VA Closed then Open again

fwak1234

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Has anybody else come across your VA claim closing with a letter sent out and then an exact duplicate opening? My MEB claim closed 27SEP2019 and then an identical duplicate (conditions wise) opened 25SEP2019. Does this mean I get to wait even longer for the VA as my C&P exams finished 26JUN2019. Anybody who has any knowledge on this and can shine some light on the situation would be much appreciated.

Navy757

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
It happened to my case and there are other threads on here about it. From what I remember from the discussion was something about the VA needed to do that to finalize the proposed ratings. That is what happened to my case. I recieved my propose ratings shortly after ward.

On a separate note proposed ratings are just that, and you receive your finalized ratings from the VA after you been discharged or retired. Again from other post on here the timeline for finalized VA ratings is approximately 1 to 2 months after seperation, I was lucky enough to be one of the few I seen get my finalized VA ratings in under a month.

Hope that helps and good luck.

fwak1234

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks for the help. I was guessing the closed it when I saw what appears to be a 3 month backpay check hit my account which would be about on par for 90 to 100 increase.

fwak1234

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Just spoke with someone at the VA (45 minute hold go figure). Initial claim for my MEB opened 29May2019 and closed 27Sep2019. A new claim opened up for initial review on 25Sep2019 with the same medical issues in the claim. The VA Rep I spoke with said that there was new evidence from the PEB. Just curious if that is normal or do I get to wait for the VA for another 60 days?

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes, one case is to close your ratings and further the process, the other case stays open until you separate as service members can not be disabled until day 1 of being separated.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">