VA rating vs. Army

arcticpiper

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thought for the group...
My PEBLO called me on Wednesday and told me my rating. VA rated me 100%, Army rated me 100% . I should get the paperwork tomorrow (depending on FEDEX). I posed a question earlier this weekend on what the 100% from the Army means. I was informed that it means if I elect to take the Army's 100%, I would receive 75% of my high 3 base pay. As a E7 that would be the same amount if I took the VA payment. From what I understand, the 75% of the high 3 would be taxed but the VA 100% would not. Both payments before taxes is within $100ish of each other. I'm leaning towards taking the VA since its supposed to be tax free.
What's your opinion?

Take the VA

Take the VA, and maybe you'll get $50 bucks a month from the DoD for beer money.

You do not really choose. DFAS pays what is most advantageous to you. You will get all of the VA C&P which should be just under your 75%, then the remainder of that will be given to you as taxable income.

If any of your rated conditions meet the definition of combat related per the CRSC rules, you can apply to have some or all of the VA offset restored.

If you have 20 or more you get both. VA and CRDP which is nice . If not Va pay then file for CRSC and get the money you earned.

So, can i Apply for CRDP? the Army rated me with 20% but, changed it to 30% because of CRSC? I'm a PH VA 100% Unemployable. Med board had only rated me for my leg injury but not for PTSD? Where can I apply for CRDP any website or Postal address??

So, can i Apply for CRDP? the Army rated me with 20% but, changed it to 30% because of CRSC? I'm a PH VA 100% Unemployable. Med board had only rated me for my leg injury but not for PTSD? Where can I apply for CRDP any website or Postal address??

You apply through the HRC website. https://www.hrc.army.mil/tagd/CRSC

You do not really choose. DFAS pays what is most advantageous to you. You will get all of the VA C&P which should be just under your 75%, then the remainder of that will be given to you as taxable income.

If any of your rated conditions meet the definition of combat related per the CRSC rules, you can apply to have some or all of the VA offset restored.
All are rated a disability caused by "an instrument of war, during war time."

20 years not 20 percent sorry. If you don't have atleast 30% DOD to get retired you can't have CRSC.

DFAS will give you the one that is best for you. If you want less $ you can write DFAS and tell them you want the other option. I'd love to see those letters. ;-)