one that closes and your first initial claims will still be open either on review or gathering of evidence (because those claims were not rated due to the facts that either some claims were added or removed in your new claim). I hope this makes sense.

Bottom line: Don't worry about it. Your case is closed. You can also call the VA hotline to confirm your status.

This forum has been a wealth of information for me, and is definitely a resource that I will be recommending to anyone else going through the IDES process. Thanks to everyone for posting such great questions and answers.

I've been trying to avoid obsessing over the VA status, but I noticed something that confused me. The VA sent me an email this afternoon stating that my direct deposit info had been updated. I logged on to check out the direct deposit stuff(found out that all of that info is over on eBennies), and decided to take a peak to my claim while I was at it. The site currently has the claim showing Closed, but the same claim is still in Evidence Gathering. Has anyone else seen something like this, or is it just the site being quirky as usual?

General timeline: (I don't have the full timeline in front of me, so the dates are best guesses. I'll post an update when I get the accurate timeline)
Sep 18 IRILO notification
Nov 18 PEBLO brief
Dec 18 MSC brief, VA C&P scheduled
Jan 19 VA C&P appointments
At some point between January and April my MEB concluded, I signed my 618, and my package was sent to AFPC but kicked back for errors.
3 May 19 AFPC accepts package
13 May 19 Email from the VA and change in status

This is what happens.....when you initially filed your claim for the first time that date shows on VA.gov with all your claims, however, when you complete your C&P exams, NARSUM and IPEB, you will notice that a few claims were either added or dropped at the discretion of your examiner based on your exams and/or medical records. When PEB sends your new claims to VA, a new date for that new claim will be created. Usually, when the VA is done rating your new claims, that's the one that closes and your first initial claims will still be open either on review or gathering of evidence (because those claims were not rated due to the facts that either some claims were added or removed in your new claim). I hope this makes sense.

Bottom line: Don't worry about it. Your case is closed. You can also call the VA hotline to confirm your status.

Here is my updated timeline. It's going to differ a bit from the timeline in the OP because I was going off memory for the first one.

Jun 18 Met with PCM to develop NARSUM
Jun 18 IRILO notification (earlier that I originally thought, but email traffic verifies Jun)
Sep 18 Code 37/referred to DAWG
Nov 18 Initial PEBLO brief
Dec 18 Briefed by MSC and started working on getting VA C&P appointments scheduled
16-17 Jan 19 VA appointments
23 Mar 19 AF618 signed, referred to IPEB
3 May 19 MyPers notification that package was received at AFPC
14 May Notified that results are back from the PEB, unable to get briefed due to geographic seperation
20 May 19 Recommended for retirement, signed AF1180 the same day
21 May 19 Set 30 Sep 19 as my retirement date
22 May 19 Signed Med Hold paperwork due to the proximity of my DOS

I was told to expect orders anywhere from two weeks to one month from when I signed the AF1180, so I'm just waiting on the email now.

How did you set a retirement date? With what office?

Generally the personnel folks meet with you to discuss a retirement date. This usually takes place about a month after you sign with the PEBLO to accept the IPEB results. I would not make any money commitments without retirement orders in hand.

Generally the personnel folks meet with you to discuss a retirement date. This usually takes place about a month after you sign with the PEBLO to accept the IPEB results. I would not make any money commitments without retirement orders in hand.

Thank you for that info. When I spoke with my PEBLO, he made it sound like I would just get a notification that my orders are cut and that i could start out processing.

That throws what I thought was my timeline right out of the window, but I should remember that the wheels turn at their own pace.

You will meet with personnelist. They will discuss PTDY, sale or use of accumulated leave, number of days of leave that will be accumulated while on leave if you choose that option, last day of duty, last day on AD, outprocessing....