VA Recon/FPEB

logcpt

Registered Member
Long time reader first time poster.

When I first received my DA 199 I elected to do a Formal Board and a VA Recon. Purpose of the FPEB was to change NON combat zone to combat zone. Which I know has no monetary benefit, I just wanted to correct the record. I did a VA Recon to have my unfitting condition (asthma) changed from 30% to 60%. Reason being that they did not account for the Prednisone I had been prescribed at least 5 times within the last year (I also have to see the physician once a month for Xolair shots, take symbicort twice a day).

My board was today and I did not end up doing the VTC portion because the FPEB concured with my request to have the combat zone part changed about an hour before my board was scheduled. However, they sent me a new 199 that does not reflect any changes in the percentage. I talked to my PEBLO and she was clueless, she was confused that I was even doing a VA Recon even though it was submitted through her.

Is this correct? Or should my new 199 reflect the VA Recon at this stage?

Any help would be much appreciated. I assumed the VA Recon was a different fight but I know the request should have gone through the PEB so shouldn't they be tracking that?

Thanks.

logcpt

Registered Member
Thanks to my outstanding counsel at Lewis I was able to get this resolved today. Apparently two things may have happened.

1. My PEBLO never forwarded the VARR to the PEB (may be very likely).

2. Around SEP/OCT the PEB started holding VARRs until completion of the FPEB. Before they were sending VARRs directly to the VA upon receipt. It is possible that mine was lost during the change in SOP.

I would advise everyone to watch out for this if you have an FPEB anytime soon. It is possible that, thanks to this site, I had enough knowledge to question it, where others may have not noticed and just signed the 199 not knowing the VARR is a separate ordeal.

I am grateful we have people advocating for us and places like this site to go to for advice. The PEB accepted my VARR and my counsel was even able to update it with new evidence showing I have three more prednisone prescriptions since the original VARR was done in early SEP. This brings my current prednisone prescriptions up to 7 within the last year, with 4 the year prior to that.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site, I have gained a wealth of knowledge from it.

Robert Albright

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Long time reader first time poster.

When I first received my DA 199 I elected to do a Formal Board and a VA Recon. Purpose of the FPEB was to change NON combat zone to combat zone. Which I know has no monetary benefit, I just wanted to correct the record. I did a VA Recon to have my unfitting condition (asthma) changed from 30% to 60%. Reason being that they did not account for the Prednisone I had been prescribed at least 5 times within the last year (I also have to see the physician once a month for Xolair shots, take symbicort twice a day).

My board was today and I did not end up doing the VTC portion because the FPEB concured with my request to have the combat zone part changed about an hour before my board was scheduled. However, they sent me a new 199 that does not reflect any changes in the percentage. I talked to my PEBLO and she was clueless, she was confused that I was even doing a VA Recon even though it was submitted through her.

Is this correct? Or should my new 199 reflect the VA Recon at this stage?

Any help would be much appreciated. I assumed the VA Recon was a different fight but I know the request should have gone through the PEB so shouldn't they be tracking that?

Thanks.
I got my new 199 back, on the 30th of November, after the FPEB at JBLM. However, my attorney, from the soldier's council, emailed it to me with an explanation that it was not the final 199. She explained, in the email, that they must wait on new percentages from the VA before the final 199 can be completed. She also stated that it would be several more weeks before the new ratings will come back.

On the 199 I received, my new conditions were added without percentages; old conditions had the same percentages. I also requested a VA recon prior to the FPEB (got caught up in the change) and have submitted evidence to have one of my previous percentages changed.

logcpt

Registered Member
I got my new 199 back, on the 30th of November, after the FPEB at JBLM. However, my attorney, from the soldier's council, emailed it to me with an explanation that it was not the final 199. She explained, in the email, that they must wait on new percentages from the VA before the final 199 can be completed. She also stated that it would be several more weeks before the new ratings will come back.

On the 199 I received, my new conditions were added without percentages; old conditions had the same percentages. I also requested a VA recon prior to the FPEB (got caught up in the change) and have submitted evidence to have one of my previous percentages changed.
Thanks Robert. It sounds very similar to my situation except that the PEB had never received my original VARR. Which leads me to believe that my PEBLO never sent it in the first place. But I can't complain as everything worked itself out.

So did you have to sign the 199 from 30 NOV agreeing to the FPEB findings and elect to do a VARR again? That is what they are having me do. It makes sense to me but just curious what you did.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">