VARR timeline

sapper27

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Greetings,

I was found unfit for both my lower back and L/Side Hip and received a rating of 20% DOD and 90%VA. My VARR was submitted on 18 DEC 22. Long story short like many others on here my ROM was way off and the info was way off. I had taken the advice of a few other members on this site about having my surgeon who performed my L/Hip Surgery to fill out a DBQ and it in my opinion should give me retirement.

Below is the ROM

DC codes 5251, 5252, 5253, and 5054 are all for my hip

My ROM for the L/side hip was: 0-42 flexion should get 10% per VASRD, adduction 0-5 and inability to cross legs should get 10% per the VASRD, Extension was 0 degrees which should be 10% per the VASRD.

DC Code 5054 my attorney is kinda yoloing for the 50%, However I do have residual weakness and all that yadayada. Is this code only for hip replacements or does it include hip joint resurfaces as well? Has anyone seen this get rated other than 0% for not having the hip replacement?

Secondly for DC code 5237, I had a PT do my ROM for my lower back and it came back as 0-15 degrees forward flexion, and we are filing for 40%. Does anyone know how the VA typically rates stuff from a PT rather than a C&P examiner? Or in lamer terms do they give credit more towards the examiner than my PT?

Lastly, anyone know how fast VARR's are going right now from experience? Attorney told me 4 weeks for this process and that put me in late Jan 2023.

Thanks in advance!

Given the holidays I estimate three weeks.

Update, according to my MSC the VA has sent back my VARR to the PEB, other than that no one is telling me anything. I am assuming that I am awaiting my DA 199 from the PEB from my ever so helpful PEBLO. Seems I got dealt the short straw in terms of a quality PEBLO all the while just finding out I am her first worked case. Just my luck...

Update. As of January 6th, 2023. 60% DOD | 100% VA.

Best bit of advice was from this forum about getting my surgeon to do the dbq as well as getting a off post Physical therapist to do a eval on my ROM for lower back.

3x 10% for L/side hip conditions rated above in this thread and 40% lumbar strain w/synovial cysts.

Cannot thank the content creators and many contributors to this forum for my successful VARR outcome after this stressful process. My family thanks you all and please have a happy new year!

This grizzled ol’ Sapper is done with the Army and onto the next chapter of my life!

Update.

For anyone awaiting to hit the Transpoc list I just called PDA at 8557933372 and got told that the system has been down since 23DEC22. They have no idea as to when their systems will be back online. So annoying. I will probably call at least every other day until it comes back online lol. Has anyone gotten retirement orders recently?

Update.

USAPDA systems are still down. Called today and got the same conversation about how they are waiting on their HQ to allow them to process packets. Do not know whether this is a system issue or a process issue on their end. Anyone else heard anything about getting retirement orders?

Thanks.

Update.

System is back up and running slowly at USAPDA. Got told by a polite GS CIV told I should be on TRANSPOC in a couple days hopefully. Here's to hoping. I am itching to be out so badly at this point.

Update.

Got my PDA notification. Now just to get my unit to sign my leave form in the new "IPPS-A" system "Wonderful", then do my med counseling for Retirement orders. Next clear post, claim my DD214, and then go get my retiree card and hat to go talk to Soldier's in the exchange "about back in my day".

Update.

Got my PDA notification. Now just to get my unit to sign my leave form in the new "IPPS-A" system "Wonderful", then do my med counseling for Retirement orders. Next clear post, claim my DD214, and then go get my retiree card and hat to go talk to Soldier's in the exchange "about back in my day".
Good to hear it’s back up - I’m just waiting to hit TRANSPOC and get orders as well

Anyone who has submitted a VARR recently - is the timeline to hear back from the VA a few weeks or a month plus?

Good to hear it’s back up - I’m just waiting to hit TRANSPOC and get orders as well
You should see it soon. If not call that number and ask them about your packets status. Also filing for a expedited process will help speed it up. Situations like job, college, and other things will be approved by the peb/pda. You have to get cdr/xo to sign a memo for peb expedition.

Anyone who has submitted a VARR recently - is the timeline to hear back from the VA a few weeks or a month plus?
Once you file, it can take 2-4 weeks. In my case mine was in 2 weeks, however the peb had to run its course of signatures, and many other processes before I saw my ratings. A good measure is once you see you case drop from the active list give it a week and some change and you should see the ratings in your 199