VA Recoupment and DoD Retirement

Pyro

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I got a letter from the VA saying they will make the determination of my recoupment on the 21st, how nice. 2 years ago They backpaid me while on military orders, they are correct. So I’m 100% DoD as well as VA and I’m lucky enough where my DoD is higher than the VA, I do not get concurrent receipt though. So my question is, when the VA starts taking back it’s due, will my DoD retirement adjust to more or less compinsate for loss of VA pay? (Minus tax hit). I’m 100% perm DoD but 100% temp VA for now. (Cancer). Thank you!

Pyro - Good to hear from you again. I also just got a letter of recoupment form the VA, as I have also (like you) been on military orders getting VA pay. I expected this to happen, and as of now they are asking for the 2017 backpay to be refunded. I do not have a DoD rating, but being a Regular Retiree it will be 50%. I am wondering if I would get any higher, but do not believe I will?

Nobody?

So I got a letter from the VA saying they will make the determination of my recoupment on the 21st, how nice. 2 years ago They backpaid me while on military orders, they are correct. So I’m 100% DoD as well as VA and I’m lucky enough where my DoD is higher than the VA, I do not get concurrent receipt though. So my question is, when the VA starts taking back it’s due, will my DoD retirement adjust to more or less compinsate for loss of VA pay? (Minus tax hit). I’m 100% perm DoD but 100% temp VA for now. (Cancer). Thank you!

I do not believe the the DoD will change, as the VA offset is still the same, they are just recouping money out of the offset. I'll look for the appropriate VA guidance.

Yes, because I waived the DoD pay.

I believe the future VA payments will be less. At least this is what was done in my case in the past.

I did recently receive a letter from the VA saying they were going to recoup for drill days I did in FY17. This was already recouped. I wrote them back and provided the details and amounts showing it has already been recouped. I was retired in April 2018 from the reserves. The letter did mention if no response was received the recoupment would begin with the same date, 21FEB2019. I am still waiting to hear back about the response I sent. I know I owe for drill days in FY18 but not the amount they were asking for. 63 drill days I think it was. They just go off of the one weekend a month and 2 weeks for AT to get their number of days.

I didn't drill every month in FY17 and FY18 was maybe 4 days total. I was already going thru the MEB and on my way out in FY17/FY18.

I know the time has to be paid back and for most, having the VA recoup the money is typically the most beneficial to the service member, but I do not want to get hit twice and then have to spend who knows how long trying to show the VA they made a mistake.

Seeing how I am now CH 61, I do not have a commander to sign the form when I made the remarks that 0 days should be recouped as it was already completed.

Time will tell.

landmine - I am in the same situation as you are. I have sent the full amount for 2017 drill days to be paid back, and am expecting a letter for the 2018 days recoupment. I also fear they will not properly apply my payment for 2017 and start the allotment from my VA pay? I HOPE NOT! Grrrr......

flyin_dutchman,

The big that concerns me is having a commanders signature on the paperwork since I am no longer in. I hope it all works out like it should for us all. If and when I get a response back I will let you all know what happens.

Wouldn't a new claim pop up for the recoupment if they just decide to start the withholdings? I was looking at my old claims trying to find one for drill pay. I thought I had seen them there before but can't find them. I guess March 1st will tell a lot if I don't hear back from the VA by then.

Mine was different, they said they’d make a decision on 26 Feb, then let us know what they decide.