VA Disability Award Letter? Payment question!

catherinemedboard

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So i medically retired 22Jun17 and I did not receive my check for the first of july which was expected. However, when I called the VA to see when I will start getting paid, they did say i have to wait for my Disability award letter to come in the mail. Then i can submit that to the registration office. I didn't upload my 214 to Ebenefits because my VA rep told me all I had to to was give him the copy when i got it which i did the day i received it. Am i missing something here? Also the Va said my claim was not closed out yet which i thought would happen as soon as i was discharged?

No, it can take up to 60 days for the VA to finalize your proposed claim.

Your VA pay will begin on the first of the month following the date that you receive your DD-214. VA pays you at the end of the month. You should expect to be paid on Aug 1st for the month of July. If you do not get paid on Aug 1st, then you will get paid on Sep 1st for the months of Jul and Aug.

So will i still have to get that award letter to get paid? And why is my claim still open?

No, it can take up to 60 days for the VA to finalize your proposed claim.

Your VA pay will begin on the first of the month following the date that you receive your DD-214. VA pays you at the end of the month. You should expect to be paid on Aug 1st for the month of July. If you do not get paid on Aug 1st, then you will get paid on Sep 1st for the months of Jul and Aug.

QUOTE="gsfowler, post: 188027, member: 14174"]No, it can take up to 60 days for the VA to finalize your proposed claim.

Your VA pay will begin on the first of the month following the date that you receive your DD-214. VA pays you at the end of the month. You should expect to be paid on Aug 1st for the month of July. If you do not get paid on Aug 1st, then you will get paid on Sep 1st for the months of Jul and Aug.[/QUOTE]

I would still upload my DD214.

I faxed my DD214 to VA I called to verify that they had it. It still might take 60 days. I retired may 29. Submited dd214 on 1 june still waiting for my first VA payment. Remember there are audits that have to happen. I consider it money in the bank. Its coming. Don't worry about it.

So i medically retired 22Jun17 and I did not receive my check for the first of july which was expected. However, when I called the VA to see when I will start getting paid, they did say i have to wait for my Disability award letter to come in the mail. Then i can submit that to the registration office. I didn't upload my 214 to Ebenefits because my VA rep told me all I had to to was give him the copy when i got it which i did the day i received it. Am i missing something here? Also the Va said my claim was not closed out yet which i thought would happen as soon as i was discharged?
Did you ever receive your letter or your pay?

Give it 60 days. That s about standard. I retired 29 may. Got first payment in Aug.

Yes 1 Aug.
Awesome. By chance, was your letter available sooner than that or did it show up at the same time as the pay? I'm really hoping I can generate my VA letter quickly after my actual retirement date. I intend to upload my DD214 the moment it comes through.

I uploaded my dd214 one day after retirement. May 30.it still took 60days. You will get paid for July. They will held one month pending an audit.then when the audit is done you will get that money. The audit takes 6 months minimum,. So I'm still waiting for one month's pay.
My letter came before the pay showed up.

I uploaded my dd214 one day after retirement. May 30.it still took 60days. You will get paid for July. They will held one month pending an audit.then when the audit is done you will get that money. The audit takes 6 months minimum,. So I'm still waiting for one month's pay.
My letter came before the pay showed up.
Good to know. Right now I'm more concerned about the letter as we are buying a house and need it to prove eligibility for the various mortgage benefits. Hopefully my letter comes quickly after I get my DD214. Thanks again for the info!

I faxed my DD214 to VA I called to verify that they had it. It still might take 60 days. I retired may 29. Submited dd214 on 1 june still waiting for my first VA payment. Remember there are audits that have to happen. I consider it money in the bank. Its coming. Don't worry about it.

Mind if I ask when you started to get paid by the VA? I retired on the 29th of May this year and am trying to get a better picture of what I can expect. if it will be a 2-3 month or how long roughly.

My first payment came in August. It was for July. They held June payment until the audit was complete but I got it in Sep. So sep. Payment was for July and Aug.