VA Payment

Bigsink

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
QUICK QUESTION. When leaving active duty army, does the VA comp start date begin 1 day after your last day of active duty (Final Out day) or 1 day after finishing terminal leave?

It starts the first day of the month following the completion of your leave. So if your leave ends on Aug 15, your VA benefits would start on Sep 1st. However the VA pays the previous month so your first check from the VA would be Oct 1st but you would still get an EOM check from the Army on Sep 1st covering the through 15 Aug.

Hope this didn't confuse you...

It starts the first day of the month following the completion of your leave. So if your leave ends on Aug 15, your VA benefits would start on Sep 1st. However the VA pays the previous month so your first check from the VA would be Oct 1st but you would still get an EOM check from the Army on Sep 1st covering the through 15 Aug.

Hope this didn't confuse you...
No you didn't confuse me. Thats what I thought. I'm like 4 days away from being done and started second guessing my decision. I had someone telling me to take terminal leave and not sell it back and they made it sound as if once I sign out from the Army, my VA would begin to process.

If you are single you probably are fine having sold it back but if you have dependents it is kind of bad because you don't get the BAH and what not when you sell leave.

If you are single you probably are fine having sold it back but if you have dependents it is kind of bad because you don't get the BAH and what not when you sell leave.
I'm actually coming out better selling my leave and starting my VA Comp.