VA Pay or DoD Pay or Both?

iGotItAtTarget

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and this is my first post. I hope I can put all the information into this so there are no gaps.

I am currently on terminal leave and my DD-214 is official on 28OCT18. I can't figure out how pay is going to work. I have tried going through the other forums to see if someone down the line has asked the same question before (which I am sure they have), I just can't find it.

I will be put on TDRL as an E-4 at 4.5 years (E-4 over 4). My VA rating is 90% and my DoD rating is 80%.

How do I calculate my pay? I know that VA pay with a spouse and 1 child is $2,041.68, and I have been told that I will be receiving 75% of my DoD base pay which comes out to $1867.95 (2490.60 x 0.75) before taxes.

Unfortunately, I have gotten multiple answers from the MSC's at Portsmouth, and from other Medically retired friends. Some saying I would only get the higher of the two and others saying I should get both. I have even had some say there is a special pay chart for my specific situation. Some have even said "We don't talk about it", which is a wild answer to me. When I was going through the classes that talk about the pay we would receive, we were told "If you are over 50% DoD and VA, you will receive both pay", but with all of the mixed answers, I just don't know what to do anymore. Plus when I am looking on the DFAS website or Google, I get lost in all of the acronyms.

I hope someone can help.

Oh okay I thought you was army. Ya from what I hear you get both dont you? Because it's two seperate things. Dod and va are two seperate payments. Also how long did it take you to get to your point? I got my unfit memo on the 9th of this month. Waiting on ratings?

There is a lot wrong with your assumptions. First, pay is calculated from your High-3, not your current base pay. Also (Unless I'm terribly mistaken), you cannot get Concurrent Draw unless you have over 20 years of qualifying service. Therefore, you must choose between your DOD pay (which would be taxed) or your VA disability (which would be more money and tax free). You cannot draw both.

Your final pay would be your VA rating @ 90%

There is a lot wrong with your assumptions. First, pay is calculated from your High-3, not your current base pay. Also (Unless I'm terribly mistaken), you cannot get Concurrent Draw unless you have over 20 years of qualifying service. Therefore, you must choose between your DOD pay (which would be taxed) or your VA disability (which would be more money and tax free). You cannot draw both.

Your final pay would be your VA rating @ 90%
lastlaugh, from what I have been told directly from the DoD medboard counselors, while on TDRL I will be receiving 75% of base pay because it is capped at 75%. I'm not sure if it changes to high-3 once I'm on PDRL instead.

Oh okay I thought you was army. Ya from what I hear you get both dont you? Because it's two seperate things. Dod and va are two seperate payments. Also how long did it take you to get to your point? I got my unfit memo on the 9th of this month. Waiting on ratings?
91B, I started my first LIMDU in September of 2016, so my process has been a little over 2 years. However, from the time my Medboard paperwork was sent out, it took 30 days exactly to get my UNFIT designation.

lastlaugh, from what I have been told directly from the DoD medboard counselors, while on TDRL I will be receiving 75% of base pay because it is capped at 75%. I'm not sure if it changes to high-3 once I'm on PDRL instead.

I would go by what they say then. However, I would advise you to do your own research on the matter. I have been thru 3 MEB's, and every single time I was given bad information by my PEBLO/Legal, and the board.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can chime in to provide some insight.

Here are a few websites that explain the CRDP program:

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html

https://themilitarywallet.com/concurrent-receipt-military-retirement-pay/

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.
Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…
  • you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. This was prohibited until the CRDP program began on January 1, 2004.

You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

—you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

—you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)

—you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

—you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

—-

DISABILITY RETIREMENT
The multiplier for disability retired pay is either:

—2.5 percent for each year of service,
or
—disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire
Either way, the multiplier is limited to 75 percent by law. If you are on the Temporary Disability Retired List, the minimum multiplier is 50 percent while on the TDRL.

High-3: If you entered active or reserve military service after September 7, 1980, your retired pay base is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay. If you served less than three years, your base will be the average monthly active duty basic pay during your period of service.

Retired Pay Formula
All of the retirement plans determine your monthly pay by multiplying your retired pay base (High 3 now for most) by a service percentage:

Retired Pay Base
x Service Percent Multiplier
= Gross Retired Pay

—-
You must waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

IF you are are eligible for CRDP (it appears you are not), it would allow a restoration of retired pay not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement. There is a complex computation to determine the amount for qualified disability retirees.

CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay associated with compensation for combat related disabilities. See https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html. To qualify for CRSC you must:

—be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
—be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
—waive your VA pay from your retired pay
—file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service

Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
—Armed Conflict
—Hazardous Duty
—An Instrumentality of War
—Simulated War

Last edited:
Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. This was prohibited until the CRDP program began on January 1, 2004.

—you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

—you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)

—you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

—you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

—-

DISABILITY RETIREMENT
The multiplier for disability retired pay is either:

—2.5 percent for each year of service,
or
—disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire
Either way, the multiplier is limited to 75 percent by law. If you are on the Temporary Disability Retired List, the minimum multiplier is 50 percent while on the TDRL.

High-3: If you entered active or reserve military service after September 7, 1980, your retired pay base is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay. If you served less than three years, your base will be the average monthly active duty basic pay during your period of service.

Retired Pay Formula
All of the retirement plans determine your monthly pay by multiplying your retired pay base (High 3 now for most) by a service percentage:

Retired Pay Base
x Service Percent Multiplier
= Gross Retired Pay

—-
You must waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

IF you are are eligible for CRDP (it appears you are not), it would allow a restoration of retired pay not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement. There is a complex computation to determine the amount for qualified disability retirees.

CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay associated with compensation for combat related disabilities. See https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html. To qualify for CRSC you must:

—be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
—be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
—waive your VA pay from your retired pay
—file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service

Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
—Armed Conflict
—Hazardous Duty
—An Instrumentality of War
—Simulated War
RonG, so I will be only recieving VA right? Thats what I am getting out of all of this. Also, BOOMER SOONER! LOL.

Dear Sooner,

Since I was born and raised In Texas, I enjoyed the Sooners Vs. Longhorns game last week. Admittedly, the Sooners usually have had the better team in recent years (over both the Cowboys and Longhorns).

All your retired pay will be waived/lost if your VA Comp amount is more. If there was any residual retired pay (left over), you would keep that.

From the info you posted, you are not eligible for CRDP. If your injuries are combat related, you should look into CRSC.

Bottom line: Unless you have combat related disabilities, all you will receive is your VA compensation.

Ron