VA vs. Military compensation

Rjohnson87

Registered Member
So I have been trying to do as much research as I can as I am probably going to be going through an MEB soon. But I wanted to find out What is the difference between Military retirement versus VA disability compensation?

Hypothetically lets say I go through the med board and I get the 30% needed to be medically retired, I will get compensation from DOD for the rest of the time I'm alive, as well as still have access to any Base and base facilities correct? So then would I need to do anything with the VA? I cant double-dip.

And another hypothetical, lets say I get medically discharged, then I would go through the VA for medical benefits correct? And I would receive a severance from the military for my 10+ years of service. BUT, I would have to pay my severance money back to receive any compensation from the VA?

I'm trying to connect all my Dots to make sure I make the best decision I can for myself if I'm recommended for medical discharge.

Drbadillo

Registered Member
So I have been trying to do as much research as I can as I am probably going to be going through an MEB soon. But I wanted to find out What is the difference between Military retirement versus VA disability compensation?

Hypothetically lets say I go through the med board and I get the 30% needed to be medically retired, I will get compensation from DOD for the rest of the time I'm alive, as well as still have access to any Base and base facilities correct? So then would I need to do anything with the VA? I cant double-dip.

And another hypothetical, lets say I get medically discharged, then I would go through the VA for medical benefits correct? And I would receive a severance from the military for my 10+ years of service. BUT, I would have to pay my severance money back to receive any compensation from the VA?

I'm trying to connect all my Dots to make sure I make the best decision I can for myself if I'm recommended for medical discharge.

I just went through the whole process for not being able to take a PT test due to testicular pain. I know for a fact your can "DOUBLE DIP". You can get a DOD rating and also a VA rating. I received 0% from DOD and 100% from VA because of so many claims. You need to make sure you do the VA to show something happened to you during you time in service. If you get 30% DOD rating and a severance then you will have to pay back 30% of that severance, if you can get what I am saying. I got 0% so I will pay back 0% of the severance that I will receive. The severance is 2 x your base pay x years in service and taxed at about 27%. VA compensation is non taxed as DOD compensation is taxed. 30% DOD does give you medical for you and your family the remainder of your life and since you are considered retired then yes you have base access.

I hope I answered all your questions if not then ask here of PM me. Have a good day and good luck on your journey.

PEB started OCT 2017 complete Jan 2018

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">