VA Rating Reconsideration Timeline

I've looked through the forums and haven't found anything relatively recent. I'm wondering what the average timeline is from requesting the VARR to having an answer? Also once I request the VARR, will I have to go through exams again?

I'm trying to figure out this next step, assuming I hear from SAFPC within the next month. Thanks

I have seen anywhere from 10 to 30 days for a VARR to come back. You should not have to go through any more exams, with the VARR, you provide justification for a higher rating to the VA and they typically weigh the evidence.

My VARR was completed within 7 days, and by the time I had signed and turned my updated DA199 to transition the 90 days had started. And I got my orders the next day of turning my DA31. Every thing happened so quickly even during the time of holidays.

My VARR was completed within 7 days, and by the time I had signed and turned my updated DA199 to transition the 90 days had started. And I got my orders the next day of turning my DA31. Every thing happened so quickly even during the time of holidays.
Do you happen to remember which office you submitted your VARR? Mine was sent to Seattle despite me being in the National Capital Region.

Thanks!

I just reviewed the Monday morning report and VARR timing is not reported. So its hard to know if the cases above reflect the average.

Best wishes
Mike

Thank you that gives me an idea of how quick I need to have my LAS application ready for submission.

I just reviewed the Monday morning report and VARR timing is not reported. So its hard to know if the cases above reflect the average.

Best wishes
Mike

Understand, like everything else in this process, I just wanted to get an idea.

My VARR was submitted to Fort Sam, it could be the reason it went pretty fast.

All VARRs go to Seattle. i should be submitting mine today, will let you know how long it takes to get back. right now i am looking at 20% DoD, 100%VA. Need at least 30% DoD to be medically retired.

About two months each for the two I submitted.

I just submitted a "Request for Reconsideration" with new evidence today. Talked with my VA Rep and he suggested this route. I only have 11 days till my one year window closes. Should I also submit a "Notice of Disagreement" before that final date? Does the VARR extend the clock?

I just submitted a "Request for Reconsideration" with new evidence today. Talked with my VA Rep and he suggested this route. I only have 11 days till my one year window closes. Should I also submit a "Notice of Disagreement" before that final date? Does the VARR extend the clock?

I'm confused by the 11 days until your one year window closes. Are you going through an MEB or are you out of the military?

If we are asking for a VA reconsideration and sending in new evidence, when we get our (hopefully new) ratings, do we still get to pick our separation date? Or does the military pick it because we extended the process by choosing to have a re-evaluation?

TIA!

If we are asking for a VA reconsideration and sending in new evidence, when we get our (hopefully new) ratings, do we still get to pick our separation date? Or does the military pick it because we extended the process by choosing to have a re-evaluation?

TIA!
I did a VARR and was told I couldn't pick my date because of it. This was about 2 weeks ago. I am now just waiting for the Navy to send me retirement orders which will tell me my date. Sucks because I was told it could take 6-8 weeks and it another surprise .

I did a VARR and was told I couldn't pick my date because of it. This was about 2 weeks ago. I am now just waiting for the Navy to send me retirement orders which will tell me my date. Sucks because I was told it could take 6-8 weeks and it another surprise .
Thanks for responding. Gosh, that's frustrating and disappointing!

TIA!

That will be dictated by the PDA/TRANSPROC but should at the least provide time for PTDY and whatever leave you have accrued up to 60 days.

Yes. VERY. I just got my message today with a date. So it only took about 3 weeks. Good luck.

Congrats on finally getting your date. I hope it goes smoothly from here on out!

We requested the formal board first and are now canceling it because we have all the new medical evidence for a proper VARR. The lawyer told us today that the new package will go to the Navy Yard in DC for reconsideration with a senior processing agent to look over. He said we could expect an answer by spring 2017 with how things are going.

Anyone else hear that things are that far out with VARRs?

Yes. VERY. I just got my message today with a date. So it only took about 3 weeks. Good luck.
@TIFFANYYOR23 Do you mean retirement orders? Do you know your EAOS now?

Did you see any movement on ebenefits after turning in the VARR?

Last edited:
Do you mean retirement orders? Do you know your EAOS now?

Did you see any movement on ebenefits after turning in the VARR?

Hi there!

We just submitted our new evidence today to our attorney. He still has to do a write-up on his behalf, and then he will submit that to the attorney in Washington, DC which will simultaneously cancel our FPEB request. We stopped looking at eBenefits to save our sanity. It's never updated. lol