VA Ratings turnaround

ECorrinex345

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Does anyone know how long the VA is taking to process claims/ratings ? I was found unfit 24 September and my Case was then forwarded to the VA for ratings.

Does anyone know how long the VA is taking to process claims/ratings ? I was found unfit 24 September and my Case was then forwarded to the VA for ratings.
Every case is different depending on the amount and complexity of the issues. I was found unfit 22AUG18 by IPEB and claims are still at VA on 9OCT18. Called my VA MSC and he indicated my MEB claims are "hung up" due to a individual claim I file 22DEC17 pre MEB notification. VA wants to provide one assessment to cover everything as I transition out. Makes sense and I can wait. Dates are changing on eBenefits so that is an indicator things are moving along. MSC estimated 15 to 30 days and the claim is now scheduled to close 13OCT - 18 OCT 2018. Then the results will go back to IPEB for DoD rating. Every case is different and the canned answer is 4 to 8 weeks.

How long did it take from the time your PEBLO submitted your case to the IPEB till the IPEB found you unfit? Also, how many VA claims you have?

How long did it take from the time your PEBLO submitted your case to the IPEB till the IPEB found you unfit? Also, how many VA claims you have?
PEBLO indicated UNFIT the first week. Filed AUG13 and informal UNFIT through PEBLO on 22AUG18. I had three previous "increases" and three new claims to process for the LOD IDES.

vaquestionanonymous,

My PEB package was submitted on 25 September and I was found unfit on 9 October. My package is with the VA now. It was a very stressful 14 days waiting on the fit/unfit decision...

VA received my claim on 2 July. Its still listed as "Review of Evidence" on E-benefits

VA received my claim on 2 July. Its still listed as "Review of Evidence" on E-benefits
VA received my claim a little after yours. I called the Providence number this morning to see the status. The guy stated that they are a month behind and there is a huge stack of about 30 claims they need to process. He also said they will start from the longest claim times. He said I was semi near the top. You claim date is earlier than mine so hopefully you should be the top people to find out.

I called on monday. The guy who answered got an attitude with me, told me I couldnt "double dip" and that my rating would not be returned until I am discharged. Absolute idiots

I called on monday. The guy who answered got an attitude with me, told me I couldnt "double dip" and that my rating would not be returned until I am discharged. Absolute idiots
Yeah sometimes I get rude people but the guy today was extremely nice and helpful. Sounds like the guy on Monday had the "Monday Blues."

Just got off the phone with them. Guy was extremely nice. Said that he estimates my claim to be done on or around 6 Nov.

I just have to figure out if Medical retirements have to be on the first day of the month also, or if I can do it mid month.

Called Monday too, I bet I got the same guy right after you. Got an attitude about why people call that number, and that I wont know until I'm discharged. Refused to look anything up or give any sort of status other than "it doesnt work that way"

Same number two weeks ago a nice dude with a north eastern accent gave me a ton of info and BS'd with me for 30 minutes about federal jobs. Told me exactly where the package was and what work was being done.

Exams were done 6 Feb, the request for ratings from the PEB was sent to the VA 26 September, confirmed by the VA two weeks ago. Still pending approval on Ebenefits.

Last edited:
Maybe being from Providence Rhode Island will work out in my favor? lol

Got my ratings back today!

20% DOD (Down from 70% when I was approved for LAS)
100% VA

For those of you with 100%, how do I know if it is P&T? I'm asking because I am interested in Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (which only applies to P&T persons.

I am currently going thru IDES ( at the IPEB phase now ). I am National guard with prior combat injuries that have gotten worse over time.

Currently at 90% VA with IU (unemployable) so paid at the 100% rate.

When I received this last rating decision one of the decision blocks was "Dependants Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)" with an effective date. In the explanation paragraph the last sentence was " Basic eligibility to Dependants Education Assistance is granted as of BLAH BLAH, the day the evidence showed you had a total service connected disability, permanent in nature."

That was the only way I knew it was considered P&T.......

Hope this helps..

Yep, I saw it on the last page of my rating. (The exact sentence you mentioned). My PEBLO had no idea what I was talking about.