VA Rating Prior to MEB

I know this is old, but what is the "Pending 020" phrase referring to?

Thanks!
It was in the VA M21-4. Reopened Claims - Compensation

General: EP 020 applies to reopened disability compensation or service-connected death claims. Unless otherwise noted, the EP will not be cleared until all issues raised by the claim have been resolved.
Disability claims: Reopened claims related to service connection, line of duty or similar basic entitlement factors and claims for increase, are generally the disability claims applicable to EP 020.

020 - Reopened Claims - Compensation (continued) Examples:
· Claims for disability compensation filed for the first time, but received after a disability pension claim has previously been filed and adjudicated.
· Claims for service connection for disabilities not previously adjudicated.
· Claims for service connection based on the same disability considered in prior disallowances.
· Claims for increase in degree of service-connected disability.
· Claims for total disability due to unemployability.
· Claims for SMC or increase in SMC.
· Claims for increase or reconsideration filed subsequent to admission for hospital treatment.
· Letters and memoranda from Veterans, claimants or their representatives which make reasonable references to increase in compensation and/or entitlement to compensation.
· REPS claims, if the issue of service connection has not been considered in a prior claim for death benefits or if the date of incurrence or aggravation of disability cannot be determined without additional rating action.
· Claims for helpless children based on compensation entitlement.

Exceptions:
· Compensation grants based on Board of Veterans’ Appeals (BVA) review (see EP 172).
· When all benefits sought on appeal in a compensation claim are granted without BVA’s review (see EP 172). EP 020 will not be recorded for issuance of a statement of the case, supplemental statement of the case, or certification of appeal (see EPs 172 & 070).
· Claims based solely on relationship or dependency (see EP 130).
· Hospitalization adjustments (see EP 135).
· Reopened burial claims (see EP 160).

I know this is old, but what is the "Pending 020" phrase referring to?

Thanks!
Found on reddit: "To simplify… a 020 claim is a secondary claim for benefits. So not your first claim but second or third. If you didn’t request something (an audit of payments) something might have triggered a review."

Found on reddit: "To simplify… a 020 claim is a secondary claim for benefits. So not your first claim but second or third. If you didn’t request something (an audit of payments) something might have triggered a review."
So if I'm understanding correctly, putting the "I do not wish to file for VA compensation with the MSC/IDES Program. I am currently SC 100%. Please continue to process my pending 020"

could be simplified by saying,

"Don't process me for VA compensation, please continue to process my DoD/MEB related claim"

Is that right?

Last edited: