VA Compensation on TDRL

griswold73

PEB Forum Regular Member
I was recently placed on the TDRL with a 30% rating for Bi-polar, Sleep Apnea with CPAP, and CVA. I am getting the 50% pay because I only have 17 yrs in. I am just begining my journey through the VA and wondering how this all works with the money side of it all.

in my opinion it seems like your rating was low. just w/the sleep apnea and CPAP you should be around 50%.

if i was you i would get a veteran's service officer (VSO) and start working on your rating. even the VA has local veteran's center's that you can work w/a counselor that can point you in the right direction.

i have used the VFW and DAV in the past. but i've been doing alot of stuff, through my local vet's center.

are you in any kind of treatment for the bi-polar disorder? if not go and stay in treatment. and w/the CPAP keep using it. any VSO will tell you that those 2 things will impact justification for appealing for an increase. i go once a week to my counselor @ the vet's center, on top of going to VA.

the big thing is just educating yourself on the whole system and fight and appeal and don't give up. good luck!

Hey Robs, and whoever else reads this.....

I think I'm just gonna piggyback on this thread because it has to do with VA..I also need your help.

For some reason, out here in Colorado the VA wouldn't help me 'til I was out and I had my DD214's.

Well, So now as you know, I'm finally on TDRL, I finally have my DD214's and I finally have the strength to go back to the VA with my paperwork.

So I went today and I was going to have them help me fill out some of the paperwork-I get very irritated-very quickly these days. I think its been the stress of it all. Well I went in today-and they were closed for the holidays :rolleyes:. Federal Service-how soon I forget.

I will go back on Monday-well, that's my goal.

What should I expect???

What is it that the VA is going to do for me? so sad, I've been reading all the threads about backpain. :cool: Missed the VA ones.

I never did get the physical at the end of service -like a lot of people mention getting:confused:...The NARSUM was written, I came back to Colorado, MEB/PEB was done and I was put on TDRL. Never a physical.

I think for me---I want a physical just so we can start documenting what my condition is....I also need to find out why my thigh keeps withering away...its not like atrophy...well maybe. But its wierd.

So, why do we go to the VA to begin with? Is it to get the physical and the evaluation so we have a "proper rating". Then there may be additional school benefits, etc. Is that right?

What do I need to know? Should I be asking for something specific?

Thank you.

chinook,

i mention the vet's center alot here, because i've had good luck w/them. they helped line my VA medical stuff, fast. they do more then just your typical "PTSD-type" counseling. w/me they been kind of like a guidance counselor :).
why i like the reps. are: they help you w/the appeal process.
the other thing to keep in mind is that w/the vet's center, DAV, VFW or any of the other places, alot of the reps. know alot of the right people @ the VA. one rep. i know used to work for the VA, retire after 20yrs. and now works for another agancy. and it's one of those things too, if you don't think your rep. or their agancy isn't doing much for you, move on to another one. it's one of those things that can't hurt to try.

what's your zip? i'll help you track down a rep..

Robs, You are so right about networking-I didn't think about that...they all do know eachother.

My zip is 80926.

Thanks a million. I'm going back in Monday. Just crazy ya know. A lot of steps and just more unknown. But, thank you my friend because I know you know about this stuff and can help me through....I'm ready:cool:

in my opinion it seems like your rating was low. just w/the sleep apnea and CPAP you should be around 50%.

if i was you i would get a veteran's service officer (VSO) and start working on your rating. even the VA has local veteran's center's that you can work w/a counselor that can point you in the right direction.

i have used the VFW and DAV in the past. but i've been doing alot of stuff, through my local vet's center.

are you in any kind of treatment for the bi-polar disorder? if not go and stay in treatment. and w/the CPAP keep using it. any VSO will tell you that those 2 things will impact justification for appealing for an increase. i go once a week to my counselor @ the vet's center, on top of going to VA.

the big thing is just educating yourself on the whole system and fight and appeal and don't give up. good luck!

The conditions that the USAF listed on my MEB were sleep apnea, CVA, and Bi-polar. the bi-polar is the only one they had a percentage against.

I had my VA medical appointment already this week and have my mental health evaluation on the 15th. Right after my appt I went to the VFW office to get them involved. I also plan on visiting the local DAV office too.

I have been seen since mid 2002 for depression and that was changed to bi-polar in mid 2007. I haven't found a doc yet since I moved back here to alaska and I haven't been able to catch the councilor at the vet center yet.

You don't have to worry about me not using the CPAP cuz my wife gets on me every time i try to fall asleep without it....lol

I sure wish I would have found this website when I found out that I was being boarded because this is by far the best source of information I have come across!

I will defiantely be visiting often to update what has been going on.

One other question....what is the deal with recieving retirement pay from the military and VA compensation? I have read about it on the VA site and here but still don't quite understand it.

Unless you were retired on longetivity and over 50 percent disabled or your disabilities are combat related (whether it is disability retirement or 20 plus year tretirement) the law states you cannont recieve retired pay and disability compensation. Therefore they withhold one or the other. Most of the time (its up to you) they withold your retirement pay as VA compensation is not taxable and therefore more advantageous to you.

If you record does not show you were prescribed a CPAP than you won't get the 50. Just submit proof you are on a CPAP and you will be a 50. Hope this helps.

The one thing I forgot to add in my original post was that I have one problem that hadn't been diagnosed. Any time I would physically exert myself I would start to shake about 30 minutes after. This was addressed in my MEB as the CVA. I just had an appointment with the neurologist here at Elmendorf and he has diagnosed it as paroxysmal exertion induced dyskinesia. Is this something that will affect my status when my re-eval comes up? Should I also take this to the VA?

Unless you were retired on longetivity and over 50 percent disabled or your disabilities are combat related (whether it is disability retirement or 20 plus year tretirement) the law states you cannont recieve retired pay and disability compensation. Therefore they withhold one or the other. Most of the time (its up to you) they withold your retirement pay as VA compensation is not taxable and therefore more advantageous to you.

If you record does not show you were prescribed a CPAP than you won't get the 50. Just submit proof you are on a CPAP and you will be a 50. Hope this helps.

Okay, I am hijacking the thread and hoping not to derail it with my question...

DH is retired due to combat related disability. He had 14.5 years active duty at the time they put him on TDRL.

If I read this correctly, he should be getting both the VA *and* his military pay?

While I understand that you cannot receive both the VA and military pay, I was under the impression that he should be receiving both because of the nature of his injuries and that he's on TDRL.

I am just trying to get to the bottom of this. Can anyone help me?

This link may be helpful. It is from DFAS, which is responsible for coordinating these pay issues.

DM
www.dfas.mil/retiredpay/combat-relatedspecialcompensationcrsc.html

Thanks for that link. I already called DFAS to no avail. They don't even have a record of the Retiree Account Statement that is in my hand. Theirs shows two on file for last month and neither have the same info as what I have in front of me. Ugh.

I found a Wounded Warrior Pay Office link and called. No one is in the office and we have to leave a message. I will keep trying.

Anyway...thanks!

i have a odd condition know as physically induced anaplaxisis im about to do my narsum.. im so worried about percentages..