VA Effective Date vs Payment Start Date

I sincerely appreciate you pointing me to a resource that clearly explains the answer to my question.
You're welcome. I am amazed that the VA customer service folks could not provide the background for "this is the way we do it."

Good luck,
Ron

You're welcome. I am amazed that the VA customer service folks could not provide the background for "this is the way we do it."

Good luck,
Ron
I know this thread is almost two years old, but it's still helping people. Thanks to both you and AaronB for having the conversation. I'm in the exact same boat.

I've researched, studied, and prepared for retirement and my VA claim for well over a year. What an overwhelming transition! But in all that time, all I ever heard was that VA pays a month behind. File a BDD and your claim will be effective as of your retirement date.

Well, I just retired, last day was Nov 30th, retirement effective date Dec 1, 2023. I filed a BDD claim months ago and received a decision Jan 8th stating my effective date was Dec 1, and Payment Start Date was Jan 1. The letter said if I'm due a payment, I would receive it in 7-10 days. It's been three weeks so I decided to call and just check the status.

The woman I spoke with was like talking to a recording on repeat. Just like Aaron said, all she kept saying was, "This is the way the VA pays benefits."

I said I didn't understand, and if I was "eligible for the entire month of December, why wouldn't I receive compensation for that month?" She said my eligibility date isn't the same as my payment start date. And payments are sent the 1st of the month following your payment start date. I'm like, cool...basically on repeat, with no real explanation. She never provided a reference or any further explanation. She kept repeating the same thing, then saying, "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" I'm like, anything ELSE? Nope, just help me with the thing you haven't helped with yet.

I think the best explanation is not to look at active duty retirements. Since we (always?) have to retire on the last day of the month, our effective date is the 1st of the following month. But others that file claims might submit well over a year after separation/retirement, and could be any day of the month. So if someone submits a claim, or intent to file, on say, January 18th, once they are awarded a percentage it would be effective Jan 18th, payment start date (**accrual** start date) would be Feb 1, and they should receive their first payment Mar 1.

To me, it makes a little more sense in that context. Basically just anyone with an effective date on the 1st of the month kind of gets screwed out of a whole month. Which...whatever. It is what it is. I just wish in all my prep and research I would have seen that somewhere, or that someone would have spelled that out better. Or that the VA Compensation help desk people would have a better way to explain it and maybe provide reference to the law.

Anyway, thanks again. Not thrilled with the answer, but at least I have a better understanding of it.