VA Examiner opined wrong condition

dwbell99

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Can anyone give me a reference for VA Examiner opined for Sciatica but VA rated for back condition

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Not to beat a dead horse, but it seems you are chasing the answer you want, not the answer already provided by other qualified people here on the forums?

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Can anyone give me a reference for VA Examiner opined for Sciatica but VA rated for back condition

i don't understand if you asking how you were rated for a back condition when you were diagnosed with sciatica?

If so the only thing you should been rated for is Sciatica, but it maxes out at 20%
Code 8720: Neuralgia of the sciatic nerve (“sciatica”). Neuralgia cannot be rated higher than moderate, even if it is considered severe. If the condition is moderate , it is rated 20%. If it is mild , it is rated 10%.

dwbell99

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I do not understand why my request is so hard to understand.

Can anyone give me a reference for VA Examiner opined for Sciatica but VA rated for back condition?

187thINF

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Not to beat a dead horse, but it seems you are chasing the answer you want, not the answer already provided by other qualified people here on the forums?
i don't understand if you asking how you were rated for a back condition when you were diagnosed with sciatica?

If so the only thing you should been rated for is Sciatica, but it maxes out at 20%
Code 8720: Neuralgia of the sciatic nerve (“sciatica”). Neuralgia cannot be rated higher than moderate, even if it is considered severe. If the condition is moderate , it is rated 20%. If it is mild , it is rated 10%.
Hey Heat; was all your claims submitted to VA prior to being referred for MEDBOARD; the process is usually longer due to all the medical evaluations..

I'm preparing to submit all my claims to VA; I just finish my unit annual physical, and I have nothing that will flag MEDBOARD; however, next PHA will definitely raised flag including PTSD.

Any thought/recommendations?

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I do not understand why my request is so hard to understand.

Can anyone give me a reference for VA Examiner opined for Sciatica but VA rated for back condition?

If the VA examiner was conducting the DBQ for thoracolumbar spine, there are sections which will allow the provider to opine an opinion regarding any neurological condition(s) that are related to the TS injury that they are examining. If they are to diagnose any neuropathy or neuralgia it will be typically rated as paralysis of the sciatic nerve. Section XIII on the DBQ provides the roadmap for the rating. The examination in itself is not very technical, they use a few methods that are objective in nature.

Since you asked for it, I will provide you with the manual references that guide the VA rater on what percentage they will derive based upon the DBQ.

Here is the link: https://www.knowva.ebenefits.va.gov...ter-4-Section-A-Musculoskeletal-Conditions#5a

Go to section III.IV.4.A.5

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">